Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FAA requiring outside markings now

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FAA requiring outside markings now

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 07:32 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am going to purchase a label maker and put my number on the bottom of all my models and be done with it even though I know there is no good reason it should be required.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:37 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Dr:Cito

Yes, still here and enjoying a drama free club, friendly members, very few during the week days, open skies, left and right, AWESOME!! Place to fly from mid day till sunset during the summer months, what else can I say, I love it there.

Come on and become a member of one of the best fields to fly jets in N. Cali.

Pm with Ph number and email sent.

Last edited by CARS II; 02-14-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:19 AM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a much simpler solution. The AMA is 85000 members strong right? I think 85000 members need to go tell the FAA and The Government to POUND SAND
Old 02-15-2019, 09:09 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetpilot24
I have a much simpler solution. The AMA is 85000 members strong right? I think 85000 members need to go tell the FAA and The Government to POUND SAND
Not so sure that’s the best solution....
Old 02-15-2019, 09:25 AM
camss69

Originally Posted by SECRET AGENT
Or, on a scale model, seperate the numbers randomly all over the plane, one here, another there. No rule saying the have to be in one spot or even in order.
As much as I like this idea and hate the idea of a government agency making rules and regulations in my hobby. This is the kind of thing that will force them to make another rule stating it has to be 2” high numbers and placed on the top side middle of both wings...
Old 02-15-2019, 10:49 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Drones need to be banned by drones I mean the stupid quadcopter crap that has caused the issues and brought regulation into canada and the USA. You guys are still lucky. Your new legislation isn't anywhere near as strict as transport canadas new laws......
Old 02-15-2019, 10:59 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Same thing the anti gun lobby says here. We don't use them so go ahead and ban them.

How about prohibiting beyond line of sight, autonomous flight and leave LOS flying alone no matter what platform? Unless you are licensed for such and have a flight plan filed.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:16 AM
camss69

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Same thing the anti gun lobby says here. We don't use them so go ahead and ban them.

How about prohibiting beyond line of sight, autonomous flight and leave LOS flying alone no matter what platform? Unless you are licensed for such and have a flight plan filed.
Agreed they should not be banned, but there should be a separate set of rules for them. Separate fixed wing from anything with more than two rotors.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:53 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Not really, no difference flying a quad line of sight than a heli.

Line of sight flying OR BLOS or autonomous should be the difference.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:00 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I dont disagree with you. I'm just bitter about them because after personally being in the hobby 40 years its this technology that has caused the major problems. The legislation needs to start at point of sale with retailers being responsible for explaining the laws and the common sense side of it. Problem is most people flying the damn things have no idea what is or isnt safe or legal. When you're at best buy you dont think about anything you are purchasing being illegal to use in certain situations. What has happened here in canada is now basically unless you are a MAAC member flying at a MAAC field (which I am and do) you basically cant fly anything. The height restrictions, distance restrictions etc have all but eliminated flying and now there are more talks for further restriction that if for any reason transport canada does not allow maac to remain exempt when operating at maac fields will basically eliminate almost any form of rc flying.
government isnt interested in actually looking at the source of the problem and finding the solution they are interested in the easy blanket to avoid having to deal with the root of the problem. Then it does affect us all. Involved in this hobby 40 years. Since I was 3 years old, and now we are on the edge of not being able to fly anything I own. I am incredibly grateful for MAAC and their dealing with transport canada otherwise we would have no hope.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:07 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Best part about this.... The have no enforcement mechanism, nor the funding to create one so what is their point?
Old 02-18-2019, 04:38 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This all was inevitable once they made drones anyone can fly without any experience or training with new technology etc. I'm going to simply put a tiny sticker on the bottom of my fuse somewhere on my jets. Let them find it. I've complied to the letter of the law and that's all they get for now until they change it. My bet is one day we are all going to be required to have numbers on our tails.... That will suck. But, I will still comply if it allows me to keep flying.

Is there a potential problem for the full scale commercial pilots out there?? Could non compliance affect their commercial license in a negative way? Does one FAA offense reflect on the other FAA stuff? Especially on a crash that causes property damage or worse a death? I bet there is some fine print in the regs somewhere that can adversly affect a full scale pilot for non compliance. And even if they did comply, their number is on a model that crashes and someone turns it into the FFA for an investigation. Does that create a new problem for a full scale pilot?

The mind wonders how far a government left to it's devices can go.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:50 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
Is there a potential problem for the full scale commercial pilots out there?? Could non compliance affect their commercial license in a negative way? Does one FAA offense reflect on the other FAA stuff? Especially on a crash that causes property damage or worse a death? I bet there is some fine print in the regs somewhere that can adversly affect a full scale pilot for non compliance. And even if they did comply, their number is on a model that crashes and someone turns it into the FFA for an investigation. Does that create a new problem for a full scale pilot?

The mind wonders how far a government left to it's devices can go.
Yes. I don’t know of the specifics and have not heard of any examples to date, but have been told that any FAA violation even related to this silly rule could affect my certification as a private pilot.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:10 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

I would say YES. Especially with guys holding Commercial or ATP. They will say you know better, you are a professional, and intentionally violated the FARs. It would be very easy leverage to make an example of someone to scare everyone else into compliance. We are not the problem but will make a good sacrifice for them to prove their point. Congress screwed us for the $ they got from commercial drone companies. Best Buy drone commanders dont read or comply with FARs and give us a bad name. We had a retired Fed visit our field recently, he was a modeler. He said the local TRACON can see our jets anove 400' as they set up their radar floor. I really dont believe that as I saw them miss the 747 just in front of me several times over my career. You can legally fly a 747 at 500', night, IMC, no comm in class G but dont fly a model there....they're dangerous. They can have my ATP....Im retired! The biggest thing I ever plan on flying be Rhino powered. Yaahoo!

Last edited by tp777fo; 02-19-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:19 AM
AndyAndrews

Wow. Unreal. I have friends who are worried about flying Jets now because they are a afraid of getting sanctioned by the FAA if something goes wrong. Some have long term million dollar contracts with their employers and can't afford even a smidgen of trouble with the FAA over model airplanes.

This makes me sick.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:35 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Time to rejoin AOPA to get their legal coverage just in case one may need the suits to protect you from the FAA, sad, sad.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:48 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

To be clear, my AMA number is now not good enough?
Old 02-20-2019, 02:03 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

To be clear, from the FAA perspective your AMA number hasn't been "good enough" for a few years already.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:02 PM
AndyAndrews

Originally Posted by Auburn02
To be clear, from the FAA perspective your AMA number hasn't been "good enough" for a few years already.
Nope.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:20 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

just a guess, but...

if the AMA wants to continue to pretend to be relevant, then, maybe they should drop their current number system and just start using the FAA numbers in it's place.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:26 PM
speed is life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo
just a guess, but...

if the AMA wants to continue to pretend to be relevant, then, maybe they should drop their current number system and just start using the FAA numbers in it's place.
Hah.....Touché
Hey AMA, truth hurts.....BOHICA!
Old 02-21-2019, 05:45 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CARS II
Time to rejoin AOPA to get their legal coverage just in case one may need the suits to protect you from the FAA, sad, sad.
Sad truth to think about rejoining the AOPA for the legal help and advice. Has anyone checked to see if they will even help modelers now that we are being controlled by the FAA? Or does the EAA have legal help with the FAA?
Old 02-21-2019, 06:21 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the FAA much they cant handle all thus stuff we have going on in the full scale world much less the typical AMA flyting field. The only people that are going to enforce this is the that bunch of guys that every flying field has that sits around giving flyers a hard time at the field. We have a crew at our field I avoid since it makes flying not fun anymore when they are around. Lucky for me they go to Denny's at 10:30 every day so I just wait until they leave to fly. One of our jet member's installed a GPS tracker inside his plane to prove he was staying in bounds because of these guys.

Anyway those are the guys that will enforce this stuff. I will be putting my number inside my wheel well some place. If they want to see it I can make sure my vent takes a leak on them.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:42 AM
Reever45
My Feedback: (16)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I really don't mind putting my number on the plane somewhere, but it just boils my blood that fixed wing even heli's for that matter get regs dumped on them because of drones. I have nothing against drones i've even messed around with a couple,but when was the last time you read or heard about a fixed wing or heli screwing around in the landing pattern at airports or flying in national parks etc? I know some of the FPV fixed wing can be an issue also, i mean how long has model aviation been around with no or minimal issues until the drones showed up? Should be as simple as if you fly a drone or fpv of any sort that you fly beyond visual range you must be certified/permitted to do so. But i agree, no idea how they think they can enforce it. Just like always the folks that follow the law will register and apply their numbers and follow the rules, the ones that created the need for the rules in the first place will do neither.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:46 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Dont blame the quadcopter guys for all this... the reason is the obvious military potential for anything that flies and have some computational power on it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47192232

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.