Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spektrum radios?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spektrum radios?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 07:26 PM
Tec
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not one to bash brands, But I did see quite a few Jeti owners complaining about signal issues at FJ's last weekend.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:16 PM
Westwindpilot86

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not one to bash brands, But I did see quite a few Jeti owners complaining about signal issues at FJ's last weekend.
Same thing with north las vegas field. There are about 6-7 guys who fly jeti up there and some had issues with signal quality. One of the pilots was flying his F-16 and the whole flight the radio was talking to him about switching between 900 and 2.4, the whole flight. Must of been a few dozen times on a a 4-5 minute flight. Dont know if they figured out a solution but doesnt put a lot of confidence in the radio in my eyes.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:23 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Or the radio did exactly what it was designed to do. Switch to the frequency with the best signal at the moment. Had they not had the alarm voice active you would have never known.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:42 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Or the radio did exactly what it was designed to do. Switch to the frequency with the best signal at the moment. Had they not had the alarm voice active you would have never known.
If, … I had a Transmitter capable of band-switching and it was switching a lot, I would be wondering why isn't the primary RF link the best signal? The 900 Mhz capability is marketed as a backup capability. Bottom line for me would be: I would want to know, why is the radio switching to the backup, … frequently, when other radios seem to just operate flawlessly on the primary band. The answer would be pretty hard to figure out. For example:

Could the sensitivity in the 2.4 Ghz and/or the 900 Mhz Rxers not be up to snuff? Are the Rxer's adjacent channel /band rejection up to snuff? Could the 2.4 Ghz band be totally occupied in the local areas where the band switching is happening? Could the 2.4 Ghz protocol being used not be robust enough to preclude multiple "frame losses" resulting in band switching to and from 2.4 Ghz and/or 900 Mhz? Why the switching back and forth? If one band is NOT good, why keep switching back to it? Instead of spread spectrum across one band does the frequency hop to the other band happen on the first frame loss? For me, there would be lots of questions from an RF and protocol perspective. But if all the answers were satisfactorily addressed by the design, why not give it a whirl, especially in the absence of one's current brand's offerings? But, ...

I do recall my DX-18 recording a frame loss, once. But, never a hold. I fly the jets way out there and have a cell tower within 1/2 mile of the home field. Actually, the planes are a getting a lot closer to that tower as the pattern flies toward it. Given my experience with the equipment I have, if I bought new equipment of any brand with a back up band switching capability, and was seeing it switch to the back-up band frequently, I would get worried too. I would be asking a lot of questions, doing some RF testing and a lot of studying to identify what "normal" operation of the new equipment should be. For me, all the more reason to wait to see what Spektrum comes up with. But, always, always ... never buy from the first production run of any new model/brand unless you are willing to accept the risk(s) of being the beta tester. I tried this a couple times, and after several junk turbines and a couple junk transmitter brands later, have learned my lesson well.

Just my thoughts. Believe me though, I have been considering switching brands in spite of my desire to keep costs low, use my existing "fleet" of Rxers and keep the programming reasonably simple. Point being, I have given up being brand loyal a long time ago. But for now, its a wait and see, ... for me.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:05 AM
ZB

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec
LOL, this post of yours explains exactly how little you know about current technology.
One can only wish that you would spend as much time educating yourself as you spent talking about Jeti.

And by the way, we are not the "corporation" you should have the beef with. We did NOT Discontinued ALL "modern" DX18, DX18 V2, DX18QQ, DX20.... and had bunch of Recalls as well. Our original DS-16 (24 channel/4096 resolution) is still available and still after 6 years dominates all those I mentioned above.

a) We have been all 4 days at the FL Jets, not a SINGLE person complained or come forward with problems.
https://www.facebook.com/espritmodel/

b) Alarms are Adjustable, If I setup my Alarm at 9/100% I will get calls. All is customizable, I fly with A1/A2 set for 2 and Q for 20% @ 100Hz
If somebody was getting calls, that somebody needs to look how He/She setup his Tx. No MAGIC just technology.

c) You know the radio is computer that logs UP TO 80 DATA Streams. Where are the DATA LOGS of guys that complain? No need to talk, just SHOW WHAT YOU HAVE as simple as that.

d) I do not need to have "Feelings" about being connected I have data.

https://blog.espritmodel.com/jeti-da...ul-or-useless/

Rx A1 Antenna Signal Strength Am I getting 9, should I relocate antenna?
Rx A2 Antenna Signal Strength Am I getting 9, should I relocate antenna?
Rx Q Signal Quality Am I getting 100%, should I relocate the receiver?

Click image for larger version

Name:	6-1-300x225.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	2263861 Click image for larger version

Name:	4-1-300x225.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	2263862

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6-1-300x225.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	2263859   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-1-300x225.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	2263860  

Last edited by ZB; 03-27-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:53 AM
Tec
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by ZB
LOL, this post of yours explains exactly how little you know about current technology.
One can only wish that you would spend as much time educating yourself as you spent talking about Jeti.

And by the way, we are not the "corporation" you should have the beef with. We did NOT Discontinued ALL "modern" DX18, DX18 V2, DX18QQ, DX20.... and had bunch of Recalls as well. Our original DS-16 (24 channel/4096 resolution) is still available and still after 6 years dominates all those I mentioned above.

a) We have been all 4 days at the FL Jets, not a SINGLE person complained or come forward with problems.

b) Alarms are Adjustable, If I setup my Alarm at 9/100% I will get calls. All is customizable, I fly with A1/A2 set for 2 and Q for 20% @ 100Hz
If somebody was getting calls, that somebody needs to look how He/She setup his Tx. No MAGIC just technology.

c) You know the radio is computer that logs UP TO 80 DATA Streams. Where are the DATA LOGS of guys that complain? No need to talk, just SHOW WHAT YOU HAVE as simple as that.

Attachment 2263861 Attachment 2263862

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Z8FDwBkxA
Your right ZB, I must have been drunk and not seen anyone pointing at trees and powerlines saying "*** don't fly over there" during my four days at FJs.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:08 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ZB

Attachment 2263861 Attachment 2263862

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Z8FDwBkxA
HA. HA. HA. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA. HA. HA.

Thanks for the good laugh
Old 03-27-2019, 12:09 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec
Your right ZB, I must have been drunk and not seen anyone pointing at trees and powerlines saying "*** don't fly over there" during my four days at FJs.
I'll take the word of those actually there like you.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:01 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

First off, I think the Jeti DS-24 is a nice radio with lots of features. If it all works as advertised, I am not sure what else could be added above what is already offered. In the past, I have considered it several times. Being interested in technical aspects of the things I get into, Jeti does sound interesting. That being said, ...

I watched the above video , … again. Every time I see it, I initially decide that the radio is probably not for me. Then, I take a another look at the website. Then, I read thru to 160+ pages of the Manual. Then, I am convinced it is just not for me. The radio is just wayyyyy to complicated for what I need. For example, data logging is way too complicated and most-likely something the normal Jet Guy would never use. Come on, ...using graphs to show something as simple as fades and frame losses? Spectrum analysis is nice. But who knows how to really use it effectively? Maybe the RF engineers at Jeti? And that is a maybe. Certainly not the average Jet Guy in the field.

Guess I just must have 26 "poor second cousin" jet guys in the local club cause I have not seen one of them flying with Jeti. Although, I am told one did buy one. But, its been a couple years, and it still has not been out at the field. Just a fact. IMHO, … complexity increases cost and decreases the fun factor. Combine these three factors alone and a Jeti is a non-starter for the average jet guy.

BTW: What does that 24 channel radio and all the jet related sensors and 3 Rxers cost again? ~$2300 DS24+3(~$100 Rxers)+2($100 Sensors)= ~$3K. Also, how much are all the extras to actually make it all work? Lets put those facts on the table. No wonder we typically want to stick with our current brands regardless of what someone thinks is "current technology." Anyone remember when Weatronics users were claiming it was the "current technology?" And, … what happened to them?

Then there is the fact that with a Jeti setup there are only two 2.4 Ghz Rxers and one 900 Mhz Rxer. How do two Rxers cover the 3 dimensions needed to eliminate cross-polarization RF losses? How does one 900 Mhz Rxer eliminate cross-polarization losses? In theory, two cross-polarized RF antennas result in a 97% signal loss. Sure reflections and other RF effects are also in play here. But even at 50%, that signal loss is significant, especially when we figure in the signal blocked by our wiring and other conductive material we have in our planes. Maybe that is why the DS-24s are said to be frequently switching to the backup band. ?? Maybe a third 2.4 Ghz Rxer is needed? But then again, maybe I am interpreting the manual's system config wrong. ??

If someone wants to donate all the above Jeti system, I'll try it over a summer and write a report based on a run of the mill jet guy's experience. Going thru the building efforts to try one for a coupe weeks just is not worth the effort and would not result in a comprehensive understanding of its programming and overall use anyway. After all, run of the mill Jet Guys also have a real life to live too. But if a $3K+ trial setup would be coming out of my pocket, I'd rather live with waiting and seeing what Spektrum comes up with.

Been a great conversation. But I have spent way too much time thinking about a Jeti. Have a great flying season!

Last edited by Len Todd; 03-27-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:17 PM
ZB

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Todd
First off, I think the Jeti DS-24 is a nice radio with lots of features. If it all works as advertised, I am not sure what else could be added above what is already offered. In the past, I have considered it several times. Being interested in technical aspects of the things I get into, Jeti does sound interesting. That being said, ...

If someone wants to donate all the above Jeti system, I'll try it over a summer and write a report based on a run of the mill jet guy's experience. Going thru the building efforts to try one for a coupe weeks just is not worth the effort and would not result in a comprehensive understanding of its programming and overall use anyway. After all, run of the mill Jet Guys also have a real life to live too. But if a $3K+ trial setup would be coming out of my pocket, I'd rather live with waiting and seeing what Spektrum comes up with.

Been a great conversation. But I have spent way too much time thinking about a Jeti. Have a great flying season!
Way ahead of you, I can tell you one FACT (real fact) our success rate was over 98%
We have been running program for few year.

LOL, have EVER Speky offered DX20 or Anything else for testing for FREE????

Esprit Tech/Model 1.321.729.4287 - Jeti DS-12/14/16/24 & DC/DS-16/24 Radio System Test Drive

Click image for larger version

Name:	esprittech201701b_800x350.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	2263871
Old 03-27-2019, 02:12 PM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Len,
PM sent
Old 03-27-2019, 04:01 PM
pcskyhi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Weatronics is the New Powerbox Core system
Old 03-27-2019, 04:51 PM
pcskyhi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as Jeti goes, I was one of the first at my field who jumped on when they first came out and never looked back. have not had one single issue. Since then many at my field have made the jump and no they don't all fly jets and they are not all rich either. Right now I am being buddy boxed on my first turbine jet with a fellow Jeti flyer without issue. I will admit that took some figuring out but once figured out it works like a charm. As far as getting the telemetry I personally don't have a lot of extra stuff in my aircraft. A GPS for speed and altitude and a sensor that sends all the turbine information to the transmitter. Besides the receiver which has a built in gyro, I have one extra receiver (less than $100) for redundancy (dual path).
I am not here to defend Jeti but I am here to defend telemetry. This past weekend because we had telemetry my friend discovered he had a issues with the turbine engine while flying and what that did was make him aware of what he needed to do to get his jet back on the ground in one piece. Because of the telemetry he was forewarned and not caught off guard which could have led to panic and hasty decisions. All the brands of radios are going down the telemetry pathway and I think it just makes flying safer when you have systems in place to alert you when you have an issue with your aircraft. It is the way of the world now. look at vehicles with all the new technology to assist you with driving trying to prevent accidents. Some people just don't want to be helped I guess.
I think Spektrum is just trying to improve their brand and trying to catch up with what going on with RC technology. You guys are complaining about how much the stuff is going to cost and no product or prices have been announced yet. at least let them announce something before kicking them in the butt. Telemetry capable does not drive up the cost, Brand names do. Have you looked at Graupner or Taranis? Spektrum is just doing what they need to do to stay relevant and in business. I hope they do something that knocks everyone's socks off. Go Spektrum. We are in a technology driven hobby and it will never stop advancing no matter how much we fuss.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:14 PM
propstryker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently inherited a 2012 DX18 that came with a 40% er that I purchased from a fellow modeler. At the same time my Hitec Aurora 9 has died and is no longer available. I am thinking of switching over and buying Spektrum receivers for the DX18, and maybe upgrade to another Spektrum TX in a few years. I bought the Hitec because it was simple to program. I am finding myself wondering if I should go down the Spektrum path. This is my first Spektrum radio. I am going to go ahead and fly it for awhile. My flying and radio needs are pretty simple, much less complicated than what you guys are needing I think.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:40 AM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

The OP is not about brands, per se. He wants to be able to use his currently held trusty equipment which is getting harder to source. PERIOD.

I can personally understand that. I went through the EXACT same thing with JR.

Frankly, I think I was more along the lines of panic as I do not trust any other radio like I trusted my JR 12x!

I still kinda don’t REALLY! But, I had to do something if I wanted to continue to fly RC.

And Jeti has been around a REALLY long time and their “old” stuff did not become obsolete when their new flag ship came out and as a matter of fact, all the “old” people still holding the “old” transmitter, got a FREE upgrade to a 24 channel tx!!

Who else does that?!!

That is the kind of service I’d like to get too!
Old 04-01-2019, 08:25 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The way I see it is this, the old radios worked on tried and true electronic theory. Simple like an old car which most anyone could understand.
The modern radios work on software. Like your Microsoft Windows.
So my question is, what guarantee do we have that the code written for these things is error free out of the box? Answer, there is no guarantee because it isn't.
And to add to it, they're designed for the owner to configure the thing. Many, many, many ways to configure it. So how do we know that EVERY configuration possibility has been tested? We don't. And neither do the manufacturers. Otherwise the price for these radios would be close to that new car.

Point is the old radios could be tested completely. Each and every part, each and every possibility.
The new radios have so many possibilities due to being computerized, 100% testing is impossible. So what you guys are doing in the field is basically testing the beta version of a radio that will never come out in a final form. Though that isn't what the manufacturers will say.

But don't take my word for it. Ask someone with experience in software QA, Test and Verification.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:29 PM
Andika

Originally Posted by Len Todd
If, … I had a Transmitter capable of band-switching and it was switching a lot, I would be wondering why isn't the primary RF link the best signal?
The 900 Mhz capability is marketed as a backup capability.
Bottom line for me would be: I would want to know, why is the radio switching to the backup, … frequently, when other radios seem to just operate flawlessly on the primary band.
The answer would be pretty hard to figure out. For example:
Futaba and many others do work perfect with a single antenna while the pizza box requires 4 antennas + the 900 link backup.
Powerbox C26, Spektrum ix20, JR T64... there is actually no need to purchase anything from that ZB clown.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:53 AM
hmjets

lol,spot on !!
Old 04-15-2019, 05:36 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Andika
Futaba and many others do work perfect with a single antenna while the pizza box requires 4 antennas + the 900 link backup.
Powerbox C26, Spektrum ix20, JR T64... there is actually no need to purchase anything from that ZB clown.
Right... all the other brands work perfect all the time...

And Jeti “requires” 4 antennas and a backup 900 or it won’t work..

Sounds like you have a perfect understanding of how it all works.. wow.

i get you guys don’t like ZB, but the false information that’s put out there just to “get to” ZB is ridiculous.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:40 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm still using my trustworthy Spektrum 18 without any fails. By the way is a gen. 1.

hmarmaizmd717
Old 04-15-2019, 06:25 AM
Andika

Originally Posted by camss69
Sounds like you have a perfect understanding of how it all works.. wow.
signal lost....signal lost....signal lost... this is how that crap system works at the large aircraft meetings

btw, that thing called ''Q link'' is totally useless.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:18 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Love my gen 1 DX18!!

After all this is a spectrum thread.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:48 AM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Andika
signal lost....signal lost....signal lost... this is how that crap system works at the large aircraft meetings

btw, that thing called ''Q link'' is totally useless.
Wow.

Many of us can understand the age old adage of “there is more than one way to skin a cat”.

Many radio (can I dare say “all”, as many people fly them all with varrying degrees of success) manufactures put out good products.

And this comment really does show how little one knows about the pizza box. It is so powerful that it can tell you WAY more than you want to know. These over and abundant features are what attract some of us and, concomitantly, dissuade others like yourself.

Thats cool. You do you boo boo.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:52 AM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd

Love my gen 1 DX18!!

Kris, I look forward to seeing at JOK.
Bob
Old 04-15-2019, 01:55 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd

Love my gen 1 DX18!!

Damn that'ts a gorgeous jet, but who's that goofy looking guy holding the radio?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.