RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba 32 coming.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:25 PM
Springbok Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Question Futaba 32 coming.

Is it true, anyone know about this?

https://m.facebook.com/FutabaRC.JPN/...033978/?type=3

JanR

Last edited by Springbok Flyer; 04-02-2019 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:02 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have an 18MZ and a Jeti DS-24. I like my 18MZ better for just about everything except telemetry and ways to use telemetry. I can't imagine anything the 32 would have that my 18MZ doesn't have that would make me buy it other than a huge leap froward in telemetry.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:05 AM
Afterburners

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

First I've heard of it. IMO, Futaba's flagship radio line has dropped so far behind the curve in terms of update's, telemetry, features, third party integration and price that the only way this radio(if it actually is released) has a chance to sell in any numbers is to compete in all the aforementioned criteria and at least meet or beat the price of the competition. Something I doubt Futaba will do. Their consumer grade RC division is a small sliver of their bottom line that it seems they could take it or leave it.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:13 AM
Carsten Groen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would say that this is the last chance they (Futaba) has at getting "the job done". If they still have ancient telemetry, they are out of the (future) game in my view.
Their telemetry "protocol" is so very much far behind almost anyone else (and believe me, I do telemetry stuff for both Jeti and PowerBox Core, I know the intricate details of both systems). Futaba is way way behind, and the current "protocol" they use for telemetry will not enable them to fix this. The only hope is they listened along the way, and changed something dramatically. But, my hopes are not very high.....
Old 04-02-2019, 05:37 AM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You know I am happy with almost everything my 18mz does. It even gives me the telemetry that I need, but you know the simplest crap they just won't do. I would be happy with a louder speaker and a talking timer, but they can't do that. They give talking timer function to their lesser radios but not their flagship....wth futaba? Its one of the very reasons I own a DS16 and considering making the swap completely to Jeti.

Patrick
Old 04-02-2019, 06:05 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen View Post
Futaba is way way behind, and the current "protocol" they use for telemetry will not enable them to fix this.
Can you go into a bit more detail on this? While I am well aware the telemetry options are more limited, every sensor I have used with Futaba has worked well, with quirks like air pressure having to be registered as a temperature sensor. But what is it about their "protocol" that is lagging?
Old 04-02-2019, 06:24 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Afterburners View Post
First I've heard of it. IMO, Futaba's flagship radio line has dropped so far behind the curve in terms of update's, telemetry, features, third party integration and price that the only way this radio(if it actually is released) has a chance to sell in any numbers is to compete in all the aforementioned criteria and at least meet or beat the price of the competition. Something I doubt Futaba will do. Their consumer grade RC division is a small sliver of their bottom line that it seems they could take it or leave it.
Marty, sounds like you are going to go to Jeti?!?!

Bob
Old 04-02-2019, 06:36 AM
Carsten Groen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Auburn02 View Post
Can you go into a bit more detail on this? While I am well aware the telemetry options are more limited, every sensor I have used with Futaba has worked well, with quirks like air pressure having to be registered as a temperature sensor. But what is it about their "protocol" that is lagging?
Well, for a start, all Fuataba telemetry values are just "anonymous" values, there is no type/priority (etc) assigned to these data. You have to tell the TX what is coming in on a specific slot. You are limited to the 31 slots (16 bit values), you have no possibility for text messages (think turbine status etc etc). The sensors are fixed on the transmitter, if a specific sensor type is not something Futaba has thought about, you are basically lost. What if I would like to display the amount of fuel left iin my tank in mL/OZ, in % etc ? I can't do that as there are no "tank" sensor type. So I can show it as a "temperature", not very nice.....
I could go on and on (oh, why are there no CRC check on the SBUS(2) data ? Only a parity bit (which is of not much use), and why are the electrical levels inverted on the bus as compared to 100% of other protocols in the world ?)
I could go on and on....
But maybe they changed it on the 32MZ....or not, time will tell
Old 04-02-2019, 06:41 AM
Afterburners

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by rhklenke View Post
Marty, sounds like you are going to go to Jeti?!?!

Bob
Maybe when I hear some positive stories on how service issues are handled, I'll change my mind on them.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:44 AM
Afterburners

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, for a start, all Fuataba telemetry values are just "anonymous" values, there is no type/priority (etc) assigned to these data. You have to tell the TX what is coming in on a specific slot. You are limited to the 31 slots (16 bit values), you have no possibility for text messages (think turbine status etc etc). The sensors are fixed on the transmitter, if a specific sensor type is not something Futaba has thought about, you are basically lost. What if I would like to display the amount of fuel left iin my tank in mL/OZ, in % etc ? I can't do that as there are no "tank" sensor type. So I can show it as a "temperature", not very nice.....
I could go on and on (oh, why are there no CRC check on the SBUS(2) data ? Only a parity bit (which is of not much use), and why are the electrical levels inverted on the bus as compared to 100% of other protocols in the world ?)
I could go on and on....
A picture is worth a 1000 words :-)
Old 04-02-2019, 06:45 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I could go on and on....
So frustrating. I want fuel level? It gives me a temp. Oh yeah, in order to get a fuel percentage as a temp it must be in Celsius. Can't change just that port. Must set the entire transmitter to Metric. Now my altitudes and speeds are metric too.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:32 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is the best standalone telemetry I’ve used before switching to jeti from Futaba

www.iisi-rc.com

Last edited by Bob_B; 04-02-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:33 AM
FenderBean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

32 channels will be perfect since I have ran out of channels a couple times and was only able to complete the setup by doing SBus and putting multiple servos on one channel.
I hope they make values indicate properly, having my psi read as temp isnít a show stopper but would be nice to show PSI. I love Futaba and SBus not much I canít do with my 18mz, I know telemetry is behind but for me personally what I currently use is all I need, but yes fuel telemetry on my jets would be nice.

Last edited by FenderBean; 04-02-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:54 AM
Afterburners

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by FenderBean View Post
32 channels will be perfect since I have ran out of channels a couple times and was only able to complete the setup by doing SBus and putting multiple servos on one channel.
I hope they make values indicate properly, having my psi read as temp isnít a show stopper but would be nice to show PSI. I love Futaba and SBus not much I canít do with my 18mz, I know telemetry is behind but for me personally what I currently use is all I need, but yes fuel telemetry on my jets would be nice.
Problem is they are still selling the 18 for $3000. Where do you think they will price a 32 channel radio? Graupner's new 32 is $1000. Jeti's 24 is $2200. PB Core 26 is $2900 if you convert the euro as it's not here yet. I just don't see Futaba starting with a blank slate and opening this radio up for third party integration and flexibility when releasing software updates as well as adding features people have wanted since the 18 was released. I hope they prove me wrong. More competition is good.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:06 AM
FenderBean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Talked to a friend, it’s legit and should be cheaper but probably not here in the US, I bought 18MZ for 1800$ there will be deals to be had I’m sure.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:19 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Afterburners View Post
Problem is they are still selling the 18 for $3000. Where do you think they will price a 32 channel radio? Graupner's new 32 is $1000. Jeti's 24 is $2200. PB Core 26 is $2900 if you convert the euro as it's not here yet. I just don't see Futaba starting with a blank slate and opening this radio up for third party integration and flexibility when releasing software updates as well as adding features people have wanted since the 18 was released. I hope they prove me wrong. More competition is good.
So when are you switching?
Old 04-02-2019, 08:29 AM
Auburn02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Regarding third party integration, how was Powerbox able to do so and others are not?
Old 04-02-2019, 08:38 AM
Carsten Groen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Regarding third party integration, how was Powerbox able to do so and others are not?
PowerBox (and Jeti) are open (under NDA), they both have excellent protocol descriptions and are actually listening "to us" and are actively engaged with us as 3rd party developers
Futaba on the other hand, not so much (as in zero)
Old 04-02-2019, 09:17 AM
Afterburners

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Bob_B View Post
So when are you switching?
When my 18 starts giving me issues. Then I will switch brands unless the new 32 has everything the 18 is lacking.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:41 AM
jason

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looking at the switch gear I'm not convinced the 32 is actually an upgrade on the 18MZ WC.

Jason
Old 04-02-2019, 09:44 AM
Auburn02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

PowerBox (and Jeti) are open (under NDA), they both have excellent protocol descriptions and are actually listening "to us" and are actively engaged with us as 3rd party developers
Futaba on the other hand, not so much (as in zero)
I didn't mean PowerBox radios (CORE), I meant PowerBox sensors on Futaba radio. Alluding to Afterburner's picture above, Powerbox has things such as lost frames, holds, battery capacity, etc that are not displayed in degrees Celsius; I'm just trying to understand why or how they were able to implement such things on Futaba.

Originally Posted by jason View Post
Looking at the switch gear I'm not convinced the 32 is actually an upgrade on the 18MZ WC.
What?

Last edited by Auburn02; 04-02-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:21 PM
andy boy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Being a futaba fanboy, all I want to know is, how much and hard Futaba will be shafting me @ checkout? 😒 anyone's guess?
Old 04-02-2019, 03:44 PM
Afterburners

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by andy boy View Post
Being a futaba fanboy, all I want to know is, how much and hard Futaba will be shafting me @ checkout? 😒 anyone's guess?
Well if Jason is right about it being an upgrade to the 18MZ WC which makes sense and Futaba continues with their pricing scheme, I predict it will be $3999.00 but you'll get two receivers with it and maybe a t-shirt or baseball cap so it's not too bad :-).
Old 04-02-2019, 03:53 PM
FenderBean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im digging the design, one screen for telemetry and one for programming

Old 04-02-2019, 08:44 PM
Carsten Groen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I didn't mean PowerBox radios (CORE), I meant PowerBox sensors on Futaba radio. Alluding to Afterburner's picture above, Powerbox has things such as lost frames, holds, battery capacity, etc that are not displayed in degrees Celsius; I'm just trying to understand why or how they were able to implement such things on Futaba.

What?
Ah, sorry
In order to show the powerbox sensors, they have to get Futaba to implement that specific sensor, which powerbox suceeded in (as well as Jetcat did). But the problem is that this is extremely un-flexible, each and every sensortype needs to be done by Futaba. This means that the arrival of new sensors, updates to existing etc is painfully slow, and 3rd party developers are in the hands of Futaba. And for most part, it is impossible to "get through" to Futaba. In the world of fast evolving telemetry, it does not work very efficiently this way.
Again, this is because of the stupid choices Futaba did originally with the protocol and telemetry implementation.
I hope it changes !

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service