Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

SKYMASTER 1:6 F-16 Gen 3 ISSUES. ANTON PLEASE GET INVOLVED

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

SKYMASTER 1:6 F-16 Gen 3 ISSUES. ANTON PLEASE GET INVOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 06:21 PM
F16Jeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

John,

Thank you for the heads up on shipping. I received tracking from you and my parts will be here Thursday.

I really appreciate the quick response.

Best regards,

Jeff
Old 12-12-2018, 04:12 AM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Jeff,
Just a heads up on that shipping. When my new wing for my 1/5th Sabre shipped, First by EMS, it was returned because the box was too big, then by UPS, I was told it was coming on a Mon. The package was pulled by customs and held for 2 days while they examined it. Customs actually opened the box, removed the wing, then repackaged it incorrectly. I discovered this because the original tape on the box was cut then re-taped. It was a 2 piece box and it was not slid all the way to the bottom of the inner box. The wing was placed in the bottom box trailing edge first. This left about 4 inches of the leading edge sticking out of the box. After I inspected it I put the wing in the box Leading edge first and found the marks inside the box where the wing had made small dents. Packaged this way the lid closed all the way.
Joe Lewis
Kingtech
K-80, K-140, K-180
Owner
Old 12-12-2018, 04:34 AM
gawlevi
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Please take other issues to another thread.
Thank you
Old 12-13-2018, 01:04 AM
johnzqh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetpilot24
Jeff,
Just a heads up on that shipping. When my new wing for my 1/5th Sabre shipped, First by EMS, it was returned because the box was too big, then by UPS, I was told it was coming on a Mon. The package was pulled by customs and held for 2 days while they examined it. Customs actually opened the box, removed the wing, then repackaged it incorrectly. I discovered this because the original tape on the box was cut then re-taped. It was a 2 piece box and it was not slid all the way to the bottom of the inner box. The wing was placed in the bottom box trailing edge first. This left about 4 inches of the leading edge sticking out of the box. After I inspected it I put the wing in the box Leading edge first and found the marks inside the box where the wing had made small dents. Packaged this way the lid closed all the way.
Joe Lewis
Kingtech
K-80, K-140, K-180
Owner
Hi Joe

Thank you for sharing your experience, which help customers to know about dilemma factory fall in sometimes. Unless the box is picked up by customer from there,we are obliged to carry the damage risk,sometimes by customs check like your box,sometimes by rough handling of courier,all there are out of control by us.We feel the pain as you suffer especially when factory spent a lot of time making kit. However,no matter by which manner,we still try to work together to lessen the damage loss to minimum degree.

Best regards

John
Old 03-03-2019, 11:17 AM
gawlevi

Anton,
Here we go again, These issues have been ongoing since the end of October when I received the jet.
It is an absolute SHAME that we pay the amount of money that we do and then have to go through all this crap to get a kit that is not only complete but with the proper components in it!!!
By the way I still haven't received my wings and tail cone yet. That has now been 2 1/2 months.
The light controller shorted out and burned out almost half of the led lights.

Anyhow, I have emailed John with unsatisfactory results. The latest issue was that the fuel tanks are too big. They physically will NOT fit properly into the fuselage.
The saddle tanks will fit in but deform the intake into an oval shape instead of round and cause the tanks to push upwards. The top tank is physically too big to fit period. I sent pictures to skymaster and the response i got back was a picture and comment stating they are correct. below are the pictures of proof.

The first picture is of another 1/6 F-16 saddle tanks and the second is mine.

Next is the top tank.
Look back at the other 1/6 F-16 picture and look at the distance between the edge of the top tank to the edge of the hatch opening then look at mine, physically larger than the hatch opening.

This was Skymaster's response. "fuel tanks are correct. Normally,you need to cut off the edge of hatch opening,to make top tank fit inside."
This is the picture they sent.

Next issue: The By-pass and bell mouth
Look at the bell mouth in the picture above. The bell mouth fits between the engine rails.
below are pictures of mine with measurements.

first picture just depicts that the supplied bell mouth fits properly into the supplied By-pass.

The next pictures show dimensions of bell mouth fit to exhaust pipe

And now the exhaust pipe

So the exhaust pipe will also fit to the bell mouth
Here is where the problem comes in:

The bell mouth to by-pass

CONCLUSION:
These are the incorrect fuel tanks, bell mouth and by-pass as they will NOT fit into the plane between the engine rails.
I need these issues resolved.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:40 PM
gawlevi

A little more proof of the bell mouth not fitting.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:51 AM
nserrano

Default Refund

Though I like there models and want to get a new one from the I'm very hesitant because of all the problems on mine. I have one of those models for four years now, nothing but problems. The G1 though.
I'd get a dispute with your credit card going and return it!
That may get there attention
Old 03-04-2019, 04:56 AM
nserrano

Default Refund

Call me I'll tell you of some major problems that are hidden with that model which I they have corrected .
​​​​​​4076943002
Old 03-04-2019, 04:58 AM
gawlevi

I should be able to call around noon
Old 03-04-2019, 07:17 AM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Just a thought. Are those bypass and tanks maybe for the 1/5 F-16, sent by mistake? Good luck.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:20 AM
gawlevi

Same thing I suggest to John but I'm being argued with
the math doesn't lie...
153 mm bypass and Bell mouth DO NOT fit into a 137 mm opening.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:45 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi mate,

If you end up having to fit the bell mouth, bypass, mounting rails, intake duct, saddle tanks and main tank - please send me a pm and I will email you with photo's of how I fitted mine. I am using an AMT Pegasus HP with exactly the same components as you have received.

I am not trying to be strange here, I just don't know how to attach photo's to my post. I am also not trying to say you should not send back what you've received, simply offering to share how I went about my installation.

Cheers,

JanR
Old 03-05-2019, 06:51 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adding pictures

Select the advanced option when making a post.

Look for the paperclip icon on the toolbar.

There is a new image manager there with several options. I generally drag and drop.

PLEASE USE THIS MANAGER Please do not copy and paste very large image files into posts.

Some of us live on sailboats in places where internet connections run very slowly.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:58 PM
Springbok Flyer

Default Suggested installation of your components.

Thanks for the photo upload tuition, here we go:

This is what the completed installation look like from the engine hatch view:

I guess one has to think a little outside the box sometimes:

I started by making the main tank shorter. The F-16 does not need all that fuel and this way the tank fits easily from the front of the section before joining the fuselage. More on that joining later.

I always start by marking the mounting position of my turbine. That obviously takes into account where the thrust tube needs to finish at the tail and how far the turbine needs to sit from the bell mounth. Once marked, I then shape the mounting rails and bukkheads to accomodate the bypass.

At this point it is easy to transfer the mounting position to make small cutouts in the bypass. I mount the thrust tube to the bellmouth and then the bellmouth to the bypass. I also mount the thrust tube straps to the bypass. That way I have a completed bypass, thrust tube and engine mounting situation. The bypass get mounted to the mounting rails twice, first when the bottom section of the bypass is screwed down and again when the top section is screwed down through the bottom section onto the mounting rails. I have built 20+ jets this way over the years and never had a problem. Btw, the thrust tube may seem the same size as the bellmouth, but it will go over and make for a tight fit, which then get held in place by fixing the straps to the bypass. Below is what I am getting at - unfortunately I don't have a photo of the F-16 here, but you'll see what I mean if you look at this photo from my Cougar:

The bypass, bellmouth and thrust tube becomes a unit inside the jet. The engine is mounted to the mounting rails and the bypass assembly, independently to the mounting rails.

This is what it look like from the front before the fuselage is joined. I found it impossible to do this from the engine hatch side, so I turned it around by drilling out the T-nuts and mounting them on the opposite section. Now it was easy to do the plumbing and join the two sections, working through the cockpit opening.

Good luck with your F-16, it is a great jet and it flies suprbly when kept light.

Cheers,

JanR

Last edited by Springbok Flyer; 03-05-2019 at 07:45 PM. Reason: To clarify my post.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:46 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
Thanks for the photo upload tuition, here we go:

This is what the completed installation look like from the engine hatch view:

I guess one has to think a little outside the box sometimes:

I started by making the main tank shorter. The F-16 does not need all that fuel and this way the tank fits easily from the front of the section before joining the fuselage. More on that joining later.

I always start by marking the mounting position of my turbine. That obviously takes into account where the thrust tube needs to finish at the tail and how far the turbine needs to sit from the bell mounth. Once marked, I then shape the mounting rails and bukkheads to accomodate the bypass.

At this point it is easy to transfer the mounting position to make small cutouts in the bypass. I mount the thrust tube to the bellmouth and then the bellmouth to the bypass. I also mount the thrust tube straps to the bypass. That way I have a completed bypass, thrust tube and engine mounting situation. The bypass get mounted to the mounting rails twice, first when the bottom section of the bypass is screwed down and again when the top section is screwed down through the bottom section onto the mounting rails. I have built 20+ jets this way over the years and never had a problem. Btw, the thrust tube may seem the same size as the bellmouth, but it will go over and make for a tight fit, which then get held in place by fixing the straps to the bypass. Below is what I am getting at - unfortunately I don't have a photo of the F-16 here, but you'll see what I mean if you look at this photo from my Cougar:

The bypass, bellmouth and thrust tube becomes a unit inside the jet. The engine is mounted to the mounting rails and the bypass assembly, independently to the mounting rails.

This is what it look like from the front before the fuselage is joined. I found it impossible to do this from the engine hatch side, so I turned it around by drilling out the T-nuts and mounting them on the opposite section. Now it was easy to do the plumbing and join the two sections, working through the cockpit opening.

Good luck with your F-16, it is a great jet and it flies suprbly when kept light.

Cheers,

JanR
It looks like it would have worked without trimming the center tank too.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:16 AM
flyloose

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure I understand why the manufacturer would supply fuel tanks that don't fit without considerable modification? Is this a common issue with the 1/6 F-16? Either way I personally wouldn't accept it, but that's just me.....
Old 03-06-2019, 05:45 AM
gawlevi

I have spoken to several people that have Skymaster models and not being supplied components at all just as I was & being supplied components that were made for different scale size or completely different models for anything you order just as I was not to mention the lack of quality control does seem to be common.
You then get into contact with them about it and you get argued with and told that they are the correct components.
I spent a considerable amount of time on the phone with the dealer a couple of days ago going over my latest issues ( dimensions of the areas where the equipment should go vs. dimensions of the equipment) for them to understand and agree that what I was stating was accurate.
There are several points being made here.
Even though these particular models are not as expensive as others on the market, we still spend a considerable amount of money for them and either way we should not be subject to the frequency and quantity of missing, incorrect or poor quality components that we do.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:50 AM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by flyloose
I'm not sure I understand why the manufacturer would supply fuel tanks that don't fit without considerable modification? Is this a common issue with the 1/6 F-16? Either way I personally wouldn't accept it, but that's just me.....
it's not just their F-16 several years ago I purchased the 1/5 f-86 come to find out the bypass in the Bell mouths were too big for the aircraft it would not fit between the fuel tanks there is no way to reconfigure those fuel tanks to make the oversized bypass work I sent emails to John with measurements and got arguments that I had the correct bypass and that they only make 1 bypass. After a few more conversations with him he sent me a smaller bypass and bellmouth to fit the airplane.
so several years later I had an unfortunate accident with that 1/5 f-86 I ordered a second one from skymaster when it was shipped it came missing the fuel tanks missing the bypass and the bell mouth missing all the air cylinders for the gear doors and the speed brakes in the operational canopy
e-mails back and forth to John at skymaster and he claims that I did not order the stuff I had the complete order as to what I did order and all that stuff was on there after several e-mails back and forth you finally ships me the stuff that was missing and again the bypass was the wrong size. I contacted him he said the same thing as he did several years ago they only make one bypass which was incorrect information I forwarded him the emails from several years ago and he finally conceded and ship me the correct bypass. The problem that I see is seems like John does not know what he's doing with the company over there and Anton doesn't seem to have any clue as to what's going on with the company I am tired of it I will never order another skymaster kit again. I've heard several people complaining of problems with different models trying to get parts and all John wants to do at skymaster is argue I don't think Anton knows what's going on with this company.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:03 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

The 1/5 F18C I built had fuel tanks that would not physically fit inside the plane also. I had to cut them in half remove a section and re glue them back together. I have built several skymaster aircraft now and while they have allot of potential they require allot of mods and other things to get into the air. Some or worse then others. If you are buying one just know upfront its not an ARF and its going to require extra work. I have come to accept this when I do a build for someone so I now have a skymaster charge when I do a build on one.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:42 AM
gawlevi

Originally Posted by gunradd
The 1/5 F18C I built had fuel tanks that would not physically fit inside the plane also. I had to cut them in half remove a section and re glue them back together. I have built several skymaster aircraft now and while they have allot of potential they require allot of mods and other things to get into the air. Some or worse then others. If you are buying one just know upfront its not an ARF and its going to require extra work. I have come to accept this when I do a build for someone so I now have a skymaster charge when I do a build on one.
Thank you for that post.
This is exactly what I am talking about. "You have come to accept that you will have alot of extra work and modifications to make in order to get the model ready to fly".
This should not be accepted.
I am doing all of this so that we as an RC community force them to be more accountable for not only what they are selling but also for what they ship out. Making sure that all necessary and ordered components are there and that they are the correct components of quality.
From everyone I have talked to and seen for myself, once you have one of their models completed, they seem to be more than adequate flying machines. The problem is getting from delivery of your model to ready for flight. If they would take on the responsibility of the aforementioned issues as they should have inherently already done, nobody would be having these issues.
Also keep in mind that I do understand that on the occasion a goof up of "a" component once in a while is to be expected but again not at the frequency that it does.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:00 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetpilot24
it's not just their F-16 several years ago I purchased the 1/5 f-86 come to find out the bypass in the Bell mouths were too big for the aircraft it would not fit between the fuel tanks there is no way to reconfigure those fuel tanks to make the oversized bypass work I sent emails to John with measurements and got arguments that I had the correct bypass and that they only make 1 bypass. After a few more conversations with him he sent me a smaller bypass and bellmouth to fit the airplane.
so several years later I had an unfortunate accident with that 1/5 f-86 I ordered a second one from skymaster when it was shipped it came missing the fuel tanks missing the bypass and the bell mouth missing all the air cylinders for the gear doors and the speed brakes in the operational canopy
e-mails back and forth to John at skymaster and he claims that I did not order the stuff I had the complete order as to what I did order and all that stuff was on there after several e-mails back and forth you finally ships me the stuff that was missing and again the bypass was the wrong size. I contacted him he said the same thing as he did several years ago they only make one bypass which was incorrect information I forwarded him the emails from several years ago and he finally conceded and ship me the correct bypass. The problem that I see is seems like John does not know what he's doing with the company over there and Anton doesn't seem to have any clue as to what's going on with the company I am tired of it I will never order another skymaster kit again. I've heard several people complaining of problems with different models trying to get parts and all John wants to do at skymaster is argue I don't think Anton knows what's going on with this company.
Ugh - that sounds as bad as one of the other Asian suppliers, but at least Skymaster has a better rep of their planes flying (and staying together) once you finally get the parts.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:12 AM
gawlevi

That is very true
Old 03-06-2019, 12:56 PM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by FalconWings
It looks like it would have worked without trimming the center tank too.
Yes, when looking at my photo taken from the front, because the opening is much bigger at that end - but not from the engine hatch side, due to the reduced opening which is caused by the sloping top and curving-in, of the fuselage.

Anyway, thanks for looking. I will dial out now.

Cheers,

JanR
Old 03-06-2019, 01:21 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Having built many Chinese ARF’s, these issues are just par for the course.

I’m really not seeing anything out of the ordinary here really.

But that doesn’t mean it’s OK. And yup, I asked my skymaster supplier for a quote for another new SM airplane. So I am also responsible for perpetuating Chinese arfineness.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:40 AM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Do the poor part fitting and missing components also occur when ordering thru BVM? I would think that they would go thru the airframe as well as confirm that all parts are accounted for prior to shipping. How does it work when ordering from BVM?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.