Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

AMT NL start up help

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

AMT NL start up help

Old 12-18-2018, 05:49 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default AMT NL start up help

Hello,

I have an AMT Pegasus NL that I am trying to start. I don't have a data terminal and I have tried to get the computer (PC) interface to work but it is unreliable at this point.

So I made a video of what I am seeing. I am running 2 channel mode, and I have "calibrated/learn RC" the ECU per the V2 ECU instructions and got successful "beeps" per the instructions.

When I go to start the turbine, the 5 beeps start, but something bombs out (seems like at the 5th beep) and I cant tell which of the failure modes it is, or even if these are failure modes.

A video i here, thanks in advance for any help.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:56 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I think you need a 4s battery for that engine. My Olympus does that when voltage is too low.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:21 PM
LGM Graphix

Actually I mean it's a problem engine and you should send it to me for the price of shipping lol.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:25 PM
mr_matt

Thanks Jeremy. It is a 4 cell LiFE but I think I have a 4 cell lipo to try. Did you ever use the PC program?

I'll stick with it a bit longer, if I am about to throw it through a wall I will let you know first
Old 12-18-2018, 10:34 PM
LGM Graphix

I have the PC program that allows me to change max rpm, plug voltage etc. I would double check with bennie but my Olympus hp needs a 4s lipo at 14.8v. I forget what the cutoff was but even my old (1997) NL olympus was a 12volt ecu, a 4s lipo is what I use. The 4s life probably isn't enough voltage.

looking on amt NL's site they only offer 4s lipo batteries so I would think all their hp ECU's are 4s lipo. Pretty significant voltage difference. They will calibrate below voltage but wont start below voltage.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:13 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

4s lipo amigo and be sure to separate the rpm sensor and egt cables from the starter motor / glow igniter cable. The starter motor and glow igniter initial amp draw is high and it’s possible the LiFe can’t keep up. 35c rated pack or higher is optimum.

lastly Bennie is always best resource next to Jeremy Ofcourse ;-)
Old 12-20-2018, 12:33 PM
LGM Graphix

Any luck?
Old 12-20-2018, 01:41 PM
mr_matt

Funny, right after you told me i tried a 4 cell lipo I had lying around and it went right through to start up. It was night time so I unplugged it and got ready to try it the next day.

Next day after 4 different batteries tried, it never spun again. I am setting about getting the PC interface to work as I don't want to troubleshoot this without being able to see what is going on in the ECU. Some setting must be wrong.

Of course that PC program does not work either, when I move the throttle stick the pump voltage readout changes on the PC....
Old 12-20-2018, 01:42 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by yeahbaby
Bennie is always best resource
You can send him an email on [email protected]

Good luck,

JanR
Old 12-20-2018, 05:12 PM
LGM Graphix

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Funny, right after you told me i tried a 4 cell lipo I had lying around and it went right through to start up. It was night time so I unplugged it and got ready to try it the next day.

Next day after 4 different batteries tried, it never spun again. I am setting about getting the PC interface to work as I don't want to troubleshoot this without being able to see what is going on in the ECU. Some setting must be wrong.

Of course that PC program does not work either, when I move the throttle stick the pump voltage readout changes on the PC....
check that the glow plug didnt burn out. If it's burnt it won't initiate a start sequence
Old 12-23-2018, 12:11 PM
mr_matt

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
check that the glow plug didnt burn out. If it's burnt it won't initiate a start sequence
I checked and changed the glow plug just to be safe, although I don't see any way to make sure it is coming on. At least 3 times it worked but did not ramp onto kero.

I took another video. Thanks for the help I do appreciate it.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:16 PM
LGM Graphix

Matt, when you did your start sequence I heard the typical beeps before it should initiate a start followed by a single lower pitched beep that lower pitched beep indicates a low rpm error. I had a pegasus that did that to me and it was the rpm sensor had failed. To be fair the sensor itself hadn't failed but the cable connecting it was pinched and caused a problem. I took the pressure off the cable and it solved the issue in my situation. I wonder when you are connected to the PC if you blew air into the engine to spin it if you would get an rpm reading. Funny it worked once for you but not now. Check the connection on your rpm sensor at least. In all seriousness though if it's not something you decide you want to mess around with let me know. I would be interested in the engine.
For what it's worth, unless you want a more current engine I do believe this engine is more than worth having Bennie look at.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:22 PM
fw190pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably a useless idea but did you try reversing the throttle channel
Old 12-23-2018, 06:22 PM
LGM Graphix

Originally Posted by fw190pilot
Probably a useless idea but did you try reversing the throttle channel
we know the throttle channel direction is correct from the calibration beeps that run through when he powers up the ECU and then moves the throttle stick. That and it did initiate a start sequence once previously.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:37 AM
RayStruik

Hi,

This is Ray from AMT.

Please donload the latest version of TMC from the web site (Download TMC 2.1.5.1)
What firmware is in the ECU (see sticker).

We can do some tests if you have a CTF switch.

30% is heater/glowplug.
50% is main fuel valve
80% is starter

Place the throttle to this setting en push the CTF switch.

Cheers Ray
Old 12-24-2018, 08:06 AM
mr_matt

Originally Posted by RayStruik
Hi,

This is Ray from AMT.

Please donload the latest version of TMC from the web site (Download TMC 2.1.5.1)
What firmware is in the ECU (see sticker).

We can do some tests if you have a CTF switch.

30% is heater/glowplug.
50% is main fuel valve
80% is starter

Place the throttle to this setting en push the CTF switch.

Cheers Ray
Hi Ray,

My ECU is marked version v.26B. And it is propane start. So I used PC SW version :

V 1.8.0.9
For version 2 ECU
propane start, up
to VX29 ECU software

Are you saying to use PC SW version:

V 2.1.5.1
For version 2 ECU/EPV
kerosene start, for
VX36 ECU software

Thanks

EDIT; I ran version 2.1..5.1, all the results are the same as my last video, other than the "Supply Voltage" now seems to read the correct ECU voltage. Everything else is the same as the video, no starts, no ability to download the ECU.

Last edited by mr_matt; 12-24-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:06 PM
RayStruik

Ok.

The TMC version is for both propane and kero the same. Only the ARS file is different.
You are running on 2400 baud I assume. Check if control (options page) is set to none.

If you disconnect the glow plug is the light going off in the TMC?

Is the glow plug glowing now? If not check if the glow plug is still ok.

If so than take out the glow plug, connect it to the ECU (red wire) and hold it against the casing of the turbine (black wire).
Go into starting phase by putting the switch into running position.

Cheers,

Ray
Old 12-24-2018, 02:37 PM
mr_matt

Originally Posted by RayStruik
Ok.

The TMC version is for both propane and kero the same. Only the ARS file is different.
You are running on 2400 baud I assume. Check if control (options page) is set to none.

If you disconnect the glow plug is the light going off in the TMC?

Is the glow plug glowing now? If not check if the glow plug is still ok.

If so than take out the glow plug, connect it to the ECU (red wire) and hold it against the casing of the turbine (black wire).
Go into starting phase by putting the switch into running position.

Cheers,

Ray
Hi Ray,

Where is the light in the TMC for the glow plug? I have checked the plug before but I will do it again. I never saw a failed glow plug indicator in the TMC interface.

Thanks again,
Old 12-24-2018, 08:00 PM
Johnny Isaiah Woods
My Feedback: (81)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Amt

Hey Matt,
I know your dad here in Hendersonville, and I have a AMT Pegas air start ECU that is my spare, which I am not using along with a data terminal that I could
send, to get you going with the least problems. I have a spare rpm sensor also. You can email me direct; [email protected] or PM me and I
will give you my cell #.

Johnny Woods