RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

King Cat help

Old 04-18-2019, 03:38 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default King Cat help

Hey guys, I'm doing an do over on a KC that a friend of mine just acquired, he doesn't have time to go aver it to get her ready for the remaiden, I've done this before ( another KC ) but that was about a decade ago.

First thing I need help with is, how do I remove the graphics name that is on it right now without damaging the skin.

Thanks.

Last edited by CARS II; 04-18-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:10 PM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've just sent Callie graphics a request for a pilots name for the Cat and info on how to remove the old name, we will see
Old 04-18-2019, 04:20 PM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

On this rebuild I'm going to go over the entire airplane ( as I usually do ) and will be changing, swapping and adjusting as needed, a low time JC P120 SE is goin push this Cat, I will be adding a TamJets smoke system ( yah! we still have a few around including mine ) single sprayer, it looks like it has a single and dual jetronics brakes and retrac valves ( never had one of those ) and a few other things like new metal servo arms to replace the plastic ones it has right now, this Cat has to be solid when he pushes the pedal to the metal ( as he usually does )

Over all, something different for me to do in between my wood jets don't get me wrong, I've had my shear of building ( ahem, assemble ) composite jets

A QQ 18 Spektrum togather with a 20310 power safe with telemetey will be driving this baby, we even have a KC manual

I've used Spekteum before but, none of the newer radios like the 18, I will probably need some help with the programing.

Last edited by CARS II; 04-18-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:50 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That looks to be in good shape!

The things I remember are:

1. Get trailing link main gear or double up the main flex plates.

2. Crow as she likes to float.

Other than that, I can’t remember much else right now.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:00 PM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very good Raffy, yes, she will need about 1/2 of crow on the ailerons, just like my Boomerang, double wamie Raffy, when I did the one he had before I double the mains plates because one set is not enough.

Excellent, I still espect to see you at the WDA jet meet next Sat.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:07 PM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anyone have the control travel distances in inches?

I found this page posted by John Redman but it doesn't have all of them.

Last edited by CARS II; 04-18-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:25 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is what I found on RCU from John Redman when setting up my Kingcat. I used his settings, but increased the crow a little and my kingcat lands very well with these settings. I have been flying mine now for about 2 months and it flys and lands beautifully and as long as you don't slam it on the ground the singe flex plate should be fine.

Patrick
Old 04-18-2019, 07:31 PM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Patrick, I must have been looking at the same thread last night, now I need a meter with degrees.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:36 PM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I got almost all the parts out of the fuse, as I said above, will need to change a few things, overall, it's in good conditions but it needs some TLC, will be ordering a few things to put it back together, with all the work that is needed to get it back in the air, it will most likely take a month to complete.

Last edited by CARS II; 04-18-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:42 PM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jeremy

Do you remember if the try in your Cat was made out of G10? this one that came out is incredible heavy.

Last edited by CARS II; 04-19-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:09 PM
Dave Wilshere

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They were plywood trays originally. KC come out a bit nose heavy, so it does not need a G10 tray!
Old 04-19-2019, 06:55 AM
FlyUtah

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You ought to go through the air system. If the retracts leak, you can order new cylinders or try the o-ring lube. I second the suggestion to get the trail-in-link struts!
Old 04-19-2019, 07:39 AM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yah! the tray is so heavy I want to use it as a sinker we are going to use the tray from the broken Cat if it is in good conditions or I will make one out of 1/8 plywood.

Thank you for that piece of info David

On the broken Cat we installed two sets of flex plates, if they survive then I will use those to double the flex plates.

The suggestion to go over the airlines and retracts is good, I wasn't going to BUT, after looking at how the fuel lines came out, I decided to redo every system in it, I will service and test the retracts outside the airplane before they are back in, I use the rc car shock oil #25 weight to refresh the O rings in the retracts, the brakes also need service.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I think after she is back in the air I will deserve a ride or two

Last edited by CARS II; 04-19-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:55 AM
sirrom

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's funny you are doing this thread. I just told one of the guys I fly with that I would go through his kingcat that hasn't flown in awhile and put all new lines in and get it all cleaned up for him.

Patrick
Old 04-19-2019, 08:06 AM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very nice Patrick, yahh!! A double KinCat refurbish.

If you do please post your findings on this thread and pictures, it will be helpful to see a different set up.

Since you mention that his Cat hasn't flown for a while, check this out and tell me how long this Cat hasn't flown for ( picture ) mice dropping in the nose cone and also found some in the center of the fuse.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:45 AM
sirrom

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is kind of sad. Where did he have that thing stored? My friend keeps his in his house in a spare bedroom. I "hope" that it does not have mouse droppings. He has not flown his in about 6 years. Thinking about it..I have to tell him to get new batteries for his so I can balance it properly.

Patrick
Old 04-19-2019, 10:14 AM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What I know about this one is that it came out of a state sale, don't know exactly where it was but I think it came from somewhere in northwest, I presume it was stored in a garage for a long time not been flown then sold in a state sale sometime last year.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:48 PM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All has been removed from the fuse and bagged, I found a spot on the nose bulkhead that will need just a bit of glue, other than that the fuse is in excellent shape, I also found a main and a nose flex plate that were stressed a bit but 100% usable.

Soon I will be getting new airlines, fuel lines and other goodies to start the assembling, in the meantime I will service the main gear parts ( retracts, struts and wheels )

If you look very closely to the rear bottom of the fuse you can make up the three BVM letters that are build into the mold

Last edited by CARS II; 04-19-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:19 AM
sirrom

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Kingcat

Originally Posted by CARS II View Post
Very nice Patrick, yahh!! A double KinCat refurbish.

If you do please post your findings on this thread and pictures, it will be helpful to see a different set up.

Since you mention that his Cat hasn't flown for a while, check this out and tell me how long this Cat hasn't flown for ( picture ) mice dropping in the nose cone and also found some in the center of the fuse.
I will post pics of it. I plan on getting the plane on May 11th to start...and trying to get it done in 5-6 days. Before I start I am going to make sure that my friend has all of his gear (new batteries, turbine, all the lines, receiver and spare radio I can use to set it up) prior to me starting so I am not waiting on anything. I know he wants to put an AMT pegasus on the back for push, but I have advised against that as it will require ALOT of nose weight. He has a K140 and a P120 that can go on the back..I am trying to talk him into one of those instead of the pegasus. Since I just recently did mine.....it should not be that much of a task.

Patrick
Old 04-20-2019, 07:23 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by sirrom View Post
I will post pics of it. I plan on getting the plane on May 11th to start...and trying to get it done in 5-6 days. Before I start I am going to make sure that my friend has all of his gear (new batteries, turbine, all the lines, receiver and spare radio I can use to set it up) prior to me starting so I am not waiting on anything. I know he wants to put an AMT pegasus on the back for push, but I have advised against that as it will require ALOT of nose weight. He has a K140 and a P120 that can go on the back..I am trying to talk him into one of those instead of the pegasus. Since I just recently did mine.....it should not be that much of a task.

Patrick
it wont take any extra nose weight with a pegasus. I put an AMT Olympus on mine and it didnt require any extra nose weight.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:40 AM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very good Pat, Jeremy has experience with that engine, I already have the batts for the radio ( 3000 mah LIFE 6.6v Spekturm X 2 ) the 3 cell A123 ECU batt will be coming from No bs Batts, I wander if can make a 5000mah one.

Last edited by CARS II; 04-20-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:49 AM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And in between the Cat refurbishment I'm also doing my Boomerang but, the work is not as extensive.

For those that may ask, that is a TJT3000 turbine, build with artes parts in Australia, about 16 years ago, 27 lbs of thrust, weights a ton, very strong design, managed by a Xicoy AU 303 FEDEC.

Last edited by CARS II; 04-20-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:07 PM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well folks, I couldn't start my 2019 builds without the usual BBQ at home, couple with Canadian Wiskey this time, the first one of hopefully many for this year flying season, warm weather, rc jets, BBQs and most important of all in this hobby, friends

Last edited by CARS II; 04-20-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:27 AM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm done with my Boomerang XL service, all checks good and engine is starting and running like a champ, range check and test flight tomorrow Friday afternoon.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:28 PM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got most of the broken Cat, took all out, I saw a small piece of the radio tray, it was made out of 1/4" plywood, I suppose I will make a new tray for this one.
The only parts the survived are the right wing with some damage and the HS intact, nothing more.

I also have a T1 left wing, took the electronics out of it.

Any interest on the KC stab and wing or the T1 wing, let me know.

Tks.

Last edited by CARS II; 05-10-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service