Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Which Batteries you prefer for your jets

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Which Batteries you prefer for your jets

Old 04-08-2019, 04:17 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Kingtech Life for thé ECU and Jeti or Fromeco for RX
Old 04-08-2019, 05:19 AM
sewbusy

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I have only been flying jets for 9 months. My experience in those short months goes back further to 27 years of flying Scale Aerobatics. What I learned previously, followed me forward into jets.

On the turbine side of things, I asked a lot of questions prior to settling on what I'm using now. My initial plan was to use a PowerBox LiIon 12v battery and then a regulator. However, it was highly suggested that I would experience issues with the ECU & turbine, if I went that route. I settled on using the KingTech 3800Mah LiFe 9.9v for the ECU/Turbine.

For the servos/controls, I have been using the PowerBox LiPo 4000Mah through a PowerBox Mercury and they are regulated (using the PowerBox) to 7.4v output. I've had 55 flights and have never experienced low voltage (either with the ECU or the PowerBox) during flight. The most flights I have ever done in one day was 6. Usually It is between 2-4 on any flying day.

This year, I have some new PowerBox Li-Ion 5000Mah which I would like to try out in my new jet (Leonardo again).
Wayne
Old 04-08-2019, 07:36 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Valley View Rc.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:50 PM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just confused a bit with these replies, A123 are LifePO4 or phospahate and are in metal tubes for allowing for venting while Life? are foil bag for weight and frowned upon charging in airplanes. The voltage of the two LIFE ?? chemistry thrown around is actually slightly different and better chargers have dedicated charge profiles while some cheaper chargers charging them with a universal profile. It is my belief a metal tube or a foil bag are two differing voltages and chemistries.

I could be all wet in my thinking so please define with links would be appreciated........
Old 04-08-2019, 05:51 PM
CARS II

Both are the same LIFE batts, A123 is the company that makes the ones in a metal cylinder which are called the original A123 LIFE batts, they are slightly better that the flat packs, both dry, no gel in them like LIPOs, some times you are in the need of a flat pack because the round ones will not fit in your jet like in my Reaction 54 nose.

It is up to you to charge the batts in your airplane or out side, I do out side because thats what I do, and I mount my batts in a way that they can be removed at any time, your choice here, they are not LIPOs.

We use both, most jet guys use the ones made by the A123 company ( cylindrical ones ) we use something like 30c discharge in case there is a high voltage demand at any given time, we also use two batts for the radio with two switches as a redundancy in case one pack or switch fails, ultra rare in jets, happens more often in gassers because of the vibration they produce.

All in all, always keep an Eagle eye on your batts when charging, every time, that should keep you out of trouble from a bad batt pack, I have removed one or two packs from service in the last two years because one cell from a two pack batt was taking way too long to come up in voltage, always know what your batts are using per flight, I use the same charger for both and my charger is not a fancy one, it's your regular 4 bottom one.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by CARS II; 04-09-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:27 AM
E.N.T.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Carlos: give the website to order these batteries.
Thanks;
hmarmaizmd717
Old 04-09-2019, 05:34 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by E.N.T.
Carlos: give the website to order these batteries.
Thanks;
hmarmaizmd717
LiFe Batteries - Batteries - Power | Value Hobby
Old 04-09-2019, 06:52 AM
E.N.T.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks;
hmarmaizmd717
Old 04-09-2019, 07:29 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Wow, LiFe’s are popular. I am using LiPos and I get new ones every 2-3 years.

Although I abuse my LiPo’s, I am intrigued by the fact that LiFe’s can take even more abuse.

I like that I can check how much charge I have in my LiPo’s. LiFe’s have to be charged every few flights as there is no way to check their charge.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:42 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill

Although I abuse my LiPo’s, I am intrigued by the fact that LiFe’s can take even more abuse.

I like that I can check how much charge I have in my LiPo’s. LiFe’s have to be charged every few flights as there is no way to check their charge.
I only use Life on the turbine ECU because that’s what Kingtech recommends and sells. I don’t like life in the RX packs because like you mentioned you can’t really check them to see how much charge is left. I also don’t like them for RX because they are not HV and I only use HV servos. I’m using LiIon on my jet because the packs need to stay in the plane due to where they are mounted. I use LiPo on my 3D planes but they are easy to remove for storage and charging. Looking at telemetry, nothing supports the load better than Lipo on my 3D planes.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:50 AM
flyloose

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have a way of measuring mAh's used then LIFE or A123's aren't an issue either. I fly jeti and get mAh's used via telemetry, set with an alarm in case I miss it. Works really well especially on electric prop setups as I never over discharge a pack...Having said that my jets are equipped with either Lipos or Jeti Lions....
Old 04-09-2019, 11:34 AM
CARS II

I'm not sure about JetCat but Kingtech ECUs has a way to see how many mah have been use (total) from the first time of use after the batt has been fully charge, the next time the batt is charge before the first flight the meter can be reset to start counting from zero, I thing I will be using that to double check my findings when recharging the ECU batt.

Last edited by CARS II; 04-09-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:40 PM
c/f

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ED-Nano (A123) Batteries
Old 04-09-2019, 07:30 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a Jeti.... you know exactly how many amps you have consumed ;-)