Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Advanced Radio (AR) 26 channel receiver for spektrum futaba and jeti BEST GYRO!!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Advanced Radio (AR) 26 channel receiver for spektrum futaba and jeti BEST GYRO!!

Old 03-25-2019, 04:10 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Default New Advanced Radio (AR) 26 channel receiver for spektrum futaba and jeti BEST GYRO!!

So I started on a new project a few months ago. The new T-1 models F22. This aircraft has a ton of extras that use allot of channels like leading edge flaps thrust vectoring bomb bay doors and other things. It was clear right away the my DX18 was not going to be able to cover all the extra channels. Dirk at PacificRCjets was already working with a new vendor for us. He told me BoomaRC has something called the Advanced Radio receiver that will work on my spektrum by simply plugging in my 4 satellite receivers and that will get me 26 channels and an integrated gyro. I was blown away after reading about it so he had one shipped over to me to test. If all went well we would start to carry it here in the US.

Fast forward to programming. This went VERY smooth with only a few small issues that I brought up to the lead engineers that created it and they are already getting an update ready to incorporate the features I wanted to see. Its nothing like programming a powerbox. This system is a cake walk to program and it all makes sense and is not overly complicated. I had a 3 nights reserved to program it. In the end it took only one evening to get her done. This also included 3 built in sequencers that are easy to use.

Now the best part and this was totally unexpected. The GYRO is the BEST gyro I have ever used and is so far ahead of the others its insane. I got this unit for the extra channels and was going to try their gyro out but I have a cortex pro sitting in the box that I thought I was going to use. Well after programming the integrated gyro their is no looking back and I would never put a cortex in over this gyro because its a huge down grade. The gyro updates 4 times per millisecond so its processor is screaming fast. The system uses your aircraft weight, barometric pressure and accelerometer's to calculate gyro gain. You can control it manually also like old school gyros but I have found their is no need. This gyro will keep the gain at its highest setting that your aircraft can handle and adjust it as necessary without getting the shakes. So if you drop the flaps and slow down it will automatically increase the gain. I have used this now in very windy conditions and its the best gyro I have used.

The unit also has a touch screen display that shows your battery info. This is nice because when you set up the aircraft you input your battery milliamps. This is huge since this unit will monitor how many milliamps you have used and give you an accurate measure of power left. Our LIFE batteries are great in being they hold their voltage until the end. This is great but really hard to predict when they drop. This system eliminates that. Unit has built in power switching with voltage regulators that you can set to your own specs. You can also purchase a magnetic switch to turn power on and off. I installed this and love it. No need to remove any panels to turn on power. You can also get a keyfob if wanted to turn power on and off.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:27 AM
gunradd

So without getting to far into the gyro debate understand pilots all have different preference's when it comes to gyros. Some love one and some love another. So here is my opinion on the gyros I have used.

I started out years ago using the eagle tree gyro. It worked great and was a big step up from nothing. Next I tried the PB 3E and the cortex. I never liked the feel of the 3E but I loved the cortex. I have also done a test flight on a guys plane and I think he had the A8. I have also used the spektrum gyro and have one installed in a plane in my hanger along with several cortexes still and sold the one 3E with a plane. These where all very good gyros and where a big step up from the eagle tree. This new gyro was like taking another leap into a whole new category of gyros. Its jot just a little better. Its in a class of its own.

To me a good gyro is one that you don't notice its their unless you turn it off. This one feels like that. I turned it off for a few laps to see how much work it was doing and to check the CG and was blown away how much work it was doing. Its a whole different aircraft with it on or off. Its also nice not having to think about gyro gain and having it all automatic.

starting from the best in my opinion
1 AR integrated gyro ( in a class of its own)
2 Cortex pro Still love the cortex
3 Cortex
4 Flex A8
5 Spektrum
6 3E I gyro ( I know allot of people love this gyro and it works great for them. I have flown it on 3 different planes and I personally don't like it.)
7 eagle tree ( a very good starter gyro)

I know some will get but hurt because gyro threads are like radio threads but THIS IS MY OPINION PERIOD. That being said very happy
Old 03-25-2019, 04:32 AM
gunradd

These units can be used with Spektrum Futaba JR and Jeti. Lots of different options also can be done with them. Dirk at PcificRCjets.com has allot of these in stock ready to ship. The price is around $400.00 depending on options you buy. The sequencers cost about $50 each depending on how many you need to use. So by the time you order a spektrum 20 channel receiver and a cortex pro its about the same price. Its clearly a ton cheaper then a PB system.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:29 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have been flying the AR Smoothflite in my ACE Composites Ultra Sagan on Futaba 18MZ radio.

The unit was super simple to setup and definitely the most intuitive setup i ever did.
Within a short evening i had everyrhing going well, and battery telemetry data worked right away. a real plug and play unit!

Here is some flight video.. super smooth!

https://youtu.be/v4wXkQIBE3A
Old 03-25-2019, 12:42 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 341 Likes on 273 Posts

Sorry I let Frank Noll drag me off, I wanted to sit with you and check that thing out Kris.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:42 PM
kelly vallee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When will this update be done, can we update old version?
Old 03-25-2019, 06:19 PM
gunradd

Hello kelly. I was told they are working on it and testing it to make sure it works with all the radios.

Which AR do you have?
Old 03-26-2019, 04:13 AM
kelly vallee

I don’t have one, but will like to know if I order today I can update it myself?
Old 03-26-2019, 05:29 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I guess I should have stopped by the booth to learn more last week, too busy watching the flying I guess. So on PRCJ's site I see the Smooth Flite and the Smart Bus - your photo is the Smart Bus, but only the Smooth Flite has the integrated gyro, correct? Are there any telemetry parameters other than battery? I see no mention of GPS so assuming not at this time, just curious. Looks like a fantastic piece of hardware for the price.

One of the guys in our group picked one up to play with, so hopefully I'll get to learn more about it soon.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:54 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by kelly vallee
When will this update be done, can we update old version?
what update?
Old 03-26-2019, 07:36 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by kelly vallee
I don’t have one, but will like to know if I order today I can update it myself?
hello Kelly
i sent a message to the engineer to make sure users can update them. I do know they are sending me a cable to do updates on mine.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:42 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by Auburn02
I guess I should have stopped by the booth to learn more last week, too busy watching the flying I guess. So on PRCJ's site I see the Smooth Flite and the Smart Bus - your photo is the Smart Bus, but only the Smooth Flite has the integrated gyro, correct? Are there any telemetry parameters other than battery? I see no mention of GPS so assuming not at this time, just curious. Looks like a fantastic piece of hardware for the price.

One of the guys in our group picked one up to play with, so hopefully I'll get to learn more about it soon.

they do have telemtry options but thats that’s something I don’t use. They are working with spektrum on some new telemetry options for that system.

it does not have a gps but has accelerometers to help control gyro gain.

The unit I am using is a special unit built for me. It has the bus and gyro. Would need to contact Dirk to see if it’s available now.

Once people start using using these it’s going to catch on fast. They are great units.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:13 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

I ordered one of these last week after reading your first post about it in another thread. I too wanted to have more available channels without having to buy a new radio system and being able to use 4 DSMX Rx's that I have faith and trust in sold me on it. The battery system, sequencer and gyro are huge pluses. Can't wait til mine shows up.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:25 AM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are they compatible with JR 12x?
Old 03-26-2019, 08:25 AM
gunradd

Perfect Ron! Hope too see you on Kentucky! Need any help with it let me know.

Just got a message from the engineer and yes we can update them ourselves as new software comes available.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:53 AM
FenderBean

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

I really like these new products hopefully some does an SBus one some day. The current power system I use in all my jets is older and doesn’t have a lot of the new built in features current.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:50 AM
kelly vallee

Originally Posted by gunradd
Perfect Ron! Hope too see you on Kentucky! Need any help with it let me know.

Just got a message from the engineer and yes we can update them ourselves as new software comes available.
Thanks for the good news, let us know when you get the updated feature. Them I would place a order. Kelly

Last edited by kelly vallee; 03-26-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:06 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by txshan130
Are they compatible with JR 12x?
Yes they are compatible with JR.

This is a very good option for those with 12 channel transmitters like the JR 12X or the new spektrum IX12 that need more channels and the best Gyro.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:40 AM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Looks like the system I’ve been looking for! Looks very impressive. One question though, I plan to eventually upgrade to a DS24 (currently running a 16), is there provisions to run 3 receivers? i.e. 1 900mhz and 2 2.4ghz? Definitely going to try one in my next plane, and possibly replace a PB system I have installed on one that’s being built now.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:49 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by DHC6
Wow! Looks like the system I’ve been looking for! Looks very impressive. One question though, I plan to eventually upgrade to a DS24 (currently running a 16), is there provisions to run 3 receivers? i.e. 1 900mhz and 2 2.4ghz? Definitely going to try one in my next plane, and possibly replace a PB system I have installed on one that’s being built now.
I directed the head engineer to give input on this thread. Hes on the other side of the planet though traveling so hopefully he gets on.

I am not sure about the 3 receivers. Maybe this video will help not sure?
Old 03-26-2019, 02:58 PM
FenderBean

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

If they decide to do a true SBus version and need some info to help with one give me a shout!
Old 03-26-2019, 04:31 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

By true, do you mean SBus out?
Old 03-26-2019, 04:53 PM
shepga

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1
Old 03-27-2019, 06:49 AM
gunradd

I always thought all the SBus stuff was Just more over priced stuff and over complicating things.

Im not sure if these guys have SBus stuff
Old 03-27-2019, 01:37 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean
If they decide to do a true SBus version and need some info to help with one give me a shout!

Originally Posted by gunradd
I always thought all the SBus stuff was Just more over priced stuff and over complicating things.

Im not sure if these guys have SBus stuff
Originally Posted by FenderBean
I really like these new products hopefully some does an SBus one some day. The current power system I use in all my jets is older and doesn’t have a lot of the new built in features current.
Gentlemen,
The AR Smoothflite is compatible with SBUS2 Futaba and this is what im flying in my Ultra Sagan in the video i posted - with 18MZ.
Try one - i gurantee you will LOVE it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.