Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for turbine !!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: Which turbine brand do you prefer ?
Jet Central
23.73%
Jet Cat
15.82%
Kingtech
41.81%
Jet munts
14.12%
other
4.52%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Recommendation for turbine !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 12:37 PM
ifly3d

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Recommendation for turbine !!!

Ok guys, I am looking to switch brands of turbines. I am having issues with my current brand. I am currently flying 100-180 size turbines. I am looking advice from people that fly turbines a lot and what I mean by that is you put 20 plus flights a month of your jet. I live in North Carolina where we can fly all year long. But in the winter It might be 40 degrees one day and the next it's 70 degrees. I am seeing issues with all brands of Turbines when I go to Jet events, but dont know if it the turbine or the pilots issue. Please don't turn this into a bashing turbine thread. What turbines do you fly and why ?
Old 11-13-2018, 04:58 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

It's a tough one to answer, I voted kingtech because their engines are the best bang for the buck really.
Having said that, I primarily fly AMT but very few still want AMT engines, they are bigger and heavier, but they never die. For me the AMT is simply the best engine you can buy. Most guys don't like the, lets call it, antiquated technology. Internal Kero, internal everything, telemetry etc is not important to me at all, reliability is.

As far as reliability goes, I don't think you can go wrong with Kingtech or Jetcat honestly. I do have a couple jetcats as well. I did own a Kingtech K80 but sold it before I ever used it to be honest, no reason other than I needed a larger engine.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:59 PM
RC_MAN
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hands down Behotec 220. No issues I have two of them.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:27 AM
Richard-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second LGM.....AMT is the most well built, long lasting turbine on the market. I have two of the Pegasus Electric Start Turbines. Absolutely bullet proof.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:46 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Jet Central. I have had about 10 and never a major failure. Lifetime warranty covers everything but a crash.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:29 PM
maui_x

Do not even think about it, get a Jet Central, also think about post sale service, they have the best!
Old 11-14-2018, 07:06 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
It's a tough one to answer, I voted kingtech because their engines are the best bang for the buck really.
Having said that, I primarily fly AMT but very few still want AMT engines, they are bigger and heavier, but they never die. For me the AMT is simply the best engine you can buy. Most guys don't like the, lets call it, antiquated technology. Internal Kero, internal everything, telemetry etc is not important to me at all, reliability is.

As far as reliability goes, I don't think you can go wrong with Kingtech or Jetcat honestly. I do have a couple jetcats as well. I did own a Kingtech K80 but sold it before I ever used it to be honest, no reason other than I needed a larger engine.
I am 100% in agreement with this view.

Cheers,

JanR
Old 11-15-2018, 06:34 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The best are JetCat and JetCentral.
Plus JetCentral is hard to beat with Lifetime warranty.
There Cheetah 160 is the smallest strongest and lightest by the way
Old 11-15-2018, 07:20 AM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

KIngTech also has lifetime warranty, I Own 6 of them and never an issue, 2/160's 2/85's- 1/180 1/260 and a 320 on the way. I have a JetCAt P180 too awesome engine also...
Old 11-15-2018, 12:14 PM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

I have 4 Jet centrals. The best warranty is the one that you don't have to use. Not all life time warranty are the same. Never owned any other turbine brand with the life time warranty but seeing other friends that did it did not compare to my brand. Go with the jet Central just a very happy Jet Central customer.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:43 PM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Kingtech here as well. I own four. I have the second K-80 in the US when Kingtech first started. Its in my HPjets F-86.
I also have 2 K-140's and a

K-180 in my Skymaster 1/5th F-86

Joe Lewis
Old 11-15-2018, 06:57 PM
dbcool

Love them Kingtech’s.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:22 PM
F16Jeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a K140g and a new K140g2. The K140g has been simple to run and maintain. I have not used to K140g2 yet. It is for my new F4 when I build it. Planning another jet and will have another Kingtech on that one as well.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:36 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have owned 16 turbines. Jetcat and king tech. I’m down to one Jetcat and eight kingtechs. Customer service and price cannot be be beat with Barry and Dirk at kingtech. I think Jetcat was the benchmark for reliability and I think kingtech is on par with Jetcat. The customer service pushes KT ahead IMO. You can call Barry or Dirk at 9pm on a Sunday night and they will pick up and try to help you.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:51 PM
Kim Couturier
My Feedback: (120)

Kingtech hands down. I've owned many of them after being a jetcat guy. Barry and Dirk are awesome. You can't go wrong with that brand.,!
Old 11-16-2018, 04:42 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

KingTech....great motors...and superb service to top it off...when required!
Old 11-16-2018, 04:52 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skymaster68
KIngTech also has lifetime warranty, I Own 6 of them and never an issue, 2/160's 2/85's- 1/180 1/260 and a 320 on the way. I have a JetCAt P180 too awesome engine also...
the warranty is partial lifetime

"Anything frictional or electrical is covered only the first year, lifetime on the engine core"
Old 11-16-2018, 05:45 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jonkoppisch

the warranty is partial lifetime

"Anything frictional or electrical is covered only the first year, lifetime on the engine core"
Most are partial... When my Jetcentral blew up for the third time in a row.... I was only optioned to buy a new engine at a discount and they would not repair my engine again stating lack of parts to fix it. Problem was the discounted price was still about the same price as an outright new kingtech motor. That is when I made the switch to Kingtech.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:40 AM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I’ve owned all of the brands listed, still own three of the four. JetCentral gets my vote for the warranty and support. But, that’s not to say JetsMunt support isn’t fantastic too, Gaspar is really fast on getting back to your emails.

Frankly, I won’t own another Kingtech. My experiences have been less than positive. That’s all I say, as you never win in a Ford vs. Chevy argument!

I will say this, there is definitely something to be said for flying what other people around you are flying. Nothing like local experience and support!

if I were to buy a new turbine now? Jet Central, no question.

Tom M
Old 11-16-2018, 09:41 AM
alfawaz

Default Kingtech

I do not fly a lot in fact I only have one jet and flown only about 15 times. However, here is my two cents and why I voted KT.
I bought a slightly used 140 it used to start good but always had a wet start. It wasn’t horrible wet start but I realized it could be better. So I asked around here and there and changed my parameters slightly. Someone tells me change this someone else change that. One day I started it and had insane wet start almost burned my model down. So I decided I will just stick with my older wet start. However, one time I contacted Barry on Facebook he asked me for a video of the start and my parameters. So I did next day he sent me completely different parameters and I was very hesitant to try them especially it is an older model KT. But I was assured by many people that Barry knows what he is doing so I did change everything like he said and started the engine. Not a single flame came out ! Then I realized i could depend on KT if there’s someone so experienced behind it. And his help is readily available.
Morever, I have flown my jet in completely different conditions. One in the summer when it was 80+ and almost 100% humidity and last weekend when it was around 30 degree. In both conditions I was able to achieve similar speeds on my jet(I know speed is not thrust) but that says something. If the speeds I am getting are consistent in two opposite conditions. It only means the engine is doing its job very well.

Kingtech gets my vote and business.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:38 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Jet Central

In the end it comes down to customer support, who's providing customer support on the weekend's or evenings when you are actually flying, not "during normal business hours".... what are normal business hours for support for a hobby related item
Most modern Turbines are relatively reliable, and they all can have issues.

If you live in the USA , you know it is the old "Chevy vs Ford vs. Dodge question", everyone has their favorite!

Mine just happens to be Jet Central, as an owner you become part of the family!

I think competition is great, it keeps everyone on their toes, and in the end the consumer reaps the rewards!
Old 11-16-2018, 10:47 AM
jetmon

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
Most are partial... When my Jetcentral blew up for the third time in a row.... I was only optioned to buy a new engine at a discount and they would not repair my engine again stating lack of parts to fix it. Problem was the discounted price was still about the same price as an outright new kingtech motor. That is when I made the switch to Kingtech.
Hello Kris
You are right, your case was a poorly handled one, and it was a great lost for our brand and a great win for Kingtech, but we try to learn from our mistakes
The good thing is that we still enjoy to meet and talk with each other at jet events
I will not write about our warranty policy here because I don´t think it is the place to do it, so I'll do it on the Turbine Clinic/Jet Central forum. I just will say it is not partial
Regards
Old 11-16-2018, 11:29 AM
nipmuck2
My Feedback: (52)

Default First

I was the first one in my club in MA to own a Kingtech K-80 (Gold) propane. They all shot it down without knowing anything about it..won't say names but now ALL of them use Kingtech now!
Old 11-16-2018, 11:41 AM
Mark 5

You can't go wrong with Jets Munt. A very high quality turbine ,light weight, efficient and lightening fast throttle response. Equally important is the technical support, which Jets Munt excels at. A few years ago I purchased a Merlin 100 and liked it so much(light years ahead of my other turbines) that I purchased a Merlin 140 for my Flash and I am very happy with both turbines.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:01 PM
rpellicciotti

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have all Kingtech. A 85, 120 and 180. They have all been great, very reliable. Barry has been terrific to work with especially when I was first starting out. Every other jet at my field is Kingtech as well except for one JetCat. I think they are all probably good, especially if operated carefully. Fuel filters have to be cleaned regularly and fuel pumps wear out and have to be replaced.

Rick Pellicciotti
Avanti Jet.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.