Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xtreme Jets BD5 *Mods*

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xtreme Jets BD5 *Mods*

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xtreme Jets BD5 *Mods*

Due to the numberous pm's and emails I have gotten lately asking "How does your BD5 fly so good??" Here are the mods I did to improve it:

1. I mounted the engine to the bottom side of the mounting rails, added 2 washers (1/8") to the front of the motor mounting bolts to give it more up thust. Back of motor is lowered 1/4" and the front of the motor is lowered 3/8".

2. I matched the new thrust line of the motor to the exhuast pipe, the end of the exhuast pipe is 'pressed' against the top of the fuse in the tail cone section. I then cut off 2 1/2" of the tail cone on the end of the fuse. Added wooden spaces around the end of the exhuast pipe at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions.

3. The elevator stabs were set to 0 incidence, if you check before you glue them on the front of the stab is 1/8" highere then the trailing edge.

4. Added a aileron > rudder mix (curve), which increases the roll rate 100%. Example: full 1" right aileron throw there is 1/8" right rudder added.

5. Throws:
3/4" high rate elevator 5/8" low rate elevator
1" +/- aileron throw
1 1/2" rudder throw
2" full flap 1" take off flap

I have a JetCentral Rabbit KS for power, at 3/4 to full throttle there is soo much down thrust you would loose elevator control with 3/4" throw. Once I changed the thrust line to give it more up thrust, I have full elevator control (5/8" throw) at any throttle setting. NO more loosing elevator at top of loops, going vertical, etc.. Can hold a knife edge at 5/8 throttle, faster roll rates. Hopes this helps you all building this BD5.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94331.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1638699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77980.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1638700  
Old 10-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Rcman4u2
My Feedback: (1)

Great info on the BD5. Mine is due by end of the month (I hope). I had a Byron BD5 back in the day and it flew very well.. Did not have flaps so it was hard to slow down for landing. Other than that it was a super performer. Hope my SkyMaster does as well.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

Originally Posted by Rcman4u2
Great info on the BD5. Mine is due by end of the month (I hope). I had a Byron BD5 back in the day and it flew very well.. Did not have flaps so it was hard to slow down for landing. Other than that it was a super performer. Hope my SkyMaster does as well.
Which engine you putting in it??
Old 10-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Rcman4u2

I am putting a KingTech K80G (18lbs. thrust). Should get the BD5 within two weeks. The information you posted will be of great help during the build. Plan on flying off my private grass strip.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:06 AM
smith john
My Feedback: (4)

hi can u give me some information, with the wing at 0deg what is the inc of the eng and the tail ,I have a hemple bd it is a flying mess. thanks john
Old 06-11-2015, 01:01 PM
Rcman4u2

Sorry, but I ended up selling my BD5 before I built it. Wish I could help.

Lowell
Old 06-11-2015, 01:10 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rcman4u2
Plan on flying off my private grass strip.
Very nice strip!! You need to have an informal jet-together for the "local" folks someday.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:38 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

guys, my friend just picked up a new xtreme jets bd-5 and i'm doing a James bond paint job on it .. we were looking at this thread and had a few questions.. the horizontal stab is showing 4 degrees positive incidence with the wing at 0 . we looked at the engine thrust mod and i talked to a very knowable friend and we came to the conclusion that the engine mod would only give the thrust line about 1/8 th of a degree . basically wouldn't make any difference. however the hor. stab mod would be the most effective. so i want to understand you .. you said that you zeroed the stab with the wing at the root? with 4 degrees of positive incidence ,it's no wonder the thing wanted to dive so bad. thanks for your help,WB_1
Old 04-07-2019, 12:05 PM
B.S.

I am very happy every time I find information online about ongoing projects.
For my Skymaster / Extrem jets BD5 / BD-5 I used following adjustments from this thread:

5. Throws:
3/4" high rate elevator 5/8" low rate elevator
1" +/- aileron throw
1 1/2" rudder throw
2" full flap 1" take off flap

For mine new BD5 was this setup almost a crash after takeoff today.

My settings for second flight:
Elevator: 14 mm +/- and 60% Expo
Aileron: 28 mm +/- and 0% Expo
CG in this thread worked (120 mm)

I shortened the plane 4 cm and moved the turbine (P100) forward but needed 0,9 kg in the nose :-(