Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

1/7 Scale Blackburn Buccaneer All Composite Scratch Build

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

1/7 Scale Blackburn Buccaneer All Composite Scratch Build

Old 11-14-2018, 10:09 AM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Simply awesome. I love seeing how you are merging new technology with traditional plug making.

Gary
Old 11-18-2018, 05:15 PM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

First time the entire fuselage plug has been assembled. The sheer bulk of it is somewhat daunting. It's going to be a Monster!

Forward and rear sections have been glassed, filled and re-glassed. Center section has had the initial glass layer applied, ready for sanding, filling and re-glassing. Once all sections have been double glassed I will epoxy on the fin and spine sections before adding primer and surface coat.

Paul
Old 11-18-2018, 07:42 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Great thread Paul. I have 2 questions:

1.) Do the large plastic parts warp much after you print them?
​2.) During shaping, did you have any problem with the ply formers "showing through" due to the different properties of the wood and the foam)... the starving horse look.

Bonus question: did you think about printing the whole plug?

I am enjoying this thread thanks for taking the time to post, I know it takes time.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:14 AM
JSF-TC

Hi Matt,

Thanks. Glad you are enjoying it.

For warping of the 3d printed parts, initially I was printing with ABS which did suffer from warping and splitting on some of the larger parts. When I bought my own printer I quickly discovered PETG which has all the benefits of ABS but with minimal shrinkage & warping. All the parts I print now are done with PETG. It is a little harder to sand than ABS, but that is about the only downside I see to using it.

Yes, on initial sanding it is easy to get the 'starved horse' effect, but that is where the initial Spackle filler comes in along with filling any damage to the blue foam and hiding any mistakes. The blue foam is surprisingly hard to sand over large areas - the hand-held belt sander was a huge help and I would then finish up with a power orbital sander to help get the final shape. Putting the first layer of glass down gives a good base to use the body filler (I use Icing) to fair over any remaining surface defects and to develop the final shape. I have then been using a final layer of glass to seal everything plus I have heard that climate changes can cause the ply to show through given the different expansion rates of the ply and foam. My 2 layers of glass (both 9oz satin twill weave) are an attempt to mitigate that effect - fingers crossed that it is sufficient.

I did very briefly consider printing the whole plug but not really a practical proposition on my small printer. If I had access to Thomas's (Invertmast) monster printer then I may well have done that. I did ask Oli to quote for his robot machining of the plug, but he never got back to me - a solid wood plug would have probably weighed a ton or more.

Paul
Old 11-19-2018, 12:24 PM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

looks like you may need a larger carriage! beautiful work and thanks for sharing. I appreciate all you are going through merging technology, mitigating the issues with 'home molding'.. just amazing work. you are messing around!
Old 11-19-2018, 02:14 PM
JSF-TC

Pat,

I certainly hope that I don't need a bigger model-hauler. That is most definitely NOT in the budget.

I've taken the plug apart to finish the center section, but once I re-assemble it I'll do a fit check.........

Paul
Old 11-19-2018, 05:54 PM
SHANEC
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your up to your buccan-ears with this project ! Great work and very inspiring!
Old 11-20-2018, 04:00 PM
Ron S

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

You've got enuf parts to make it look like an airplane now!!! Congrats!
Any thoughts yet on the weapon bay? I think it had one.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:50 PM
JSF-TC

Oh yes, it had a weapon bay which rotated. Begging to be done on the model.

Have been laying out the lines for it recently.

Considering making it the main fuel tank, just like the full-size. Total volume of the weapon bay is 250oz, so more than enough for 2 100-sized motors.

Paul

Last edited by JSF-TC; 11-20-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:05 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Can you double skin it- in case of a gear up landing?
Old 11-21-2018, 12:40 PM
JSF-TC

Dave,

Was thinking about that - I would probably lay up a layer or 2 of kevlar for abrasion resistance for the lower skin. If I do make it into a tank I think I will go for a partial capacity in the door and then use a traditional tank in the fuselage prior to the air trap. Maybe around 120oz in the door and the same again in the fuselage.

Paul
Old 11-22-2018, 08:34 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Phenomenal work on the Bucaneer Paul! 3D printing is really making the life of plug construction for those complex area’s are life saver!
Old 11-22-2018, 08:59 AM
JSF-TC

Thomas,

Thanks for the comments.

I agree, I would never have contemplated taking this on without CAD, laser cutting and 3D printing. There is no way my hand-skills are good enough to manually cut out 40+ ply bulkheads accurately or get all those complex curves flowing correctly, let alone manually drawing out the correct lines to start with.

Center fuselage plug has now been double glassed and is curing. Time for some more CAD work.

Paul
Old 11-23-2018, 06:49 PM
JSF-TC

Did a fit check loading the Buccaneer into my car today. Had a heart-stopping moment initially when it didn't fit, but loading it tail first just allowed it to fit as long as I remove the radome and tailplane.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:53 PM
JSF-TC

Also did the first full assembly of the fuselage and wings. The fin is just balanced on the fuselage at this stage.

Definitely starting to resemble a Buccaneer. Those wings look really small.

Paul
Old 11-23-2018, 09:54 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF-TC
Also did the first full assembly of the fuselage and wings. The fin is just balanced on the fuselage at this stage.

Paul
Yes, you're gonna have to watch the airframe weight.
You might want to consider using airex/ carbon fiber internals instead of lightply. Except for the landing gear support structure.
You should still be able to use your laser cutter for this material, cutting each side up separately. It will just stink a lot more ( make sure you exhaust the fumes from any enclosed area ).
Old 11-24-2018, 06:57 AM
Mugu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF-TC

Paul
wow! you are Artist!!! I like to see how grow you baby!👌👌👌👌
Old 11-24-2018, 05:56 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of my all time favorite planes, great progress! Thanks for sharing your build!
i had drawn up plans slightly larger as well as the collapsing gear design. Still would like to build one at some point, such a cool aircraft and history. Keep at it!
Old 11-24-2018, 07:49 PM
JSF-TC

Sean,

Can you share your gear design? Would be interested in seeing some alternative thinking on how to approach the problem.

Paul
Old 11-24-2018, 09:23 PM
JSF-TC

Contemplating a single engine install design, as I have concerns that a twin install with the engines mounted to the rear will result in a very tail-heavy model.

Mocked up a Jetcat 220RXi and laid out a Y pipe. Would have to be installed from the rear of the center fuselage prior to attaching the rear section.

Its a very severe Y pipe as the outlet centers are 15" apart with an overall length of 20", so the split angle is around 40 degrees per side.

Will have to lay out an S-duct to direct the inlet air towards the engine.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:01 AM
Dave Wilshere

Personally I’d stick with a twin. The noise of the Y pipe set ups can be unpleasant, then there is the amount of work you have done, two independent turbines would give you a better chance if you ever get a flame out, as rare as they are. Have you done any calculations of the two options? Weight of the big Y pipe, the heat protection heeded and turbine verses two small pipes and two smaller turbines. That’s a long nose to get the equipment way forward of the balance.

Dave
Old 11-25-2018, 11:59 AM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Personally I’d stick with a twin. The noise of the Y pipe set ups can be unpleasant, then there is the amount of work you have done, two independent turbines would give you a better chance if you ever get a flame out, as rare as they are. Have you done any calculations of the two options? Weight of the big Y pipe, the heat protection heeded and turbine verses two small pipes and two smaller turbines. That’s a long nose to get the equipment way forward of the balance.

Dave
Paul,
I was a little sceptical when we discussed the single engine idea yesterday, but after seeing your depiction of it above I am going to have to agree with Dave. I believe if you used a pipe with that wide of a Y it is going to cause way more problems than it solves. F-18 and F-4 style Y pipes are relatively in-efficient, but I think something like you are proposing will probably net you only about 50% of the turbine's available thrust, not to mention the heat issues at the center of the pipe.
If I were you, I would shoot for building the aft section of the fuselage as light as possible, use twin turbines placed as far forward as you reasonably can, and then get creative with the design of the ducting.

If you need any help, or just need to do some brainstorming I would love to help.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:33 PM
JSF-TC

Dave/ Kevin,

Many thanks for the feedback. I was skeptical too, but I had to do the option justice and lay it out. Agree that making such a severe pipe and getting it to work well would be a challenge.

I'm looking again at both the forward and rear mounted twin options, but I think the rear mounted one with the short pipe will work out to be the choice.

One thing with the rear mounted option that I'm concerned about is as the rear fuselage is closed, inlet air at high speed will pressurize the fuselage cavity and have nowhere to go. I think a fully-ducted engine install would alleviate this concern, but a lot more design and build work.

Paul
Old 11-26-2018, 12:32 AM
Dave Wilshere

Paul

Fully ducted is always best, but I would not be concerned about the air pressure. When you are going full beans the turbines will be sucking up plenty of air and even throttling back while travelling with energy the throughput will be through and around the turbines.
Will you have the AB doors functional at the back? If so the various gaps and openings will reduce any pressure in there.

Dave
Old 11-26-2018, 04:10 AM
JSF-TC

Dave,

Yes, the plan is to have a functional speedbrake (next on the design list), so yes, there should be some air paths around that area.

Due to the small size of the scale engine exhaust nozzle openings, they are only 76mm in diameter. Gaspar recommends no less than a 68mm diameter pipe for his Jets Munts Merlin 100XBL, so that only leaves a 4mm wide annulus for the outer pipe. No wide air gap around the outer pipe to help with fuselage venting unfortunately.

The pipe will sit in the fuselage like the Ultra Flash, with the outer pipe wall touching the end of the fuselage opening.

I would leave the arrestor hook recess as an opening initially to get more fuselage pressure relief.

Paul

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.