RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: Which turbine brand do you prefer ?
Jet Central
23.73%
Jet Cat
15.82%
Kingtech
41.81%
Jet munts
14.12%
other
4.52%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Recommendation for turbine !!!

Old 11-16-2018, 01:15 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by jetmon View Post
Hello Kris
You are right, your case was a poorly handled one, and it was a great lost for our brand and a great win for Kingtech, but we try to learn from our mistakes
The good thing is that we still enjoy to meet and talk with each other at jet events
I will not write about our warranty policy here because I don´t think it is the place to do it, so I'll do it on the Turbine Clinic/Jet Central forum. I just will say it is not partial
Regards
And that folks is one of the many reasons I fly silver motors!
Old 11-16-2018, 02:43 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ive had jetcat with Good experiences

Jet central with good experiences

Ram with good experiences

Fte with the same

Kingtech with mostly good and 1 not so good 😉
Old 11-16-2018, 02:48 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by jetmon View Post
Hello Kris
You are right, your case was a poorly handled one, and it was a great lost for our brand and a great win for Kingtech, but we try to learn from our mistakes
The good thing is that we still enjoy to meet and talk with each other at jet events
I will not write about our warranty policy here because I don´t think it is the place to do it, so I'll do it on the Turbine Clinic/Jet Central forum. I just will say it is not partial
Regards
Juan you are a great guy and love talking to you at events my friend! See you at FLjets!
Old 11-16-2018, 03:04 PM
FenderBean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Man this simple poll went dark, people fishing for votes on FB and bashing other vendors. Got to keep it fun and chill, I don’t think any of the above polled turbines you can really go wrong with. All have pros/cons and you can buy from anyone of them and end up with a troublesome turbine. So just pick what works for you, maybe consider seeing what guys are flying at your field so you have local support. Just like the radio debates, there will always be haters and lovers of each with OPINIONS and experiences.

Last edited by FenderBean; 11-16-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:10 PM
stegl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Similiar stories over and over , just different brand. Did a fair bit of reading on 80 size turbines and looked over several brands ending with the Jets Munt VT80. Reasons but not in that order : lightest in weight : many choices of available lubricants : simple wiring / fuel line setup: brushless fuel pump and great user feedback.

Jetcat : Downside more expensive : heavier : more complex wiring setup : upside .... reliability...excellent

KingTech :upside ... least expensive : good reliability and reputation for service : downside ... stuck with using their oil mix.
I call it the Epson printer syndrome . Sell the unit cheaper but get you on the ink sales.

Because I was so satisfied with my VT80 , bought a new JM 100XBL this summer and had it shipped from the factory in about a week. It uses the same brushless fuel pump and brushless starter motor so in theory should run forever but we will see. Did have an issue with the colour GSU touch screen not going to the next page. 20 minutes of emails back and forth with Gaspar and had the issue solved. Seems , the touch screen needed calibration. Now that was service as I was prepared to mail it back.

Now I only need one inexpensive fuel mix for my two JM turbines and Wren 44 Turbo prop turbine. 19 litres of DTE oil costs me arround $70 usd shipped to me.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:46 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by stegl View Post

Jetcat : Downside more expensive : heavier : more complex wiring setup : upside .... reliability...excellent

You must not be familiar with the current line of JetCat RXi turbines. Almost everything is "under the hood". One electrical and one fuel line connection. No external valves or pump. Simplest and easiest setup there is.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:53 AM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I fly JetCat and Kingtech. A club member flies JetCentral and absolutely zero issues. The only concern I had with JetCentral was the repair “system”. You mailed the motor to Mexico uninsured and labeled as used aircraft parts! That was a couple of years ago and I’m sure that has changed. I really hate the idea of sending something out of country uninsured. Everybody said it works perfectly but just bothers me. Surely they’ve fixed that technique!
Old 11-17-2018, 08:08 AM
stegl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by CraigG View Post
You must not be familiar with the current line of JetCat RXi turbines. Almost everything is "under the hood". One electrical and one fuel line connection. No external valves or pump. Simplest and easiest setup there is.
Yup, That was pretty much how Jets Munt did their turbines from day one. Have been a leader and a supplier of ECU and GSU's for others.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:53 AM
ponyXpress

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great thread! I'm new to the jet engine scene and I have questions.

I'm looking to build a rc on-road vehicle with a jet turbine engine. As of now, it's looking like a 1/8th scale car or perhaps a truck. The weight of the vehicle is likely to be around 30 - 40 lbs with everything installed.

I'm looking for a complete jet engine kit, meaning it has everything I need to start it on a test bench and into the rc vehicle. The vehicle will be powered by the thrust only, no drive train (no power to the wheels).

I love the poll you all did here, really helps narrow down the engine options. I'm thinking of going with the Kingtech k100G2. Not only was it rated high here, but 22lbs of thrust at a cost of under $2k is seems good.

Until I was directed to this thread, I was looking at the WREN turbines from the UK. Those are a complete kit as well, and with the exchange rate, cost is around $2400. for the 100D.

I welcome advice from the experts here.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:28 PM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ponyXpress,

I have a gently used, low hours kero-start Wren SuperSport (18lb) that I would be interested in letting go for the right price. Would be perfect for your project.

PM me if interested.

Paul
Old 12-18-2018, 02:03 PM
tassos p

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by ponyXpress View Post
Great thread! I'm new to the jet engine scene and I have questions.

I'm looking to build a rc on-road vehicle with a jet turbine engine. As of now, it's looking like a 1/8th scale car or perhaps a truck. The weight of the vehicle is likely to be around 30 - 40 lbs with everything installed.

I'm looking for a complete jet engine kit, meaning it has everything I need to start it on a test bench and into the rc vehicle. The vehicle will be powered by the thrust only, no drive train (no power to the wheels).

I love the poll you all did here, really helps narrow down the engine options. I'm thinking of going with the Kingtech k100G2. Not only was it rated high here, but 22lbs of thrust at a cost of under $2k is seems good.

Until I was directed to this thread, I was looking at the WREN turbines from the UK. Those are a complete kit as well, and with the exchange rate, cost is around $2400. for the 100D.

I welcome advice from the experts here.
I will be selling my Jetcat P180 (2012 model) soon - 200N (45lb) thrust at much lower than 2k$ price. Amazing engine but you can't find it anymore on the market. Weighs around 6lb. Bought it 4.5k$ in 2012 and I'm the first owner. Can't go wrong with Jetcat.

Currently I own 10 x Jetcat Engines never had a single issue.

If interested pm me.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:12 PM
AndyAndrews

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kingtech hands down IMHO. I am using two each K160's for my new BVM F18 twin. These will be fantastic power for this bird and if I had any worry about Kingtech they certainly wouldn't be going in this expensive jet. Plus I saved several thousand on the pair verses Jetcat.

Last edited by AndyAndrews; 12-18-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:07 PM
ponyXpress

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Paul - PM sent.

Thanks tassos.p, PM also sent to you.

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2018, 06:54 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No more sales ads in this thread please.

Use the PM system to talk directly to another member.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:41 PM
ponyXpress

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey guys - Does anyone have the Kingtech K-85G2? It's hard to tell from their website, but I guess this is their most recent version (dated 2016??)
Old 02-19-2019, 05:21 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not sure I understand the question....but K85 exist only in the G2 series...I own one.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:18 AM
ponyXpress

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry, I could have asked the question better. This K85G2 engine is in the `18 - 20 lb thrust range and I'm looking to purchase the most recent model Kingtech has released in this thrust range. I should say I'm still evaluating my options, but looking hard at the Kingtech engines.

They list this engine as new, latest and greatest, but the manual says 22016. Is this the newest engine model available in this thrust range? BTW, I sent an email directly to Kingtech, still waiting for a reply so I thought I would post here.

I also asked in my email to Kingtech if this K85G2 comes with everything needed to both start on a test bench, and does it come with everything needed to install in a plane and start remotely with the radio transmitter? I see it does not come with the ESU battery, but it looks like it has everything else. I would appreciate confirmation from somebody who has one to confirm, or tell me what else I would or should need to buy.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2019, 08:22 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, that's the newest engine from KT in that size/range.

And as you also said, you'll need a 9.9V LiFe battery and of course your receiver, but other than that it's all there.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:32 AM
drorso

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great post, i learned a lot. I fly 1/8 F-16 with Jetmunts Merlin 100, no issues so far. Not voting as i have only one hour on it :-)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:37 AM
gunradd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Also if you need Kingtech support we want you to call or text. Email is NOT a good way to communicate for us.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:39 AM
ponyXpress

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Auburn02 View Post
Yes, that's the newest engine from KT in that size/range.

And as you also said, you'll need a 9.9V LiFe battery and of course your receiver, but other than that it's all there.
Thank you! That helps a lot. In reading about rc jet engines, there are new models by all manufactures that have simplified the overall process to connect fuel, leads, etc to get ready for start / run. I guess the older models required several fuel connections and now the new models have a single fuel connection, as example. Would you say this K85G2 is the older style (more complex to setup) or the newer style (more simple)?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:41 AM
stegl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the JM 100 in my new Gryphon EVO and very happy with it so far as well, but still low time. I do like the brushless
pump and starter, very responsive . Even though the cost was higher I do not feel that I am held hostage with using
a specific lube oil mix to the fuel. An added plus is I use the same fuel in my JM Vt80 , JM100 and my Wren 44 turboprops
which had the conversion done to 50 hour overhaul.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:01 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

85 is easy

You need a battery and should probably get a FOD screen, neither come with the engine.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:32 AM
gunradd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by ponyXpress View Post
Thank you! That helps a lot. In reading about rc jet engines, there are new models by all manufactures that have simplified the overall process to connect fuel, leads, etc to get ready for start / run. I guess the older models required several fuel connections and now the new models have a single fuel connection, as example. Would you say this K85G2 is the older style (more complex to setup) or the newer style (more simple)?
The K85 is one of the newest engines we have. The manual is for all G2 engines so its older.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:54 AM
ponyXpress

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
85 is easy

You need a battery and should probably get a FOD screen, neither come with the engine.
Ok, thank you. Yes, a screen makes good sense. I'll check the KT website to see if they sell one for this engine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service