Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

airspeed activated function

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

airspeed activated function

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 02:30 PM
warrenmiller11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airspeed activated function

can we program a function to be activated at certain airspeed via the speed sensor?
Old 11-15-2018, 02:44 PM
horsefeetky

you will need to give a bit more info.

what radio system are you using be specific as to model of tx
Old 11-15-2018, 03:23 PM
warrenmiller11

fx32
Old 11-15-2018, 03:25 PM
warrenmiller11

i want to program my f14 wings to swing automatic from a specific value from the airspeed sensor
Old 11-15-2018, 04:08 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I can't answer your question about a sensor but there is no way I would set a function like wing swing to happen automatically. That just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Judging airspeed is difficult and even with telemetry telling you the speed it's not like speeding up or slowing down is instant. Imagine coming off the bottom of a loop and airspeed all of a sudden says swing the wings. Now maybe you're too close to the ground to pull out with the wings back or on the way.
Besides that in every video of F14's I have watched nobody keeps the wings swept for long. I've never flown one but it appears that perhaps they are much more of a handful with the wings swept than when extended. Just seems like a bad idea to me.
your mileage may vary.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:20 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by warrenmiller11
i want to program my f14 wings to swing automatic from a specific value from the airspeed sensor
Easily achievable with a Jeti transmitter. I have done the same on a skymaster F14. A simple telemetry program creates a switch when a certain air speed is reached .... I also had a safety switch programmed in conjunction with the airspeed , in an “AND” logic function.

That switch not only swept the wings, it engaged a special flight mode disabling the spoilers, increasing gyro gain and increasing taileron movement...

David
Old 11-15-2018, 11:42 PM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"warrenmiller11" if you refer to Futaba FX-32 then there is no way.

I do not know of any current Futaba radio that links telemetry data with functions activation.

Best Regards.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:09 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Guys,

Interesting discussion. As a long-time Futaba user, I can confirm that there is no way to use telemetry values to activate any actions in the TX. Perhaps others can comment on any other brands that can or can't do this.

As has already been pointed out, Jeti systems can do that, you can create a "virtual channel" (they call them telemetry controls) driven by a telemetry value that can be included in TX functions such as mixers, switches, etc and could in principle do what you are wanting to do. I don't know if the new Powerbox radio can do that, if anyone knows that would be an interesting data point to have.

Though I have never had any issues with link reliability with Futaba, I was frustrated with their total lack of innovation, and have switched about half of my planes to Jeti. One of the main reasons was what you could do with their telemetry, and this is a good example of the sort of problem that drove my switching. And LA Jetguy already has been flying the swing-wing function!

Having spent the summer with the Jeti radio, and looking at a lot of logs of telemetry data from actual flights at many different fields, I would offer one small caution. There are "gaps" in the telemetry data that comes down to the TX during the flight. You can see them clearly in the log files. Maybe 1-3 second gaps 5-6 times during a flight where there is no telemetry data on some telemetry values. Maybe due to antenna orientation, but no way to be sure what the actual cause might be. Jeti I think knows this happens (they seem to be very good engineers), and has included some functionality in the TX that mitigates the impact for these gaps. For example, (see page 112 in the DX manual) you can set up filtering, and account for occasionally missing data in the telemetry by only responding to triggers after so many seconds etc. For example I implemented a TX-based pneumatic gear failsafe using telemetry control from the air pressure sensor and used the feature so that the gear would only go down after low air pressure was reported for more than 5 seconds. So a 1-3 second gap in air pressure data would not drop the gear. The tradeoff is a 5-second delay in responding to a leak. No free lunch :-)

So while it is quite rational to worry about coupling critical flight controls to telemetry, your case might fit into the "doable" category. The delay you can set (e.g. only sweep the wing forward if the airspeed is less than 80 mph for 5-10 seconds .. only sweep the wing back if the airspeed is greater than 100 mph for 5-10 seconds) would give you some hysteresis. Then the wing would not be sweeping back and forth willy-nilly. I suspect that would work and would be relatively safe. For further safety you could have a 3-pos switch .. one end is wing forward, other end is wing back .. middle is "automatic" based on airspeed. So no matter what happens you can failsafe to a known configuration. At least that's what I'd do... and David did a similar thing in his setup.

You would want to stare at a bunch of telemetry log data and make up your own mind of course... you're the only one who can decide for your plane what level of function and "coolness" is worth what level of risk.

Dave

Last edited by ww2birds; 11-16-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:33 PM
warrenmiller11

cool thanx for the info guys looking into jeti stuff seems nice enough to switch. been a futaba guy for long time but slowly realising that it might be time to change.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:07 PM
warrenmiller11

do all the jeti tx have that ability or only the high end models?
Old 11-16-2018, 05:27 PM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

cool thanx for the info guys looking into jeti stuff seems nice enough to switch. been a futaba guy for long time but slowly realising that it might be time to change.
Contact me if you are thinking of making the switch. I’d be happy to go over all of the options.

Danny
[email protected]
407-687-3126

Old 11-16-2018, 06:23 PM
horsefeetky

danny i will be calling you next week myself as i just spent several calls to esprit considering the switch from spektrum to jeti myself.. not cheap but might be a good time to test drive jeti
Old 11-17-2018, 10:41 AM
warrenmiller11

cool thanx Danny
Old 11-17-2018, 02:42 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
I can't answer your question about a sensor but there is no way I would set a function like wing swing to happen automatically. That just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Judging airspeed is difficult and even with telemetry telling you the speed it's not like speeding up or slowing down is instant. Imagine coming off the bottom of a loop and airspeed all of a sudden says swing the wings. Now maybe you're too close to the ground to pull out with the wings back or on the way.
Besides that in every video of F14's I have watched nobody keeps the wings swept for long. I've never flown one but it appears that perhaps they are much more of a handful with the wings swept than when extended. Just seems like a bad idea to me.
your mileage may vary.
I concur; there's no way I'd set up something like that on my F14 and I've not even flown it yet....

There are numerous considerations when programming that model such as making the flaps retract if you start moving the wings back. Eliminating the spoilers (it doesn't have ailerons or at least my Skymaster F14 does not), whether or not you want the leading edges deployed or retracted, a substantial decrease in the elevons deflection and expo. Long story short; it took all 18 channels of a Futaba 18MZ to cover everything and that does not include a speed related automatic actuation of the wing sweep.....
Old 11-17-2018, 03:47 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I concur; there's no way I'd set up something like that on my F14 and I've not even flown it yet....

There are numerous considerations when programming that model such as making the flaps retract if you start moving the wings back. Eliminating the spoilers (it doesn't have ailerons or at least my Skymaster F14 does not), whether or not you want the leading edges deployed or retracted, a substantial decrease in the elevons deflection and expo. Long story short; it took all 18 channels of a Futaba 18MZ to cover everything and that does not include a speed related automatic actuation of the wing sweep.....
Piece of cake with the Jeti
Old 11-18-2018, 08:53 AM
warrenmiller11

jeti looks pretty solid in regards of telemetry and programming lightyears ahead of futaba maybe not but for what i want to do for this specific airframe i think its the way to go.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:27 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by causeitflies
Piece of cake with the Jeti
I have no intention of ever using a heavy, aluminum pizza box to fly my RC stuff......
Old 11-18-2018, 11:38 AM
warrenmiller11

would a ds16 be enough channels to fly an f-14?
Old 11-18-2018, 12:39 PM
causeitflies

would a ds16 be enough channels to fly an f-14?
24 slices of pizza... That's 24 channels
Old 11-18-2018, 12:48 PM
warrenmiller11

24 channels seems a lot how many functions you need to fill up those channrls or are they all assigned to telemtry sensors and what not?
Old 11-18-2018, 12:54 PM
causeitflies

That's 24 proportional channels to do whatever you want with them. You want twenty four elevators? No problem.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:43 PM
warrenmiller11

i was asking because there is a price difference between ds-16 and ds-24 so if i dont need it ill just go with a ds-16
Old 11-18-2018, 01:45 PM
warrenmiller11

anybody can give me a generic channel assignment from their jet would be nice so i can decide if i need more channels
Old 11-18-2018, 04:13 PM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

i was asking because there is a price difference between ds-16 and ds-24 so if i dont need it ill just go with a ds-16
Ok.... this is just my opinion but..... If you are flying complex, multi function aircraft I do not recommend purchasing a new DC/DS-16. There are plenty that pop up on the used market as people move up to the 24’s. There is nothing inherently wrong with the 16’s (or 14’s). They are great systems and will handle just about anything you would want to do. It’s just that the 24’s have much more to offer and are only at the beginning of their developmental life cycle. So if you are thinking about buying “new” go for a 24. You will not be disappointed

Danny
Old 11-18-2018, 05:26 PM
causeitflies

Both the DS16 and DS24 are twenty four channels. As Danny said, the 24 offers a lot more and that 's saying something considering everything the 16 offers. Some is just bling and some are really cool useful features.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.