Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Byron F-16 build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Byron F-16 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 12:00 PM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

On the gear. This kit did not come with the retract kit so I had to redesign my own brackets. These are 3D printed before I have them bent out of sheet metal.
RP

Old 05-03-2019, 12:06 PM
RickP

Full up photos. Ready to start painting....
RP

Old 08-17-2019, 03:04 PM
Imtippmanm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickP
Upon unpacking the kit I found this nasty old yellow deteriorated foam all over everything. It was a mess and difficult to clean off. It required a solvent to remove and you may be aware that solvent on anything other than the fiberglass just wont work and I didn't even want to stress the fiberglass that much so I just really used soap and water and elbow grease, but what a mess.

Is there anyone out there from this era? What the heck was that yellow foam for??? I have to assume it was padding for around the fuel tank they intended on you using for mounting inside the model. 25 years later its a big mess.

RP
I just bought one of these kits. I will be very Interested in seeing this build.
thanks
Jp6
Old 08-19-2019, 04:25 AM
RickP

Originally Posted by Imtippmanm
I just bought one of these kits. I will be very Interested in seeing this build.
thanks
Jp6
Hello,
Thanks for the response! The build is complete at the moment. There has not been much interest on this thread so I did not continue with it here. I'll put together an update though if you guys are interested.
Rick
Old 08-19-2019, 08:57 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Many of us are lurkers and love these threads even if we dont say much. For lots of us this is nostalgia and we do enjoy it. Please do update the thread. Dont let lack of responses make you think we arent interested. I just usually dont have time to post much but I do enjoy looking and following.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:45 AM
RickP

Okay,
Then here is a tease. A couple of highly controversial build notes that generated a lot of discussion:

1- No econocoat, Base Coat Clear coat directly over foam.
2-Full flying rudder
3-All original Byrojet hardware including spool valve and fuel tank.

There were some really harsh and negative discussions regarding the above, but I really didn't care. It's what I wanted and what I built. Feel free to comment...
RP

Ok
Old 08-19-2019, 12:24 PM
ColinW

Hi RickP. Awesome build and great looking model. I have one worry - your all flying rudder. I fly a Jodel 1050 fullsize and it has almost no fixed vertical fin (stabiliser) with an all flying rudder. We find that directional stability is low and it is easy to fly with sideslip. Also, on take off, the aircraft points where the rudder is pointing and it is easy to get into a yaw pio*. So my advice would be to try and not use the rudder till at a safe height and then apply small amounts of rudder to be able to see its effects. I expect it will be OK, but urge caution. *Pilot induced oscilation
Old 08-21-2019, 08:25 PM
BBDRIVER
My Feedback: (15)

Hi RickP

Fantastic looking build for the F-16. If you ever decide to let her go can you let me know??

Thanks
Sandro
Old 08-21-2019, 09:03 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a built Byron F-16 that has been flown a couple times. Anyone interested in restoring one let me know. It comes with the original light weight foam drop tanks and wing tip missiles. I have a couple engines for it as well.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:11 AM
BBDRIVER
My Feedback: (15)

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
I have a built Byron F-16 that has been flown a couple times. Anyone interested in restoring one let me know. It comes with the original light weight foam drop tanks and wing tip missiles. I have a couple engines for it as well.
Hi Chris

Can you send pictures of what you have and let me know a good time to chat about your stuff.

RickP Look what you have done!!!
Old 08-22-2019, 08:39 AM
Chris Nicastro

Yep it’s in storage, I’ll get it out and take some pics.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:02 PM
Chris Nicastro

Originally Posted by BBDRIVER
Hi Chris

Can you send pictures of what you have and let me know a good time to chat about your stuff.

RickP Look what you have done!!!
PM sent!

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 08-22-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:15 PM
Chris Nicastro

Here are a few pics of mine, older build, still holding up though. Had a pancaked landing in tall grass so it popped its forward formers and messed up the glass up front. That’s basically all that happened to it. Was flown on a Rossi 81 and I was there when it was flown last. Just not enough power, overheated and lost altitude. The missiles and tanks did not fly, just for display.
Was planning an EDF conversion or small turbine but other stuff got in the way.

Best set of luck on your maiden Rick, looks awesome as a Thunderbird!