Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Need information on small turbine jets

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Need information on small turbine jets

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 04:38 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

It’s difficult enough for guys here in the US just to find a CD to get signed off for their waiver. Some travel up to a couple hundred miles just to find a CD for the waiver. An aircraft inspector adds new issues and new problems. We have one jet guy in our club that is even a rep pilot for HH, and he won’t sign a waiver application due to feared liability lawsuit and the company that he owns. The US mentality is too litigious. It is far too restrictive and too much of a pain in the butt. Large aircraft inspectors are even difficult to find, and there is only a couple here in the state of Florida. Having to go to a show to find a guy is another pain, cost of travel, over night costs, etc. And, the inspector is also signing off on some ARF that may have been made in some back shop in an Asian Country. FEJ comes to mind. Those rules are more to eliminate, rather than encourage members and jet pilots. These are not full scale. And some of the things mentioned, really should be caught by the guy asked to do the maiden. If a guy does his own maiden, then he faces the consequences for the results. As the AMA touts, the safety record here is good. It’s not the jet that is dangerous, it’s the pilot/operator. As the famous American saying, “guns don’t kill people, people kill people”.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 04-25-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:49 AM
RCFlyerDan

Here's the problem signing off on a ARF made by any Asian Country.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...s-su-35-a.html
Old 04-25-2019, 05:26 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rhklenke
Sometimes it better to let the "corner cases" be handled in a different way. Bob
Bob,
I think you've hit on a key point. Maybe the 12lbs requirement is too high a weight, and something less might be more up to date. But I feel much below 12lbs could be the "corner cases" that would be very hard to accommodate unless a minimum weight is dropped. The small foamy glider with a small turbine comes to mind. Even a large composite glider with a K120 might be a corner case for waiver flights, I'm not sure. Seems each CD is free to judge?

Seems at this point, maybe lower the minimum weight and leave all else as is. I would be glad to let a flyer borrow an appropriate jet to get his waiver, then he's on his own to fly whatever.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:05 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Smith
Bob,
I think you've hit on a key point. Maybe the 12lbs requirement is too high a weight, and something less might be more up to date. But I feel much below 12lbs could be the "corner cases" that would be very hard to accommodate unless a minimum weight is dropped. The small foamy glider with a small turbine comes to mind. Even a large composite glider with a K120 might be a corner case for waiver flights, I'm not sure. Seems each CD is free to judge?

Seems at this point, maybe lower the minimum weight and leave all else as is. I would be glad to let a flyer borrow an appropriate jet to get his waiver, then he's on his own to fly whatever.
I think that the below 12lbs USED to be a corner case. A $3000 P20 or Kolibri a few years ago was not an entry point for new jet flyers. I think the new smaller engines out and few more on the way make sub 12lbs no longer a corner case. My opinion is drop the weight all together.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:10 AM
RCFlyerDan

Please also remember that any rules made for the AMA, are also made for your Homeowners Insurance, since it is primary. This gives them more against you too not pay the claim.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:12 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Exactly. I have 2, a Harlock Viper and Sebart Avanti and there's probably 6 sub 12 pound dry (both mine are sub 12 or right at 12 WET) at our field on a Saturday. The Kingtech 30 and 45's are making it not only possible but fairly common. And as much as I hate to disagree with Frank, its ludicrous that I need a waiver to fly my 10 pound jet, but I can't use that jet to get the waiver. I had to borrow a 20 pound turbinator, to do my waiver flight and like I said on RCG, not everyone has such a buddy to loan a brother a jet.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:22 AM
speed is life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T
Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
It’s difficult enough for guys here in the US just to find a CD to get signed off for their waiver. Some travel up to a couple hundred miles just to find a CD for the waiver. An aircraft inspector adds new issues and new problems. We have one jet guy in our club that is even a rep pilot for HH, and he won’t sign a waiver application due to feared liability lawsuit and the company that he owns. The US mentality is too legtigious. It is far too restrictive and too much of a pain in the butt. Large aircraft inspectors are even difficult to find, and there is only a couple here in the state of Florida. Having to go to a show to find a guy is another pain, cost of travel, over night costs, etc. And, the inspector is also signing off on some ARF that may have been made in some back shop in an Asian Country. FEJ comes to mind. Those rules are more to eliminate, rather than encourage members and jet pilots. These are not full scale. And some of the things mentioned, really should be caught by the guy asked to do the maiden. If a guy does his own maiden, then he faces the consequences for the results. As the AMA touts, the safety record here is good. It’s not the jet that is dangerous, it’s the pilot/operator. As the famous American saying, “guns don’t kill people, people kill people”.

+1
The record speaks for itself that the AMA system here in the USA DOES NOT need to be vastly more complicated, bureaucratic, or regimented.
Proposed inspection regimens for certification & 3 year “D” checks (only for turbine models?), requirement for flaps/retracts/brakes, and other such bloviating nonsense appeal to the type of guys that are either control freak wannabe law enforcement or are totally OCD. Seems that most of those guys also don’t even fly turbines? 3 contributors to this thread come immediately to mind.

And what of the non-AMA guys out in a pasture or private airstrip somewhere that are willing to operate under Part 107 and don’t expect to attend an “AMA Sanctioned” event?
Are they inherently unsafe because they don’t have somebody sign off that they can operate a turbine without crashing? I doubt the loss statistics bear that out.

- Mike

Last edited by speed is life; 04-25-2019 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:36 AM
tony5548

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Enjoy relaxing⋯

Old 04-25-2019, 06:38 AM
tony5548

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy fiy.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:44 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
It’s difficult enough for guys here in the US just to find a CD to get signed off for their waiver. Some travel up to a couple hundred miles just to find a CD for the waiver. An aircraft inspector adds new issues and new problems. We have one jet guy in our club that is even a rep pilot for HH, and he won’t sign a waiver application due to feared liability lawsuit and the company that he owns. The US mentality is too legtigious. It is far too restrictive and too much of a pain in the butt. Large aircraft inspectors are even difficult to find, and there is only a couple here in the state of Florida. Having to go to a show to find a guy is another pain, cost of travel, over night costs, etc. And, the inspector is also signing off on some ARF that may have been made in some back shop in an Asian Country. FEJ comes to mind. Those rules are more to eliminate, rather than encourage members and jet pilots. These are not full scale. And some of the things mentioned, really should be caught by the guy asked to do the maiden. If a guy does his own maiden, then he faces the consequences for the results. As the AMA touts, the safety record here is good. It’s not the jet that is dangerous, it’s the pilot/operator. As the famous American saying, “guns don’t kill people, people kill people”.
What you're talking about here and in subsequent posts is spot on. This is substantially more about safety program management and operational risk management via policy and much less about details of operating a turbine sUAS. Thus it may actually be the formally trained aviation safety program management guy, with DECADES of operational risk management experience, that may lend much more to the discussion than a EE waiver holder. As I've said from the beginning, this is about POLICY and less about stick and programming skills.

What you talk about above is a challenge. The easy answer is for AMA to indemnify their CDs, waiver signers, inspectors, and perhaps others. Some may already be indemnified, but others may not. Extend that legal protection to the rest. That largely mitigates liminates the concerns of the HH guy example. I agree that the "corner example" metaphor doesn't work here. What's applicable in engineering is of limited use in the vastly different world of policy making and impelmentation ... as the latter has to work for ALL cases, whether or not they're a "corner."

So it's an issue of perceived risk that bigger is more risky, If that's correct, then write policy to support that premise. If it's wrong, then stop worrying about weight and write policy accordingly. It appears to me there's some big disconnects in existing policy, most notably that one needs a waiver to fly something 12lb or smaller, but cannot use it to get the waiver itself. It goes back to the question in the first sentence of this paragraph, if weight is an issue, then it all but drives a need for a weight based system of waiver categories. The logistical challenges above are real, and they directly impact execution of the AVIATION SAFETY POLICY regardless of what it is. HOW to execute that is a separate question, more based on what level of tolerance of the insurer (operational risk management). If they want tighter control, you're looking at more formality and more challenging logisitics. If insurer is willing to tolerate more risk, you can go with a less formal program. But this is about WRITING POLICY to match RISK TOLERANCE of INSURER and the ORGANIZATION based on a set of OPERATIONAL RISK MANAGEMENT and AVIATON SAFETY PROGAM MANAGEMENT principles.

So by way of example, let's assume for a moment weight does matter and the inurer is willing to tolerate more risk than currently. That lends itself to weight categories but with less formal (easier logistics) implementation. So why not pick two, three or four weight category cutoffs? I really don't care how many, that's for the "waiver holder" experts to decide. So let's say you pick three broad categories 15lb and less, 15lb to 55lb, and above 55lb. Initial waiver can be obtained using any category and has to be done by a turbine powered CD. Not a big change from what's done already. A waiver in a weight class permits you to fly anything in that class or below w/o requalification. If someone wants to "move up" in waiver category, those can be signed by anyone with a valid waiver in that category. Much easier logistically. Thinking is that guy already knows how to operate a turbine, program cutoffs, etc., and mostly needs to just demonstrate he can reliably and safety fly something bigger. If you don't want to allow ANYONE w/ existing waiver to sign off on what I'm going to call an "upgrade," then create a class of individuals indemnified by AMA to do these signoffs. Ideas include ANY CD, or Turbine Event Managers or ANY CD, etc. Again, WHO is empowered to do this is based on risk tolerance of AMA and their insurer. One can easily build AVIATION SAFETY PROGRAM MANAGMENT / OPERATIONAL RISK MANAGEMENT POLICY that either moves this up or down in formality based on risk tolerance. Things like inspections etc. that might someday come to be (or not). Again, mileage may vary. But within the POLICY, not conceptually difficult to do.

So God forbid this non-waiver holder might actually know something about this. But again, some are so blinded by their belief that only waiver holders know anything, it will probably fall on deaf ears.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:27 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Anyone who wants to see the requirements for an AMA turbine waiver flight can actually read the document - 510-d, available here:

510-d.pdf

The only question that the JPO was asked their opinion on was the 12 lb weight requirement for the waiver flight, contained in the AMA Gas Turbine Program document, 510-a

Anyone desiring to champion additional changes to either document is free to volunteer their time and opinions to the people who actually write them - the AMA Safety Committee and the people who actually approve them, the AMA EC.

It seems as if, based on inputs from modelers who have small turbine jets, that the 12 lb limit is not as valid as it used to be, due to the proliferation of sub-60N turbines. However, there does need to be some requirements on the aircraft for the waiver flight in order to comply with the requirements in 510-d for that flight.

The comments on liability are spot on. That is why the attestation on the waiver form states: "I hereby attest that __________________________ has successfully performed the turbine qualification flight outlined on page two of this document." The person signing is only attesting that they have witnessed a successful waiver flight - nothing further. Again, as mentioned above, even that is more than some guys are willing to do.

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 04-25-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:39 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for working on this Bob.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:43 AM
rhklenke

Originally Posted by why_fly_high
No problem at all - its what I volunteered for!

Bob
Old 04-25-2019, 08:13 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

What he said!
Old 04-25-2019, 08:38 AM
franklin_m

...and the people who actually approve them, the AMA EC.
Ironic, considering countless times above this same individual talks about how being a "waiver holder" is a requirement to comment etc. Yet the MAJORITY the group that actually approves the policy are NOT waiver holders.

Just another example of the rediculousness of JPO and others throwing the "are you a waiver holder" epethet.

Again, as mentioned above, even that is more than some guys are willing to do.
Perhaps because these folks see that this program is based in arbitrary distinctions not supported by hard data or PHYSICS, AERODYNAMICS, or SCIENCE.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:43 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tony5548
great flight and great save in the landing!
Old 04-25-2019, 12:30 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

It's easy to think Bob is the bad guy here but in reality he's walking the fine line between those
people with rubber band powered models who think they know best when making up the rules
and the dangerous cowboys who will be a threat to life & limb whatever they fly but especially turbines.

I guess that's why he gets paid the big dollars!

Thanks Bob.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:57 PM
rhklenke

Originally Posted by Boomerang1
It's easy to think Bob is the bad guy here but in reality he's walking the fine line between those
people with rubber band powered models who think they know best when making up the rules
and the dangerous cowboys who will be a threat to life & limb whatever they fly but especially turbines.

Thanks Bob.
Sounds like you know something about being in a similar position!

Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-25-2019, 12:57 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Boomerang1
It's easy to think Bob is the bad guy here but in reality he's walking the fine line between those people with rubber band powered models who think they know best when making up the rules and the dangerous cowboys who will be a threat to life & limb whatever they fly but especially turbines.

Thanks Bob.
Hey... I enjoy rubber powered planes! And control line too!

In all seriousness, when I was still on active duty, first in the developmental test world and again when stationed at a remote site where they did operational testing, I got to fly a handful of different turbine drones, at that time most were not in production. I concur that the bigger and HEAVIER they are, the EASIER they are to fly (assuming of course your wing loading is not rediculously high). If for no other reason than more momentum (physics), less affected by day to day winds (aerodynamics), and easier to see small attitude, angle of bank, yaw, even response to power changes when on approach. I guess that's why I get such a chuckle out of the whole "not a waiver holder" garbage.

Oh, and Bob. Offer stands to help write POLICY. But you gotta get past your bias that non-waiver holders OBVIOUSLY don't know anything.

Last edited by franklin_m; 04-25-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:56 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I feel like there is ROOM for improvement to the existing POLICIES without changing everything to the EXTREME. I.e, as said, drop the 12 lb requirement for WAIVER flights.

Did I do that right?
Old 04-26-2019, 04:39 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

franklin m,
Why not go and get an AMA turbine waiver?
Old 04-26-2019, 05:03 AM
franklin_m

franklin m,
Why? Not a whole lot of suitable fields close by, and for me to spend several thousand dollars on something there's got to be a "return on investment" for my time. By that I mean logistics. Lots of time on the road for a suitable field, which means that's the one or two things I get done on a weekend. I don't eat live and breathe model aviation, so if it's too hard logistically, too hard administratively ... skip it. Secondly, as indicated above, I don't kiss the ring of the AMA and JPO. I see the policy and its impelmentation as pretty arbitrary - for example, need waiver to fly 12lb jet but can't use same jet to get the waiver you need to fly it. Add to that the need for all the observed flights (not a lot of mythical waiver holders in my area), a specially annointed CD (none nearby), etc. etc. Nope, I'm not spending hours and hours on the road to find the right folks to "bless" my flying. Too big a pain in the a**.

Thirdly, I flew some big turbine sUAS and I didn't find them all that challenging to warrant the admin and logistical pain in the fanny. Fourth, I believe the FAA will impose some pretty significant altitude caps and I have very little faith in AMA's ability to get a carve out. Why? They failed to get waiver for registration. Failed to keep 336. And failed keep altitude limits out of most recent bill. Lastly, I've had the pleasure of an interaction with a member of the jet community "royalty" in this area, and the guy was a complete jerk. The epitome elitism. Really soured my perception of the entire community. Just about the time I start thinking it's an isolated case, Bob throws the "not a waiver holder" at the drop of a hat. All that did was reinforce that it's not an isolated case, more of a group culture thing ... a culture that comes from the top.

But I can fly an EDF at any speed recreationally, unlike turbines. Additionally, since I don't have Freudian need to say "I'm a waiver holder," why bother?
Old 04-26-2019, 05:08 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

franklin m,
Haven't ya figured it out yet???? All he likes to do is argue and put down your organization no mater what the discipline or topic. Simply click on his name and click on all posts by Franklin. I challenge you to find one positive post about anything AMA. Being an expert on everything he expects everyone to agree with “The world according to Franklin” LOL

If you completely ignore him and refuse to engage him in argument he will wander off and attempt to hijack another topic. How do you think he ended up here.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:04 AM
speed is life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But.......But......But........the AMA needs an EXPERT, with DECADES of experience at POLICY writing and RISK management. The need for months of SAFETY training and mandatory INSPECTIONS will be ENFORCED.
Waiver? ......I don’t need a steenkin’ WAIVER.....

There is usually a reason for remote tours......maybe AMA needs to step up to the plate and set him up an office in Thule, Greenland

Some people cry out for attention, even negative attention is still attention....

Last edited by speed is life; 04-26-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:38 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by speed is life
But.......But......But........the AMA needs an EXPERT, with DECADES of experience at POLICY writing and RISK management. The need for months of SAFETY training and mandatory INSPECTIONS will be ENFORCED.
Waiver? ......I don’t need a steenkin’ WAIVER.....

There is usually a reason for remote tours......maybe AMA needs to step up to the plate and set him up an office in Thule, Greenland

Some people cry out for attention, even negative attention is still attention....
It never ceases to amaze me that people cannot read the actual words within the context of a larger discussion. I guess it shouldn't surprise me given the current state of political discourse, someone clamps onto a single clause in a sentence and then expands that to an entire treatise. I don't need a recreational waiver because I already have a formal approval under 107. If you actually read the words, there's nothing in it about types of power plants. I can fly a turbine helo all day long w/o kisisng the AMA ring. I can even fly a turbine powered fixed wing w/o kissing the AMA ring, so long as I stay within the 107 altitude and speed limits. I can even ask the FAA for a waiver to those 107 limits if I really want to. No need to drive all over the region to find a special CD anointed to "bless" my flying. No need for a bunch of flights under "supervision" of other AMA Demi-Gods.

As to remote tours, you're funny. And clearly have no idea what you're talking about in this case.

So, big picture. FAA doesn't think I need a "waiver" to fly a turbine, but AMA does? And gee....which organization knows more about aviation? Uhm...that would be the FAA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.