Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

PB Mercury SRS gyro question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

PB Mercury SRS gyro question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 12:51 PM
flyer1966
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PB Mercury SRS gyro question

I’m building a T3 and haven’t been using any gyros in the past. I like using the Spektrum transmitter with the Powersafe receiver. It was recommended to me to use the PB Mercury SRS Gyro. I’ve heard from someone that it’s a bad set up that’s crashes a lot of Jets. Just looking for some feedback before I make my decision. Thanks Tim.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:06 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

You have been given bad info unless it’s Spektrum related. The Joker and Mephisto pictures I have posted today both have PB Mercury’s fitted. On the field today there were also other Jets flying with Mercury’s fitted. It’s our biggest selling PB unit and I’ve not had a fault on one yet.

Dave

Old 12-02-2018, 01:16 PM
flyer1966

Default Spektrum Powersafe

Can I still use my Spektrum Powersafe receiver with dual batteries in conjunction with the Mercury SRS?
Old 12-02-2018, 01:33 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

No, the Mercury requires two rx's in this case it would be satellite rx's to do the job. It has it's own dual power inputs, battery isolation, regulated voltage out put, gear sequencing and all sorts of nifty things it will do. If you want to use the PowerSafe rx, just pick up an AS3000 for the rx. It's got a gyro in it, not quite as sophisticated as the one in the Mercury but it's only $65.

I have one jet, a T-One with a PowerSafe rx which I've not flown yet. The others have either a Mercury or a Royal SRS using GPS sensors as well. Those allow the gains to change with model speed.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:56 PM
flyer1966

Default Spektrum receiver

So would I use two Spektrum 9 channel receivers or 6 channel receivers? The receivers would be powered through the SRS?
Old 12-02-2018, 02:43 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by flyer1966
So would I use two Spektrum 9 channel receivers or 6 channel receivers? The receivers would be powered through the SRS?
Actually I think it just requires 2 satellite rx's. The number of channels really doesn't matter as the Mercury decodes all that stuff or at least that's the way they used to work, with just satellites. On mine since they are on Futaba, I have a pair of 3 channel rx's. Suggest you hit the PB website and look over the user manual for the Mercury.

https://www.powerbox-systems.com/pro...rcury-srs.html
Old 12-02-2018, 03:39 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Mercury has Spektrum RX inside... You only add the 4 satellite receiver antenna's and you are done... No Spektrum anything needed but your transmitter. Gyro system is built in, all's you do is set up what gain rates you want on what surface and go...Get the GPS version, it will adjust gain rates based off of ground speed from the rates you set up... Great system, Love it !!

Dan
Old 12-02-2018, 03:54 PM
flyer1966

Originally Posted by rcjetsaok
The Mercury has Spektrum RX inside... You only add the 4 satellite receiver antenna's and you are done... No Spektrum anything needed but your transmitter. Gyro system is built in, all's you do is set up what gain rates you want on what surface and go...Get the GPS version, it will adjust gain rates based off of ground speed from the rates you set up... Great system, Love it !!

Dan
thanks sounds easy.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:15 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rcjetsaok

Dan
I had trouble getting the Spektrum sats to bind to the Mercury, but it's entirely possible I was doing something wrong. I bound it to a JR XBus receiver easily though.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:07 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Doug

Were they DSM-X remotes?

Dave
Old 12-03-2018, 02:10 AM
flyer1966

Default PB Mercury SRS Gyro

I wanted to say thanks for all the input. It helps me a lot. I’m going to go ahead with the gyro. I appreciate it very much.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:31 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Get 4 satellite receivers, then when you bind make sure you use DSMX-18 mode not DSMX to access the higher channels, it's not documented, or at least obvious in the manual.

What radio are you using?
Old 12-03-2018, 07:06 AM
tassos p

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flyer1966
I’m building a T3 and haven’t been using any gyros in the past. I like using the Spektrum transmitter with the Powersafe receiver. It was recommended to me to use the PB Mercury SRS Gyro. I’ve heard from someone that it’s a bad set up that’s crashes a lot of Jets. Just looking for some feedback before I make my decision. Thanks Tim.
PB Mercury works fantastic for me, really compacts all the features one would want, double power supply, double Rx, gyro, gear sequencer, servo matching.... just perfect and all this for just 115gr (4oz) weight.

Fantastic technology all in one.

I've set up the Mercury in 2 of my jets - rock solid - just perfect.

Tassos
Old 12-03-2018, 07:38 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

The Powerbox Mercury SRS works great. The Mercury SRS uses two to four Spektrum Remote Rxers. I use three. If you use a PBox Mercury SRS you will totally replace your current PowerSafe Rxer's main unit but you can use its Remote Rxer's on the Mercury, if they are DSMX. SRS stands for Serial Receiver System (I.e. Serial Remote Rxers). If you buy a PBox that is not an SRS model, then you cannot use the Remote Rxers with it.

The AR3000 Gyro also works well with the current PowerSafe Rxers. But, it has to be the new PowerSafe RXers, not the old ones. I have seen the AR3000 work well in other folks jets.

Any gyro or PBox for that matter takes a bit of reading or an experienced person to set up. If you are considering a switch to PBox, you may want to consider spending some time doing some reading. Once you are aware of how they operate and are programmed they are great systems. They have everything you need built right in. You just have to understand each PBox model's features and then decide which model gives you what you want. The Mercury SRS gives you pretty much all you need except the added power distribution of the Royal, etc. The Mercury SRS has 14 channels. Its output programming capability gives you the option to eliminate Y harnesses, etc. (e.g. program same channel to two or more outputs.) It has many other programming capabilities, most of which I do not even use. But it only has 15 output ports, which can become a constraint on a complex system. You just have to do some reading and bench and transmitter setup to take advantage of what it offers. It is not exactly what one would call "plug and play."

I have been using PBox for over 5 years. Once I got used to them, for Jets and Giants, I never looked back.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:48 AM
flyer1966

Default Gyro

Originally Posted by Len Todd
The Powerbox Mercury SRS works great. The Mercury SRS uses two to four Spektrum Remote Rxers. I use three. If you use a PBox Mercury SRS you will totally replace your current PowerSafe Rxer's main unit but you can use its Remote Rxer's on the Mercury, if they are DSMX. SRS stands for Serial Receiver System (I.e. Serial Remote Rxers). If you buy a PBox that is not an SRS model, then you cannot use the Remote Rxers with it.

The AR3000 Gyro also works well with the current PowerSafe Rxers. But, it has to be the new PowerSafe RXers, not the old ones. I have seen the AR3000 work well in other folks jets.

Any gyro or PBox for that matter takes a bit of reading or an experienced person to set up. If you are considering a switch to PBox, you may want to consider spending some time doing some reading. Once you are aware of how they operate and are programmed they are great systems. They have everything you need built right in. You just have to understand each PBox model's features and then decide which model gives you what you want. The Mercury SRS gives you pretty much all you need except the added power distribution of the Royal, etc. The Mercury SRS has 14 channels. Its output programming capability gives you the option to eliminate Y harnesses, etc. (e.g. program same channel to two or more outputs.) It has many other programming capabilities, most of which I do not even use. But it only has 15 output ports, which can become a constraint on a complex system. You just have to do some reading and bench and transmitter setup to take advantage of what it offers. It is not exactly what one would call "plug and play."

I have been using PBox for over 5 years. Once I got used to them, for Jets and Giants, I never looked back.
Thanks great information.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:29 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

For me I prefer the power safe with spectrum gyro. But pretty sure that’s because I’m used to it and can set them up in my sleep.

Setting up a mercury in a plane now for a customer and it’s drving my nuts but it’s my first time using one and it’s futaba also and I don’t normally deal with that. All this blue com , , telecom , gps stuff... it’s overwhelming and just feels not needed to me.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:40 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
... it’s overwhelming and just feels not needed to me.
That was the way I used to feel about gyros, … Until I was flying the Mercury SRS with the gyro manually programmed, but off. Never had it on. Then one day it was windy as heck and I had inadvertently turned it on and the plane straightened right out. Now I never fly that plane w/o it. Was looking to get a gyro for the Ultra-Flash. But then I figured out that the wind does not appear to impact it very much. So, I stayed with the PBox Competition that was in it. Point being deciding on a gyro kind of depends on the plane and its operator.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:52 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

As far as gyros only go its a personal choice and your flying style. Some prefer the exact opposite then I do its all about how you fly and what you want to feel.

My order is best to worst
Cotex is my fave gyro For the way I like to fly this is the best gyro by far.
Spektrum is second on my list Works great and feels locked in
PB 3E is 3rd. Flew an F16 for years with the 3E and it was ok but also flew it with a cortex and like the cortex better.

At the end of the day they are all 3 great gyros and much better then nothing at all.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:14 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Get 4 satellite receivers, then when you bind make sure you use DSMX-18 mode not DSMX to access the higher channels, it's not documented, or at least obvious in the manual.

What radio are you using?
Don’t forget this tip, took me a while to figure out why I only had 12 channels....