Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spektrum AS3000

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spektrum AS3000

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 03:29 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Spektrum AS3000

Anybody using the AS3000 in their jet? I used the Powersafe 20 channel receiver in my BVM Cougar with a Demon Cortex and saw this might be a simple fit. I really like the receivers with AS3X built in and was just wondering what people thoughts were on this.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:32 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I’ve been using a few on jets and like them so far.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:58 PM
patrnflyr

The only experience I have is with the 9350 receivers which, I assume, use the same gyro board. It sure keeps my foamy F-4 stable. I like the fact that it’s a simple 4 lead wire plugged into the side of the receiver instead of all those wires going through the cortex. Our jets use such high powered servos and a bunch of them, I just worry about the amps going through these stabilization systems
Old 11-12-2018, 05:29 PM
aehaas

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

'Using these on two jets now and adding to a third jet soon. I really like them and just now activated the nose gear gyro on my BVM Bandit. The only thing is that compared to the iGyro you cannot have a GPS receiver to have automatic compensation for jet speed in the air. What I was able to do is make a mix that doubled the rates when both the gear was down and the flaps were set to landing mode. Price was not a consideration but the insignificant weight was important. Unless I need a super special set up the AS3000 is the way to go.

AEHaas
Old 11-12-2018, 06:15 PM
patrnflyr

Thanks guys. This sets my mind at ease a little.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:35 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by patrnflyr
The only experience I have is with the 9350 receivers which, I assume, use the same gyro board. It sure keeps my foamy F-4 stable. I like the fact that it’s a simple 4 lead wire plugged into the side of the receiver instead of all those wires going through the cortex. Our jets use such high powered servos and a bunch of them, I just worry about the amps going through these stabilization systems
It is my understanding that the AS3000 is a much better unit than the gyro is the AS3X receivers.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:34 AM
rcflyguy_26
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you guys running the stock settings?
Old 11-13-2018, 09:44 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by aehaas
'Using these on two jets now and adding to a third jet soon. I really like them and just now activated the nose gear gyro on my BVM Bandit. The only thing is that compared to the iGyro you cannot have a GPS receiver to have automatic compensation for jet speed in the air. What I was able to do is make a mix that doubled the rates when both the gear was down and the flaps were set to landing mode. Price was not a consideration but the insignificant weight was important. Unless I need a super special set up the AS3000 is the way to go.

AEHaas
Hello,

What transmitter are you using? I have a DX20 and a couple of the AS3000's and would like to know how to do this. PM me if you feel this is off topic, but that mix to get two rates is interesting to me and I don't even know where to start honestly.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2018, 09:48 AM
rcflyguy_26
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
Hello,

What transmitter are you using? I have a DX20 and a couple of the AS3000's and would like to know how to do this. PM me if you feel this is off topic, but that mix to get two rates is interesting to me and I don't even know where to start honestly.

Thanks!
Me too!!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:10 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by rcflyguy_26
Me too!!
Awesome, so hopefully he will share a tutorial here and we can both learn and then pass it on as well.... glad I was not the only one!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:21 AM
LenAlessi
My Feedback: (1)

Any mix to the gain channel(s) will change the gain. A positive value will increase gain for rate mode controls (non-Heading Hold (HH)) while a negative value decreases gain for rate mode channels. For HH controls, a negative value from the mix will increase HH gain while a positive value will decrease HH gain.
A typical mix to Aux3 when Aux3 has been specified as the gain channel for one or more controls in Rate mode looks like this:
ON--> Aux3 10% 0% select switch and switch position of choice. Increases Rate gain by 10%
A negative value decreases Rate gain..

A typical mix to Aux3 when Aux3 has been specified as the gain channel for one or more controls in HH mode looks like this:
ON -->Aux3 -10% 0% select switch and switch position of choice. Increases HH gain by 10%..
A positive value decreases HH gain.
Len
Old 11-13-2018, 10:37 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe this will help:

Last edited by joeflyer; 11-13-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:04 PM
aehaas

I use the DX18G2 and here is the mix I used. The Forward Programming setup has 20% "normal" gain already programmed in.

X+1 is the gyro channel on switch B for off, low and higher gain settings on the 3 position switch. All are "normal" no heading hold.

Landing gear is on A and flaps on D. The AND/OR combo condition is the the gear must be down and the flaps on the Landing setting. Both must be "on" for the mix to boost the gyro setting for landing.

Ali

Old 11-13-2018, 01:59 PM
joeflyer

So how many gain settings do you have, 2 or 4?

Do you use both a low and high gain setting for normal flying?

What position is B in for landing? If in low does it go to low + some boost when A and D are activated? Likewise if B is in high does it go to high + some boost?

Or does it default to the normal high setting whenever A and D are on? If that's the case then why do you need high on switch B?
Old 11-13-2018, 02:20 PM
aehaas

Originally Posted by joeflyer
So how many gain settings do you have, 2 or 4?
Do you use both a low and high gain setting for normal flying?
What position is B in for landing? If in low does it go to low + some boost when A and D are activated? Likewise if B is in high does it go to high + some boost?
Or does it default to the normal high setting whenever A and D are on? If that's the case then why do you need high on switch B?
There was some experimentation with switch B. I forgot the exact values but it has 3 positions, off, low and higher "normal" gain rates, no heading mode. I normally leave it at just the middle, lower gain setting, around 20%. I do not change it ever. The mix automatically makes the gain go to the higher rate when the gear is down and the flaps are fully down. There is no change with take-off flaps. It may be that the gain may be even higher if the B switch was set to the high level while the flaps are fully down and the gear is down. Maybe that should be done if the wind picks up to a very high level while landing. You can get an idea by watching the Monitor bars.

ali
Old 11-13-2018, 02:32 PM
joeflyer

Thanks. I'm planning on putting one of these in my next project. The system has lots of flexibility. I'm sure I'll be doing some experimentation.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:41 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

We’re you able to use it directly out of the box or did you have to upload the latest and greatest software? Sorry I was referencing the 20 ch receivers which need to be updated prior to being able to use the AS3000, in addition to updating the transmitters to include forward programming.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:46 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

They won't work unless the tx is running Ver. 2.0 software and there are a couple, I think but at least one, update for the rx's. Just use the new "Programmer" software on the Spektrum website with the rx's, it's really easy now.