Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Can Wren 54s run on auto diesel?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Can Wren 54s run on auto diesel?

Old 05-02-2019, 10:39 AM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can Wren 54s run on auto diesel?

Hello All,

I have several Wren 54 turbines. Until recently, Kero was fairly priced but now it is getting expensive. So, I would like to use Diesel instead. Cheaper and much easier to buy than Kero. All of my Wren are propane start.

Does anyone have knowledge or experience with running these turbines on auto diesel? In Canada, we have very low sulfur content in auto diesel. And, it is more than half the cost of kero. Any info would be appreciated.

Dave
Old 05-02-2019, 04:11 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only info I have came from Jet Central, they warned me not to run diesel in an older propane start Super Eagle because the combustion chamber life would be shortened. They said the metal used in the older combustion chambers was different than the new ones. So, I guess it would depend on what metal your combustion chamber is made out of and if you care if it's lifespan is shortened.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:34 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I tried to run my manual start (propane) Wren 44 on diesel.

It started & ran fine, if a little fluffy on acceleration so I thought all was good & shut it down to top up the tank.

BUT. It seems it started on my usual Jet A mix left in the line but once the diesel was pumped through it turned into a flamefest.
I could not get it to re start on diesel. Nothing ventured. Back on (and happy on) Jet A.

After that experience I haven't tried my Supersport (propane) on diesel.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:41 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Originally Posted by dw_crash
Hello All,

I have several Wren 54 turbines. Until recently, Kero was fairly priced but now it is getting expensive. So, I would like to use Diesel instead. Cheaper and much easier to buy than Kero. All of my Wren are propane start.

Does anyone have knowledge or experience with running these turbines on auto diesel? In Canada, we have very low sulfur content in auto diesel. And, it is more than half the cost of kero. Any info would be appreciated.

Dave
My 54 runs fine on diesel at 5400 ft
Old 05-03-2019, 06:56 AM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks Guys. It is appreciated to hear your experience. George, good to hear your runs fine on Diesel.

dave