Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti, what's the truth?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti, what's the truth?

Old 04-30-2019, 04:52 AM
rcflyguy_26
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeti, what's the truth?

I'm acquiring a Havoc set up with a Jeti radio. I've read most the stuff on line. But, I want to try to filter ot the negative.

What should I look out for?

My DX20 in my T3 has been rock solid. Part of me wants to put in a spektrum system, the other wants to give Jeti a chance.

please, no bashing. I can read all that in other threads.

Scott
Old 04-30-2019, 05:15 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, I don't fly Jeti.... I do have friends that do and they seem to like it a whole lot. That being said, they and others feel that the bashing and such of other brands from the Jeti owners and rep's have given the Jeti brand a tough row to hoe... Just by you starting this thread and asking what you are asking is proof of what I am saying... It's ashamed that a quality product can be given such a hard road to travel by the people that are trying to market the Jeti product and promote another option for the serious modeler. I have no dog in this fight, my status is JAFO... ( Just another F#@%*$G observer ). But, I think that JETI is a great product from what I have seen and heard. It just seems there is a whole lot of self inflicted friction surrounding this product. You can't make yourself look better by saying bad things about someone else...

D
Old 04-30-2019, 05:24 AM
rcflyguy_26

Yup, I want to look through the BS, if that's even possible.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:31 AM
Digital Pilot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scott, I have been using both systems for years now. They both do what they are supposed to do and i have not lost any jets on ether system. That being said there is a huge programmable difference between the two. Jeti is open to just about any programing capability and does not require you to use the designated channel assignments like Spektrum. Jeti also has more telemetry features built in and external capabilities. Of course that brings a whole new world of programming that will be a learning curve. The Spektrum is a solid unit as well, The programming as you know is strait forward and simple, Thus making it such a popular radio in my opinion. Ive seen some very advanced programming being done with the Spektrum DX18 and 20 but the factory selected channel assignments give some troubles sometimes as you cannot re-assign the primary's. The telemetry is pretty nice as well and there S3000 gyro is simple and works great. The current Spektrum selection is limited on channels as the Jeti is a 24 capable and the largest Spektrum available now is the IX12, witch i really like and using by the way but limited on channels as i stated. I hear rumors that a larger IX radio might be available in the near future. My personal opinion is if you already have a DX20 it will do the job nicely and if your looking for more advancements you should check out the Smooth Flight RRS system by Advanced Radio. If your chewing on the Jeti idea its a very nice system with a ton of features. I guess it depends on what your needs are but both systems will do what you need.

My 2 cents

Last edited by Digital Pilot; 04-30-2019 at 05:36 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:43 AM
rcflyguy_26

I'm installing a AR Smooth flight in my T3. Sofar, it looks like a nice unit. I haven't even plugged it in yet... lol

The Jeti System is already in the Havoc, so I will be doing some testing and range checks before I make my final decision.

Jeti question... will a program in the 16 transfer to the 24 without issues?

Scott
Old 04-30-2019, 05:44 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Scot. I am just a plain old modeler (emphasis on old). I flew JR for years then switched to Spektrum. I bought a DX18 Stealth. It didnt work out of the box. Sent it in for repairs. When I got it back switches started falling out. I fixed them. I then got a recall notice to not fly it unless it has a sticker in the battery box....it didnt. It did pass the required range check. I bought a 20 ch.Rx that never was opened before it was recalled. The DX 20 has had issues and now has been discontinued. I did a lot of research on RCU and found lots of guys were having quality issues with Spektrum radio equipment. The common comment was it worked great till it quit. I lost confidence in Spectrum to fly a 200mph 40# missile. The cost of my investment was too great and the liability was off the scale.

I changed to Jeti. Glad I did. I now fly a DS16 with 16 FULL channels, great telemetry, unbelievable programming flexability and outstanding customer support from both Aeropanda and Esprit. Oh yeah....never a single issue with equipment quality, signal, telemetry or anything. My bottom line is that I fly stuff that works for ME.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:46 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Switched to Jeti last year and love it.

Key points as have already been mentioned..

Everything Jeti that I have bought has been really high quality. Very nice stuff at a premium price. I don’t mind paying if what I’m getting is high quality.

IMO Jeti has been given a bad name due to ZB, people don’t like him so they talk bad about Jeti even though most of them have never used it.

Capability wise the DX20 can’t touch Jeti, I’ve used both and Jeti is only limited by your imagination.

There is a learning curve with Jeti, they do things different, as long as you accept that going in and take it on as something new to learn I think you will like it. If you don’t enjoy messing with the radio and just want plug and play then you might stick with the DX20.

If it’s already installed and flown with the Jeti you should at least give it a try. I’m seeing more Jeti radios in my area in the last year. Before I bought one I had never seen one in person.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:42 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Been flying Jeti for 3 or 4 years now. Used to fly Spectrum but came across a deal on the Jeti so I went for it. Either one will do the job and do it well. I have faith in both. That being said, no matter what brand I choose I always set up a sacrificial lamb (airplane I don't mind losing) and test the system until I am satisfied with the results. That usually last the first flight. Never had a problem with either (that I did not create) one so cannot help there.

I do give the guys at my field some Spektrum grief (most fly Spektrum) but that's all in fun. They return in kind
Old 04-30-2019, 07:47 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I end up doing lots of maidens for guys. I have done 3 now with Jeti radios and I didn’t like it. Feels very touchy and was a challenge to figure out how to do things. But I also don’t know anything about it and maidens always normally don’t feel good on the air.

Seems like a good system and the guys that have it seem to love it for the most part. Most of them like lots of info like the telemetry stuff and talking transmitter stuff. That stuff is not for me. I like it simple.

My old dx18 does just fine and love it lol.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:04 AM
camss69

Originally Posted by gunradd
I end up doing lots of maidens for guys. I have done 3 now with Jeti radios and I didn’t like it. Feels very touchy and was a challenge to figure out how to do things. But I also don’t know anything about it and maidens always normally don’t feel good on the air.

Seems like a good system and the guys that have it seem to love it for the most part. Most of them like lots of info like the telemetry stuff and talking transmitter stuff. That stuff is not for me. I like it simple.

My old dx18 does just fine and love it lol.
Did you use the same expo rates that you would have used for Spektrum? Jeti requires higher expo numbers to get the same feel.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:28 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

I have been flying Jeti for the last 4-5 years maybe longer. I switched to Jeti for the telemetry primarily. Now I don't know how I could ever go back to my previous system.
Jeti is easy to program, has total flexibility, the best telemetry that is easy to use, and the actually has a loud enough volume to hear the information on a busy loud flight line.
Is it different than the other systems and takes a bit to get use to? Yes, but once you grasp the basics you will fall in love. But you have to be willing to learn and spend time with the radio.

Last edited by Bob_B; 04-30-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:42 AM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Jeti

Originally Posted by rcflyguy_26
I'm acquiring a Havoc set up with a Jeti radio. I've read most the stuff on line. But, I want to try to filter ot the negative.

What should I look out for?

My DX20 in my T3 has been rock solid. Part of me wants to put in a spektrum system, the other wants to give Jeti a chance.

please, no bashing. I can read all that in other threads.

Scott
I will give you my take on what I think of Jeti. I am not a rep for any company so my opinion is just that "MY" opinion. I started in the hobby world flying Kraft radios and then moved to Futaba, and that is where I have been ever since. With the advent of telemetry and everyone saying how nice it is I wanted to see how I could use it in my models. So I have a T1 that has full telemetry through my 18mz which is nice. So everyone started raving about Jeti's telemetry setup and how great it was so, I purchases a DS-16 to test with. I have had the radio for approximately 6 months and have gone through all the settings that it has and it is truly a nice system. So as I was going through the Jeti, I started comparing the two radios side by side (literally). If I was trying to do something in the Jeti I tried it on my futaba..and almost all of it is there. The features that I like (emphasis on "I") about the Jeti that my 18 does not have are listed below:
1. Jeti does not need anything to pass telemetry from my powerbox to the receiver (futaba needs an interface device).
2. Jeti has the emulator built into the radio which will let me control my xicoy ECU direclty from the radio.
3. Jeti has a talking timer. (my 18mz does not have this feature, but newer Futaba radios do)
4. Jeti's telemetry is better than the 18mz.

Now with that being said, I only need a very few things in my telemetry when flying (turbine temp, turbine rpm, and speed) I get all of those through my 18mz.

There are several other features that the Jeti radio has that are interesting like the accelerometers and I am looking at how I can use them but are they necessary to my everyday enjoyment of the hobby? Absolutely not. So if you can find an inexpensive DS-16 like I did, buy it and try it out for yourself. If you like it sell your current system and convert, if you don't then sell it and move on.

Again, this is just my opinion based on my experience with the Jeti and my 18mz.

Patrick
Old 04-30-2019, 09:05 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Both work well, neither will help you fly any better.
The following 2 users liked this post by erbroens:
cbethenc (01-20-2024), FastDots (08-02-2020)
Old 04-30-2019, 09:23 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I like the idea of Jeti and its capabilities, I just hate the feel of the radio, trim locations, etc. Some of it I could probably get used to, but I have small hands and it's just not comfortable to hold in general.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:44 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by erbroens
Both work well, neither will help you fly any better.
I think that's the bottom line truth right there.

I grew up flying Futaba and switched to JR when 2.4 came out and then to Jeti last year, I really wanted to try the dedicated TX tray layout with the wide stick spacing.

RP
Old 04-30-2019, 09:47 AM
speed is life

The Jeti ergonomics are a personal thing; you either like it or find it just does not fit. The only way to know is to handle one or fly one.

I started out with ‘68 Kraft, then on to Proline. Took a break when my kids were young then Multiplex to Spektrum, over to 2.4mhz conversions, back to the Multiplex Royal EVO 9 & 12, then Jeti.

I got my DS16 for a Christmas present to myself in December 2013, got all my stuff switched to Jeti by the following Summer, and have never looked back. That’s 5 years and a few months now.

I have nothing but echoing the aforementioned positive attributes and comments about Jeti.
Only periodic software upgrades for added capability and that is it; no recalls, no failed parts, no loss of support, no orphans.

- Mike

Last edited by speed is life; 04-30-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:58 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by camss69
There is a learning curve with Jeti, they do things different, as long as you accept that going in and take it on as something new to learn I think you will like it.
Definitely a learning curve but lots of help on-line at Esprit with their "Jeti Shorts" videos. Nearly 80 topics covered from the basics to more advanced stuff. They have helped me many times.

I also like their robust line of receivers from 3 channel units up to the 24 channel Central Box, and almost always in stock. Lots of useful accessories as well.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:02 AM
Mick Hargreaves

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flew Futaba for 25 years and swapped to DS24 18 months ago. Very happy with the Jeti and won't be going back, may have looked at the Core but it was not available then. If you use the supplied neck strap (I realise they have gone out of fashion but I have always used them), it is actually quite comfortable to hold. If required, the max stick tension is greater than Futaba and the trims are actually very logical to use being grouped together. Add in the auto trim, voice functions, advanced telemetry and all the other features already listed and what's not to like.

Flown my large warbirds and jets hundreds of times without a single issue!
Old 04-30-2019, 10:18 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 732 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Auburn02
I like the idea of Jeti and its capabilities, I just hate the feel of the radio, trim locations, etc. Some of it I could probably get used to, but I have small hands and it's just not comfortable to hold in general.
Try a Core hand held. It fits great as they designed the Tx after checking lots of pilots hand positions. I actually have a Core customer who is swapping from Jeti....
Old 04-30-2019, 10:24 AM
Blancr

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Moved to Jeti from Spektrum and there's no doubt that Jeti is robust and pretty bullet proof. For me though, apart from the very basics, the more advanced stuff just seems to be too complicated. You have heard from others that 'there's lots of help in the forums'. There is and it's there for a reason. I have found Jeti just too complicated for me and so when PowerBox Core came along I was immediately interested. I use all PowerBox products and Jeti works well with them but it makes sense for me to look at Core because everything will eventually integrate seemlessly. I have had my Core Tx for a few weeks and I have to say that it is so intuitive to programme. Not all facilities are available yet but will be in a few weeks and months. There's enough available for me to set up two large aircraft with PB Mercury with very little trouble.

Jeti is good but, if like me, you're not keen on so much capability that you really have to be a complete expert to get the best out of it, then I would take a look at Core. At least you will be able to compare. Either will serve you well. For me, Core is easier to live with.
Bob
Old 04-30-2019, 10:43 AM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Core isn't available yet in the U.S.

As for Spectrum, which is what he was asking about... If you fly with one of the new Powersafe receivers, Telemetry for a Kingtech turbine won't work without a workaround. As I understand it in simple terms, it seems the power to the telemetry isn't powered up until after the Binding process occurs and then power is shifted over to servos and telemetry. That is an issue for me since I like to look at my turbine's parameters when starting up. Like I said, you can do a Y harness and add a back up battery and switch to the telemetry unit so it'll have power upon receiver turn on, but who wants to do a "work around" when it's not necessary. This only occurs with Kingtech with their new telemetry unit, not the G1 turbines and Xicoy ECU. I fly the DX 20 and like it a lot but I'm always on the look out for something new.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:09 AM
Mick Hargreaves

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere

Try a Core hand held. It fits great as they designed the Tx after checking lots of pilots hand positions. I actually have a Core customer who is swapping from Jeti....
Dave

A good reason to fill my hands with coffee and ice cream when visiting your stand in the summer...never could resist curves! They do look comfortable though, I always thought the 28X the best transmitter to hold of any.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:12 AM
camss69

Originally Posted by patrnflyr
Core isn't available yet in the U.S.

As for Spectrum, which is what he was asking about... If you fly with one of the new Powersafe receivers, Telemetry for a Kingtech turbine won't work without a workaround. As I understand it in simple terms, it seems the power to the telemetry isn't powered up until after the Binding process occurs and then power is shifted over to servos and telemetry. That is an issue for me since I like to look at my turbine's parameters when starting up. Like I said, you can do a Y harness and add a back up battery and switch to the telemetry unit so it'll have power upon receiver turn on, but who wants to do a "work around" when it's not necessary. This only occurs with Kingtech with their new telemetry unit, not the G1 turbines and Xicoy ECU. I fly the DX 20 and like it a lot but I'm always on the look out for something new.
Wasn’t he actually asking about Jeti? He has Spektrum and bought a plane that came with Jeti and was asking about it.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:48 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Auburn02
That is my primary concern with Jeti. Guy brought one out to the club field one day and let any of us who wanted to, fly a model he had also brought with the Jeti. It was way heavier than I expected, felt odd and I had a problem reaching switches without dragging a gimbal. I was looking for a replacement for my JR 12X but Jeti wasn't it. So I went to the DX18 which didn't feel all that good to me, but it was better than the Jeti. After flying that for about a year I was doing some Pattern work with a friend watching. I pulled out of a vertical downline and went across in front of us with the thing bobbing up and down. My friend asked; "what are you doing, trying to find a switch?"

That was it for the DX18, I bought an 18MZ, still a bit big but much better than the DX18 or Jeti. Flew that for about a year and a half and Futaba came out with the 18SZ, now that radio fits my hands really well. Feels a lot like my JR 12X and I really like it, but I've got a number of models on the Spektrum RF setup that JR had been using and I didn't want to spend all the money to change them over to Futaba, so I kept the 12X for those models. When Spektrum came out with the DX20, I saw one of the test radios at Joe Nall. Felt really good in my hands and when they started taking pre-orders I got on coming. Great radio, I actually like the leather grips as well.

So my vote is to stay with the DX20. Just for giggles it would, I think, be a decent idea to try the Jeti if you know someone with a tx, but I wouldn't buy a new tx just to take the radio system for a test drive.

Last edited by Zeeb; 04-30-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:08 PM
rcflyguy_26

Good info guys!
And thanks for playing nice!
To be clear, the Havoc has not flown yet. I did help him do some final setup with it so I've been through some of the basic areas of the manual.
I will actually be picking it up in a few weeks, which will drag on forever, then I'll start some testing.
What got me thinking about trying it, was a bunch of successful test flight I've been seeing on Facebook. Then I had to ask myself, "why was I against using it?" Turns out I didn't have a legitimate reason. So, here we are...
I will be checking out the videos also!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.