Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox Bus, Sbus or long extensions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox Bus, Sbus or long extensions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 06:32 AM
Jetfan20
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerbox Bus, Sbus or long extensions

Hi all,

With the size of some jets getting bigger. What are you guys using as far as servo extensions? Powerbox powerbus system, Futaba Sbus or the long runs of heavy duty extensions. Pros and cons? I'm considering the Powerbus system for a big Viper, just don't have much experience with the it. I do have experience with Powerbox, just not their powerbus stuff. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-13-2018, 08:40 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

We have used Powerbus on numerous jets, it works well. But HD leads on any PB unit works well too, since they boost single on each servo socket. If your run is under 3m I’d run leads, it gets rid of single failure points. In my mind Bus systems are for the super large models

Powerbox now offer a super HD lead in their pro range

Dave
Old 10-13-2018, 10:50 AM
Jetfan20
My Feedback: (21)

Hi Dave, Thanks for your reply. Its for the XXL Viper 133" length. The longest runs would be the 2 elevators and rudder. I Thought about giving the powerbus a go, I just didn't know the feedback on the setup. I think I'll stick with the HD leads.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:34 PM
Dave Wilshere

We built one for a customer, used a PB Royal and std PB extension wire, no issues at all

Dave
Old 10-14-2018, 07:53 AM
tassos p

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi there,

I only use Powerbox Bus system, with Power bus to Bus adapters and SBUS servos. Fantastic combo, doesn't really matter where you connect the servos on the Powerbus to Bus adapter- you can't get it wrong. All you have to do is set the address on the SBUS servo.

There are so many PROS to list, here some that come to mind:
1) Single (or dual) cable used to run through the fus
2) I actually split Powerbus A & B to left and right side of the fuselage, keeping the elevator common of course.
3) You cannot mess the connections as they're on a bus, ie you can connect any SBUS servo to any port in the Powerbus to Bus adapter
4) Less cables, less soldering, less weight
5) If your fus splits in 2 the powerbus cables are very easy to lay and connect (I have one case like this with 8 servos on the bus cables which if I didn't I would have to find a way to quick connect 3x8=24 wires)
6) You can connect (in theory) as many servos on the Powerbus and still have available the servo outputs on the Powerbox. For example if some servos are not SBUS you can connect directly to the Powerbox. For example you can connect the Rudder servo on the Powerbus and the steering servo directly on the Powerbox.
7) Transit from one radio brand to another is a piece of cake. I've so far shifted 3 of my jets from Futaba to Jeti. Piece of cake, I just changed the protocol on the Powerbox Royal and programmed the same channel functions on Jeti as I had in Futaba. For example if Throttle channel is 3 on Futaba, I also used 3 on Jeti. If left Aileron is 4 on Futaba, I programmed it to be channel 4 on Jeti as well and so on...
8) The powerbus to bus adapter - has protection against short circuits https://www.powerbox-systems.com/pro...us-to-bus.html so basically it enhances dramatically the SBUS system of Futaba. If you use a simple SBUS architecture and there's a short-circuit this is transmitted back to the source of the SBUS (lets say the receiver). However if you use the PB adapter then each output is protected against short circuit (in theory - never happened to me though).
9) You can also use non-SBUS servos or other devices (valves, gear door actuators etc) by using this adapter https://www.powerbox-systems.com/pro...us-to-pwm.html in series

CONS
I think the only disadvantage is the programming on the PB but once you get the hang of the different menus (ie input mapping, output mapping, PBUS, igyro) then its straight forward simple

I'm not changing this arrangement any time soon to any of my jets.

Good luck.

Tassos
Old 10-14-2018, 08:48 AM
Dave Wilshere

The biggest con is one connector fails all the servos at the end of the line fail with it. We get around that to a degree by bonding the connector in some way so it becomes almost permanent.
because of the PB connector choice and quality it’s a very unlikely failure, but it is there.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:31 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been using the Emcotec (formerly Robbe) wiring system that they sell with the PSS2018 power dist units, I've used this for Sbus installs and to extend Jeti EXbus (e.g. from the CB200 or CB400 to a CB100 in the tail area).

Of course you can use this wiring system with any power dist system.

Nice heavy wires, and robust connectors. They sell all the parts ala carte. They have insulation displacement (clamp-on) adapters for Sbus and non-Sbus servos too.

The PowerBox PowerBus seems very nice too but I don't have any experience with it. Do they use polyfuses to trip on an overload? If so do we know at what current they trip?

Dave McQ
Old 10-18-2018, 09:18 PM
Airliner-rc
My Feedback: (1)

I'm using Power Box wires (white, red, blue) from servos to S.Bus hub and Power Box wires (yellow, black, red) from hub to PowerBox.
Each Power Bus entry working with 10-11 servos (total 21 servos), wires from servos to hub up to 2 meters. No problem.