Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FAA requiring outside markings now

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FAA requiring outside markings now

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 02:00 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default FAA requiring outside markings now

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=93045

Sheesh. I'll find a label machine that can make tiny numbers and paste it on the bottom of the fuse somewhere. This is ridiculous.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:04 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=93045

Sheesh. I'll find a label machine that can make tiny numbers and paste it on the bottom of the fuse somewhere. This is ridiculous.
I agree! I printed mine out at point size 5, and I'll cut and paste them to the bottom of my planes...

Dumb!

Bob
Old 02-13-2019, 02:13 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The FAA believes this action will enhance safety and security by allowing a person to view the unique identifier directly without handling the drone.
Uh, but what if it's on the bottom?

Also I find it astonishing that they would make this ruling in the name of safety and security, yet on the same day propose a rule to allow drones to fly over people. Contradictory much?

Last edited by Auburn02; 02-13-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:22 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I just read the email, the rule has not changed since it was first introduced.

Way ahead of you guys, Ive been using a lable maker for over a decade to make my name, phone number, AMA number and other labels for all my drones ( model airplanes ) have my FAA registration number in size 5 then cut all around the number to make it even smaller, then it is placed under the left stab, right in that corner, easy to see and never touched by anything, even when I clean them.

The FAA has been all over my carrier, work and play since the late 80s, this sucks but doesn't bother me as much any more.

Moving forward.

Last edited by CARS II; 02-13-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:41 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It has changed. The new rule says the number must be outside the model now. Before that wasn't required. Only inside. New rule doesn't go into affect until FEB 25.

I'll put mine on the bottom somewhere. As if anyone is going to ask anyway. It's ridiculous.

Last edited by AndyAndrews; 02-13-2019 at 02:46 PM. Reason: eh
Old 02-13-2019, 02:53 PM
F16Jeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have a scale model with gear doors, why not put it on the inside of the door? When the gear are down and the door is open then the information is visible. Only a thought.

Jeff
Old 02-13-2019, 02:53 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

dry erase marker for events = ) maybe a decal that requires magnification glass to read LOL Government is just stupid, the people that caused this by breaking the rules will never follow this even if the some how learn about. Typical over reaction to everything these days.

Last edited by FenderBean; 02-13-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:08 PM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happens if I crash inverted and my markings are on the top of the "drone".
Old 02-13-2019, 03:24 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i put it on the back of my props real small and on the lip around my tail pipe on my jets..i think the faa should check both while the model is in use.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:45 PM
CARS II

Some guys print them like I do and place them on one of the leading edge flaps.
Click, click, now you see it, now you don't, hehehe.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:53 PM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Are roman numerals and sanskrit acceptable?
Old 02-13-2019, 05:05 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I tell people I'm a Registered Drone Offender, we are all guilty by association anyway, might as well get a laugh.

Its not going to get any better for us in my opinion. The people in charge at the top levels of the drone industry and law are all very well placed and connected to industry. Its like a mob dividing up the territories and agreeing on who gets what and where and when. I see no benefit to us regardless of the FAA/AMA relations. They will dictate to us what we will get to do, have and where and when its just a matter of time. They will impose technical requirements and mark my words if that doesn't include the ability to down our planes for any reason. We already comply in the form of not transmitting at very high power therefore we are passive and I have lost a couple planes to police activity in my immediate vicinity due to their radio coms. The cops that take breaks at our field to write reports know it and leave us alone if we have a few members flying. But, in the future they will have the ability to just knock our planes down due to deconflicting airspace or directed weapons to deny radio control. There are devices in the works to create a sphere around an aircraft flying through airspace that will cause the drone to change altitude, speed and direction. So imagine your at your field flying and a plane or helicopter comes near enough to activate this function while you're flying your expensive plane. Then it has to change altitude or attempt to deconflict and it crashes. Thats it, its your problem.

Directed radio wave weapons/jammers are real now too. I worked on the housing for one patterned after an AR so like a rifle. An officer can just pull this out of the trunk and knock down your plane for any reason they see fit. Then ask questions later...

Im not fear mongering, this is real and real close too. Im just pissed at the drone products, consumers and companies bear no responsibilities for ruining our hobby of 80 years! They made millions and never cared about the side effects this would have on the laws, the hobby, or the future.

The Genie is out fo the bottle now, I hope we can have another 80 years of this hobby.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:11 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Most scale jets have a BUNO marking somewhere. Just use scale font and use FAA# as BUNO.

there. You"re welcome.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:19 PM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Did I miss something? It says on the outside and visible without handling the drone, I haven't seen anything that says anything about it having to be a printed label, so what about writing it in black marker on the side of one of the tires? Black sharpies have a slight purple tint and when the light hits it right it's visible. Kinda the same idea as putting white reflective decals on the sides of white police cars, visible in certain light and complies with the letter of the law for marked vehicles.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:07 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my simple solution to the FAA UAS registration requirement:
I used my "Brother" label maker set to the smallest size, and affixed the label to the outer surface of the aft wing spar just ahead of the flap. The example shown is on my "FLY NAVY:" KingCat, but can be used on a variety of airframes.
Flaps "UP" and it is out of sight.....flaps "DOWN" and it is displayed as the FAA requires it.
Coating the balsa spar with 5 minute epoxy makes the balsa slick enough for the label to adhere.

Last edited by Harley Condra; 02-14-2019 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:47 AM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Meh.

I havent put an FAA number on any of my models. I’m not flying over people. I fly my toy plane out in the middle of nowhere and I’m in the market for a new flying field.

If if my new field makes me, then maybe I’ll make up some FAA number and put it on.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:59 AM
Auburn02

I'm guilty of not doing it on all of mine, but not out of protest or anything. Just not something I ever think about except when I see these threads and I'm nowhere near a label maker and/or the models.

As for a flying field enforcing it, our club decided early on that we/they are not associated with the FAA, only the AMA - we ensure members comply with AMA regs, it's between the members and the feds if they want to comply with the FAA or not. Any club that tries to police that sounds like a real fun bunch.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:30 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Same here.

I dont check the tags on your trailer, thats between you and the state and I don't check your FAA registration.

You need AMA to fly at the club and as a CD and club officer that's what I keep up with because the lease with the city requires insurance.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:42 AM
Auburn02

Ha, that was my exact analogy when it was proposed.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:49 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Our club made that exact same decision. We are not agents for the FAA.
I have been dinged at a couple of fun flies for not having AMA on my model. Sometimes you have to look close to see it because it looks like part of the random color scheme. I have never been asked at any fun fly, or field I visited for FAA markings. I do have FAA on some but not all of my aircraft.

I will have to see what the smallest font that my vinyl cutter can do. Then cut it out of the same color as where it is going, or even cut them from clear. I then will have raised letters so they are visible.....
Old 02-14-2019, 08:16 AM
F16Jeff

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just had a thought, do the FAA iiD in braille and it will look like panel rivets.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:16 AM
CARS II

Same with my club, no faa bches there.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:00 AM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Carlos! Are you still in Sacramento? I’m moving to Granite Bay in 2 weeks!

I need the info on the chill clubs up there!
Old 02-14-2019, 12:14 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some of the Scale Guys are talking about printing off Manufacture Data Plates (Grumman, North American, Chance Vought, etc. and printing the FAA number/AMA number onto the data plates. Place the plates inside the cowl or cockpit. Print the letters/numbers in small. There is no mention of a required font or size lettering. Kool. Chic
Old 02-14-2019, 03:26 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or, on a scale model, seperate the numbers randomly all over the plane, one here, another there. No rule saying the have to be in one spot or even in order.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.