Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Twins flameout detection

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Twins flameout detection

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 04:42 AM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Twins flameout detection

Hey guys, I remember reading a lot of smart ideas and comments regarding this issue, but I obviously can't find anything anymore.
Can you kindly give me some input on how to set a warning on a futaba 18 when an engine flames out? What's the best approach? Current/voltage on pump, valves, rpm, temperature, etc etc
And how to get a warning that doesn't drive me nuts while I m trying to land?

Thanks all!
Old 03-29-2019, 05:10 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

RPM below idle threshold, 10,000 or so I would think would do it pretty easy
Old 03-29-2019, 05:33 AM
mauryr

with this? https://www.xicoy.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=362
is there an equivalent for the new kintech ecu?
Old 03-29-2019, 05:52 AM
ZB

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can use standalone Jeti ProfiBox with two of the MUI 30 sensors between ESC and pump.
Easy instillation, you do not have to touch your existing system and you can have independent sensors for both turbines. The additional sensors like MFlow (Fuel), MBar Air pressure is just the cherry.

Another advantage, your friend can monitor data and you can keep flying.

Zb

Jeti Telemetry JetiBox Profi Monitor/Programmer
Old 03-29-2019, 07:52 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I have sold a few of the Xicoy telemetry adaptors, they seem popular.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:38 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Cant say with Futaba, but with the Jeti I setup a telemetry control that activates after turbine is started (Temp>200C). This actives an alarm that triggers when pump cutoff (think is something like V <0.1). Bu uing pump voltage the alarm triggers immediately without waiting for the RPM to drop off
Old 03-29-2019, 11:18 PM
tassos p

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez
Cant say with Futaba, but with the Jeti I setup a telemetry control that activates after turbine is started (Temp>200C). This actives an alarm that triggers when pump cutoff (think is something like V <0.1). Bu uing pump voltage the alarm triggers immediately without waiting for the RPM to drop off
I've done something similar on my Jeti which is combining 3 sensors. Flame out alarm (voice) goes off when:
1) Altitude is more than 2m
2) RPM is less than 20,000rpm
3) EGT is between 100C and 300C

The possibilities with Jeti are almost endless...

The pump voltage also looks a nice idea, however seen sometimes turbines flaming out and the pump keeps on pumping and a trail of fuel can be seen from the back.....

Thanks, Tassos
Old 03-30-2019, 11:31 AM
bidrseed2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the OP is asking specifically about the Futaba 18, so while the above is helpful, I don’t think anyone has answered his question. Jeti does seem far more flexible, but the OP is using Futaba.
I’m not at home now to try it, but I think this may work.

Ive a 18mz and feel your pain. If you use a trigger of less than 10000 rpm as suggested, in the event of a flameout, the alarm will go off, but won’t ever stop, as the OP recognises.
You could use a rpm range from 10000 to say 30000 rpm, so during a rundown you’ll get the warning. It won’t help you though if the engine seizes, OR there’s a ECU or the rpm unit fails.

i guess you could use a EGT range, say from a temp below idle, to approximately 100 degrees less. If the engine ran down or seized (assuming it’s not on fire, which hopefully you’d see anyway) then you would have the warning, while the engine cooled down.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:16 AM
mauryr

Originally Posted by bidrseed2
I think the OP is asking specifically about the Futaba 18, so while the above is helpful, I don’t think anyone has answered his question. Jeti does seem far more flexible, but the OP is using Futaba.
I’m not at home now to try it, but I think this may work.

Ive a 18mz and feel your pain. If you use a trigger of less than 10000 rpm as suggested, in the event of a flameout, the alarm will go off, but won’t ever stop, as the OP recognises.
You could use a rpm range from 10000 to say 30000 rpm, so during a rundown you’ll get the warning. It won’t help you though if the engine seizes, OR there’s a ECU or the rpm unit fails.

i guess you could use a EGT range, say from a temp below idle, to approximately 100 degrees less. If the engine ran down or seized (assuming it’s not on fire, which hopefully you’d see anyway) then you would have the warning, while the engine cooled down.
In regards to disabling the alarm maybe I could use the landing gear switch... Ideally, I think with Gaspar's ecu the easiest and cheapest solution would be his telemetry module... With kingtech, however, I m not sure, maybe a voltage or current sensor measuring on the pump leads
Old 04-01-2019, 11:34 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could use both fuel pump power to driving a AND-Gate circuit....it would detect if either engine flame out. Then use the logic output to drive a futaba sbs-01v.

Last edited by basimpsn; 04-01-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:21 AM
mauryr

Originally Posted by basimpsn
You could use both fuel pump power to driving a AND-Gate circuit....it would detect if either engine flame out. Then use the logic output to drive a futaba sbs-01v.
Yes, that's also an option
Thanks all for the input!
Old 04-02-2019, 06:27 AM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"mauryr" I think easier way to stablish engines flame out alarms in Futaba 18MZ is controling the voltage to the pumps using a combination of external voltage imput cable (CA-RVIN-700) and a voltage sensor(SBS-01V) or even 2 voltage sensors if you prefer using the external voltage cable for any other battery.

Remember that if you go the 2x SBS-01V sensors you should have to register both on the transmitter so as to get data from each one on the corresponding screens.

Then you only have to establish two -one for each turbine- very low voltage alarms, for example below 0,1V (I do not remember if you may fix 0,0V as an alarm value), and a switch for activating/desactivating the alarm which depending on your turbine might be the same for starting/stoping the turbines.

This way if you ear the engine flame out alarm during flight you may switch off it and, at the same time, enter engine quit/cooling mode. Of course you may be very, very carefull selecting alarms tones and/or vibes so as not to quit the live engine!.

Best Regards.