Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Thrust Vectoring opinions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Thrust Vectoring opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 01:09 PM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Thrust Vectoring opinions

I am considering ordering a T-1 and was considering thrust vectoring. I was curious to know how many people actually use thrust vectoring on a regular basis. Is it a worth while option? Would you get it again if you had the option?
Thanks for looking,
Tone
Old 03-26-2019, 02:55 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
I am considering ordering a T-1 and was considering thrust vectoring. I was curious to know how many people actually use thrust vectoring on a regular basis. Is it a worth while option? Would you get it again if you had the option?
Thanks for looking,
Tone
I'm not sure about the T-1 specifically, but in general, it depends on the type of flying you want to do. If you want to do flips, flat spins, etc., then thrust vectoring is really the only way to do it (some planes will do it without thrust vectoring, but not many, and some can become uncontrollable when they do - ask me how I know...).

If you just want to do big "traditional" jet acrobatics, then you don't need it, and don't need the added weight and complexity. Jase Dussia can spank the EA Havoc GTS pretty hard without thrust vectoring...

If I wanted to really do that stuff, I'd get a CARF J-10 and do it on there, or perhaps (maybe) an F-22. On other sport jets, it looks "goofy" to me, but YMMV!

One thing to consider is that if you do get thrust vectoring and you use it often, it WILL impact how long the bearings last in your turbine! Do not let anyone tell you differently, 'cause it will! How much depends on the engine type, the specific engine, and how hard you beat on it, but that kind of maneuvering puts extra load on the bearings and it does make a difference...

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 03-26-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:59 PM
Tec
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SebArt's Avanti S always looked very unsettled in high alpha, hovering or any other maneuver besides a flat spin, the T-1 is a good four pounds heavier and has a smaller wing area. If you want to fly 3D with a jet, I also believe the J-10 or Eurosport is the better option.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:04 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thrust vectoring,,, well. I dont like it at all. I appreciate more the fast, smooth style of acrobatics, and even some 3D moves without a vector pipe, just using gravity and some throttle management.

Pehaps I have a biased opinion, as the closest I had come to crash a perfectly functioning jet was by doing some stupid stuff with a vector pipe. LOL
Old 03-27-2019, 08:28 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I love vectoring on a scale jet if the scale jet has it on the full scale version.

Sport jets with vectoring=dumb But what ever makes you happy at the end of the day is your choice. Don't worry about what others think its your plane.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:02 AM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I have not actually had a thrust vectoring jet before. I was mainly curious to know if it is a worthwhile upgrade and if people are using it regularly. Does not sound like the juice is worth the squeeze.
Tone
Old 03-27-2019, 03:55 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thrust vectoring without smoke is pointless IMO.... flat spins with smoke are pretty cool... I've had two planes with it... fun.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:44 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
I have not actually had a thrust vectoring jet before. I was mainly curious to know if it is a worthwhile upgrade and if people are using it regularly. Does not sound like the juice is worth the squeeze.
Tone
Plus, you need to use discretion. If there are more than 1 or 2 jets in the air, nobody really appreciates someone doing flips or hovers in the middle of the pattern.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:39 PM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Two of my jets are TV a Carf Su27 and a Mephisto they are so fun to fly, doing staff that with other planes you can’t Move your skills forward... i have a Carf Eurosport on the build table now, I agree a j10 and also the Eurosports are pretty good choises and not that expensive...
Old 03-30-2019, 12:52 AM
PrionPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a CARF euro 3D and I leave the TV on all the time. Jetcat 180rx for power ��