Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New jet wish list

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New jet wish list

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 06:20 AM
robersteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David Jackson
A-29 for the available turbo prop engines
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Old 01-04-2019, 08:11 AM
RSO

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by causeitflies
T-38 but small enough to be handled by one person.
+1
Old 01-04-2019, 08:53 AM
Mikey5547

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The new Boeing TX would make a nice model
Old 01-04-2019, 09:28 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

An SR-71 for twin K30's or K70s.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:41 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

What frustrates me is I see this list every year and every single year there are multiple requests for a Voodoo, A6, some of the more obscure scale stuff, multiple requests for more jets in the 100n range, both scale and sport jets. Multiple requests for sport jets that look more like the old sleek style sport jets etc.

What do the manufactures give us? 3 more sizes of F16's, 2 more sizes of F18's. New F16's in the same size but with electric landing gear or PNP. More weird pregnant looking fish jets, More 250N+ size jets etc. I hear all the time "the manufactures are listening" but then it's more of the same crap year after year. I have never been more bored with airframes than I am right now with the new jets that are coming out. I come onto RCU and there are 3 threads I follow, Mirce's F100, The Buckaneer build, and Mugu's Mig21. I follow them because they are at least building, and scratch building at that. I understand that there is very little market for kits anymore, everyone wants an ARF, but the manufactures say there is no market for the 100n size jets, or no market for the old sleek sport jets. How do they know? Maybe those did die out 10 years or so ago but things go in cycles. We have very few options. We have the flash which is IMO an incredibly ugly jet, we have the Joker which is ok but still kind of looks like a big foamy or the spark, it's misproportioned. I liked it at first but the more I looked at it the more it started looking funny. And the BVM stuff which is nice but still quite expensive by comparison.

I understand that there is a risk to making any new model, but they are willing to spend a fortune on molds for giant jets that will cost 30K by the time they are in the air, how many of those models are they actually selling? My guess would be numbers are fairly limited.

Last edited by LGM Graphix; 01-04-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:06 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

I just wish the ones we buy now worked without re-engineering, repainting, repurchasing hardware and shipped within the time they say. I'm tired the same old comments "so sorry", it's a kit and you need to build it yourself. Just read all the threads of horror stories about some of the best known ARF producers and the junk they sell. They are too busy making giant jets and ignoring quality products.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:06 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
What frustrates me is I see this list every year and every single year there are multiple requests for a Voodoo, A6, some of the more obscure scale stuff, multiple requests for more jets in the 100n range, both scale and sport jets. Multiple requests for sport jets that look more like the old sleek style sport jets etc.
What do the manufactures give us? 3 more sizes of F16's, 2 more sizes of F18's. New F16's in the same size but with electric landing gear or PNP. More weird pregnant looking fish jets,...
+1

Which begs the question how is the risk reward calculated in selling these models?

I'd be willing to pay some upfront to a reputable model maker for a 100 - 140n sized VooDoo for an end product discount or something of the sort to get the project started.

More 250N+ size jets etc...
lol ... I was joking with a buddy the other day that not every body wants to fly IN their models to a jet meet or to their flying fields ... that's about the sizes we have today.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:18 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Someone on here once called them helium filled air bags powered by jets, or something like that. I guess the big Futura started it all
Old 01-05-2019, 06:04 AM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 100-140 size Voodoo would be perfect!!
I agree with Jeremy, all these "wish lists" are completely ignored by the manufacturers. Getting tired of seeing the same old jets being offered in different sizes. I guess they just haven't got any desire to do anything new.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:55 AM
youngguy
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by Sparhawk
A 100-140 size Voodoo would be perfect!!
I agree with Jeremy, all these "wish lists" are completely ignored by the manufacturers. Getting tired of seeing the same old jets being offered in different sizes. I guess they just haven't got any desire to do anything new.
I agree. The larger size jets are just to expensive and difficult to trans port and handle.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Boeing TX in the 120-140 range
Old 01-07-2019, 09:18 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix

What do the manufactures give us? 3 more sizes of F16's, 2 more sizes of F18's. New F16's in the same size but with electric landing gear or PNP. More weird pregnant looking fish jets, More 250N+ size jets etc. I hear all the time "the manufactures are listening" but then it's more of the same crap year after year. I have never been more bored with airframes than I am right now with the new jets that are coming out.
Initial investment costs are high, coupled with people not wanting to pay more than offshore prices.. In order just to break even the airplane has to be a pretty good success. There are a lot of people who want things, but then can't seem to write the check when something is produced.

I'm also frustrated like a lot of people in that the airplanes are getting so large that I can no longer transport or assemble them by myself. My Ultra Bandit is ALMOST too big as is.. As much as I like the way the monsters fly (and they DO fly well!), I just don't want to deal with moving them around. 100-140 sized airplanes are big enough for me.. The real problem here is the development and manufacturing costs for a smaller airplane aren't much less than the monsters.. but the profit margins (the things that keep businesses open) is small because people will complain if the perception is pricing is too high.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:14 AM
Mikey5547

I think variety is key in size and model type. Although most of us want the medium 100-160 size there are still people that want the huge planes or tiny planes. I think T-one looks like they’re doing that with the big T50, F22 but also the smaller 2m Yak and mini T-1 etc which I think is good.
But also you do get company’s play it safe and just do F-16s etc but when they say not many people have asked for a certain type of model and they don’t produce is it is a shame too because sometimes they need to take the risk and bring out a plane that potentially people might love. Whoever was the first manufacturer to bring out the Hawk or the Viperjet didn’t know how popular they would be and you now see them everywhere by every manufacturer and even foam versions. Sometime they should take a little risk too
Old 01-08-2019, 08:50 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultimate Jets have a few toys in the pipeline that are not huge and tick a lot of boxes...

F-8E Crusader 1/7th scale - demo fitted with a 140N turbine
F-84F Thunderstreak 1/5th scale - max 140N turbine
Douglas F-4D Skyray 1/5th scale - early stages so turbine size not published but suspect no more than 140N

marcs
Old 01-08-2019, 09:01 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
Boeing TX in the 120-140 range
this is super cool jet and probably very difficult to do the molds but I’m waiting for one if someone decides to do it and the Russian pak 50 the next one my wish list.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:34 PM
Airliner-rc
My Feedback: (1)

Somebody waiting airliners model? One or two engines? Or is it expensive for RC pilots? More then one engine, expensive scale landing gear, maybe other reasons?
Old 01-08-2019, 04:32 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Airliner-rc
Somebody waiting airliners model? One or two engines? Or is it expensive for RC pilots? More then one engine, expensive scale landing gear, maybe other reasons?
I think there are a few reasons.
Anything multi engine adds cost and complexity of course but there have been airliners and business jets modeled with single engines the L1011 and falcon come to mind. However these jets are typically huge, even with smaller engines and frankly they are I think a bit of a novelty. They are interesting and neat for a short time but not overly exciting to fly. They are scale and viewed as such but reality is most rc jet guys got into jets because of either speed or the scale fighters which are still fast and more or less aerobatic. There is a new breed of jet pilot in the aerobatic sport jet, be it 3d or precision aerobatics. An airliner doesn't really fit into any of those categories. I have looked at the models of those jets and often thought that's really cool, but I have never had any interest in owning one. Your mileage may vary.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:12 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

There’s not a lot TP out there.......

How about a OV10 Bronco from Rockwell
Old 01-17-2019, 06:35 AM
sysiek

Originally Posted by Dansy
There’s not a lot TP out there.......

How about a OV10 Bronco from Rockwell
+1 there so many turboprop turbines right now specially the smaller ones from KingTech
Old 01-17-2019, 05:11 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Grumman F11F Tiger is my dream airplane.. Main landing gear is a geometry nightmare though..

Last edited by Doug Cronkhite; 01-17-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Mikey5547

A cool new model to see is the L-39 Next Generation. L39 a very popular model which I’ve owned several and currently own a AW 1/5th L39. I can see the differences with the wings being the obvious one, the canopy and the tail fin. The new one is single all glass canopy rather than two separate ones on the old one. Plus the top of the fuselage was pretty flat where the new one has a hump from canopy to tail. Would be really cool if a manufacturer does one of these.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:42 PM
sysiek

YF-23 this is my dream jet.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:14 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

B-1 Bomber
Old 04-16-2019, 01:49 AM
Dave Matthews

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
Initial investment costs are high, coupled with people not wanting to pay more than offshore prices.. In order just to break even the airplane has to be a pretty good success. There are a lot of people who want things, but then can't seem to write the check when something is produced.

I'm also frustrated like a lot of people in that the airplanes are getting so large that I can no longer transport or assemble them by myself. My Ultra Bandit is ALMOST too big as is.. As much as I like the way the monsters fly (and they DO fly well!), I just don't want to deal with moving them around. 100-140 sized airplanes are big enough for me.. The real problem here is the development and manufacturing costs for a smaller airplane aren't much less than the monsters.. but the profit margins (the things that keep businesses open) is small because people will complain if the perception is pricing is too high.
I agree 100% with both you and LGM Graphix. I for one, as a custom model builder for hire, get totally disillusioned with the requests I get from people looking for a one off model and expecting mass produced offshore costs for that one off job.

Personally I could not care less if I was asked to make a giant or a 60size jet. It is all the same to me. Time is time and wages are divisible by the months required to do the actual work involved. The materials are what it costs and that is that. It's a simple formula of life of a model builder. However guys dreams and their grasp on reality sadly are something different entirely for the most part.

Sad truth that manufactures will keep churning out the same 'SAFE' stuff for you if nobody is willing to put their money down on development of a new idea. In the past 5 years I have had many guys and a few well known guys too looking for a custom jet design, only to expect me to pick up the development costs by reducing my wages for the hundreds of hours required to do the drawings, the molds, the development and that first build. And before anyone says anything, yes as a hobby doing all that work is free if it is your hobby/pastime, but it sure as heck is not free if it is your day job.

Put in simple terms, anyone can have what ever model they want. the question is do you do it in your spare time at your own cost of time and money derived from your day job with the skills you have, or do you bite the bullet and get it done for you and pay for it to be done. One thing is for sure, Manufactures are always going to stay with safe designs as all the talk in the World about guys saying that they will buy a new design and not doing so has to be weighed up against massive unit numbers to reduce item costs through bulk buying of materials. Also in the real world, there is no such thing as NRE, as someone has to pay the piper there.

Just my thoughts. Shoot me as required as I don't give a damn, now back to the workshop for me as I just lost 20 quid writing this pointless post.....LOL
Old 04-16-2019, 04:38 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by sysiek
YF-23 this is my dream jet.

+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.