Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New turbine X 45 ,by Gaspar

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New turbine X 45 ,by Gaspar

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 05:24 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

On my transmitter I have a two positions locking switch for the throttle trim works great
Old 11-14-2019, 05:26 PM
Razmo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Alasdair,

I could be wrong (have to look into it) but I'm assuming I have the capability of inhibiting the throttle trim lever and mapping the throttle trim function to any switch of my liking instead..

Raz
Old 11-14-2019, 05:28 PM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

What transmitter?
Old 11-14-2019, 05:34 PM
Razmo
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by bob_b
what transmitter?
JR 12x
Old 11-15-2019, 06:24 AM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by alasdair
here's an answer from Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FADEC

Regarding Q9,
Personal preference.
I have used several ways. I started by using the trim, which takes a couple of seconds to run. KISS. Then changed to a 2 position switch which is instant, but was worried that knocking it by accident in flight would be an instant deadstick.
I recently found a better way. On my Taranis Tx which has voice, I use switch SG, a 3-position switch.
I leave the throttle trim full up. I set TWO positions of the switch to RUN and the third to STOP.
I use the two end positions for switching on and off the engine, and I set the voice to tell me "throttle active" or "throttle disabled" in each position. If I accidentally move the switch to the middle position I get the "throttle active" voice warning which prompts me to put it back to the RUN end position. I have to move it twice, deliberately, with a voice warning half way, to shut down the engine.
On a Tx with sound I can recommend this system.
Hi Alisdair,
I am always interested to see how other guys do things , so:

Can you tell me what advantage your method has over the tried and tested system of using the throttle trim to enable start and define idle.

As I see it has none of the disadvantages of your system in that it is incredibly simple, cannot be accidentally knocked off, depend on an aural warning which could be drowned out, and requires more actions and is the method recommended by all the engine manufacturers of which I have first hand experience.

My transmitters are 12x , 28 x, Bat 60 and Core, all using the throttle trim method.

Just curious !
Old 11-15-2019, 10:00 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am 90% sure I shut down my x45 with a throttle kill switch and it did not go into auto cool, maybe I was mistaken but something to check.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:51 PM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Hi Alisdair,
I am always interested to see how other guys do things , so:
Can you tell me what advantage your method has over the tried and tested system of using the throttle trim to enable start and define idle.
As I see it has none of the disadvantages of your system in that it is incredibly simple, cannot be accidentally knocked off, depend on an aural warning which could be drowned out, and requires more actions and is the method recommended by all the engine manufacturers of which I have first hand experience.
My transmitters are 12x , 28 x, Bat 60 and Core, all using the throttle trim method.
Just curious !
Hi David,
I haven't run my X45 yet but:-
Yes, the trim works just fine. I preferred a manual trim to the automatic one now universal.
The standard default is a 2-pos switch, which I tried, but worried about hitting it accidentally.
The clincher on Taranis was the voice warning, and with a centre safe position it had an element of 'fail-safe'.
The digital trim takes a couple of seconds to run. I still use it on some Tx (Spek DX7S) but prefer the Taranis setup. Try it, if your Tx has a voice!

Oh and for Ray, I'm sure my cutoff switch does bring on the cool-down cycle.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:36 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

"The digital trim takes a couple of seconds to run."

My DX18 has a "Trim Step" feature that allows the throttle trim to go all the way from off to run position in one or two steps. This eliminates the concerns stated above and is how I have all of my turbines set up.

Can't you do that with a Taranis?
Old 11-16-2019, 06:01 AM
David Gladwin

Originally Posted by alasdair
Hi David,
I haven't run my X45 yet but:-
Yes, the trim works just fine. I preferred a manual trim to the automatic one now universal.
The standard default is a 2-pos switch, which I tried, but worried about hitting it accidentally.
The clincher on Taranis was the voice warning, and with a centre safe position it had an element of 'fail-safe'.
The digital trim takes a couple of seconds to run. I still use it on some Tx (Spek DX7S) but prefer the Taranis setup. Try it, if your Tx has a voice!

Oh and for Ray, I'm sure my cutoff switch does bring on the cool-down cycle.
Hi Alasdair
I think I see it now, your trims are slow electronic, whereas mine are mechanical , 12x, or have one or two step electronic devices, 28x, Core and BAT 60, which makes the trim system so easy and reliable.

Anyway, whatever system you use, enjoy your X 45, it is a truly delightful engine which will amaze you with its amazingly easy operation and its exceptionally short start cycle. ! Its brilliant.

David.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 11-16-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:10 PM
RockiesGuy

Default HSD Vper converted ..

While I see some guys messing with the engine I went out to fly my EDF conversion..

HSD Viper, EDF, ==> V-1
Old 11-26-2019, 11:25 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I hope your edf viperjet lasts longer than mine, watch the amount of throttle you use.

Last edited by raydar; 11-26-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:40 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Found Vne eh?
Old 11-26-2019, 12:53 PM
David Gladwin

Default X 45

Originally Posted by raydar
Well I hope your edf viperjet lasts longer than mine, watch the amount of throttle you use.

I assume from this post you had airframe failure using EDF .

I would caution anyone using an X 45 in a foamie, indeed any airframe, NOT to underestimate this engine, tiny though it is.

Although it produces 10 pounds of static thrust I get the impression after flying it and seeing the very high speed achieved on Jason’s model, a Mini Wizard, that thrust decay with speed is relatively low suggesting, just suggesting, to me that it has a higher than average exhaust velocity.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 11-26-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:11 PM
RockiesGuy

I have been flying the "Viper" (but it is an Avanti ..awesome design by Sebastiano S.) .. fine tunning some issues...

As the pump goes through the break-in, it now moves my plane, while on idle...while it didn't do that for the last 5 weeks (no parameters were changed in the pump PW or idle RPM) ...

While I was trying to slow it down a bit I decided to try lowering the top thrust ... to 35N and ...it flew the big plane just fine ! I used to fly .60 pattern style back in the 70's ... this combo was a nice surprise about that !

The idea of lowering the top end thrust ( to 35N) was to also lower the idle thrust ,, but it seems not to work that way.... so now I have to apply brakes on idle, while for about 6 weeks I did not have to .... any ideas out there?
Old 12-22-2019, 10:53 PM
drfred58809

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RockiesGuy
The idea of lowering the top end thrust ( to 35N) was to also lower the idle thrust ,, but it seems not to work that way.... so now I have to apply brakes on idle, while for about 6 weeks I did not have to .... any ideas out there?
I guess that you misinterpreted the max thrust regulation - yes, you can indeed cut the top power (but you can even do that with the stick which makes more sense for me a you keep the extra in case needed) but the minimum idle is determined by the design of the turbine and ancillaries and the weather

i could imagine that the weather is the reason for your need of applying brakes - in case it gets colder your turbine can do much higher thrust due to increassd oxygen content in the air

if you check manufacturers data on thrust, you will find those which do it at lets say 20C and 1030 mbar and others like JetCat (if I remember well) will quote power at lower temperatures e.g 15C but nominal pressure

Don’t know your weather conditions but is the most obvious parameter which keeps changing over time - in summer it will be the other way round
Old 12-22-2019, 11:13 PM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been flying the "Viper" (but it is an Avanti ..awesome design by Sebastiano S.) .. fine tunning some issues...

As the pump goes through the break-in, it now moves my plane, while on idle...while it didn't do that for the last 5 weeks (no parameters were changed in the pump PW or idle RPM) ...

While I was trying to slow it down a bit I decided to try lowering the top thrust ... to 35N and ...it flew the big plane just fine ! I used to fly .60 pattern style back in the 70's ... this combo was a nice surprise about that !

Just check the idle RPM, if it is around 60.000rpm, then the engine is developping the mínimum thrust (0.4lb). If higher, check that the display say "run-idle" when you set the stick to idle. If not, ("running" displayed) then re-learn the radio. if the engine is running at 60K and still the model moves, then it just mean that these 0,4lb of residual thrust are in aft to move the plane. On the X45 the idle thrust is very low but not zero!

Gaspar

Old 12-25-2019, 09:05 AM
RockiesGuy

I have been checking the weather data for the month and as it shows, we have had double the humidity levels lately, as the winter sets in. Higher DA ("density air").

I got some other jets ( with Wren 44, M70, K60, K70, K85, Wren100, JC100 rabbit, K120, K170) that would not do that... but that is comparing apples to onions... my converted plane weights shy below 10# wet.... even idle thurst pushes the plane around when low on fuel...I thought I would never hear these words in the same sentence; my jet is too light ! V-1 HSD EDF viper.. made of EPP foam, way before they went into the totally heavier Q- EPO and the later the even denser -aerofoam-.

Old 12-25-2019, 09:38 AM
drfred58809

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn’t check your location tbh - Tucson humidity is probably still low even when you say that humidity level has doubled;-))

looked at temperatures of November vs December 2019 and they are significantly lower (my normal „good“ weather in case it’s not winter) but probably cold for you......the combustion should be way more effective below 20 Celsius imho

here in Europe people often refer to summer temps like your average oct/nov temperatures as hot and that turbines show less power
in total.

when flying nitro helis or driving motorcycle I also knew it from the very beginning how much oxygen is available for combustion......my little jets are overpowered like yours so probably won’t notice...but here summer was extremely hot for our case and there wasn’t much flying going on....

anyway, enjoy the Viper (I fly a Taft Viper) and the much better weather

happy holidays

markus

Last edited by drfred58809; 12-25-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:12 AM
David Gladwin

I have been checking the weather data for the month and as it shows, we have had double the humidity levels lately, as the winter sets in. Higher DA ("density air").
Not so, humid air is LESS dense than dry air.

What gives more thrust is colder air and higher air pressure !

Just had my X45 returned from Gaspar after its inspection after a severe mid air, the little gem appears to have survived intact and undamaged.

Great service from Gaspar, again!

Last edited by David Gladwin; 12-26-2019 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:34 PM
hybris
My Feedback: (1)

I just got my new X45 and setting it up on a test stand. My light version has two connectors where it says to connect the pump. Manual shows one. Not sure which to connect to. The other side for data an throttle is labeled with arrows. See picture.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:33 AM
David Gladwin

Top connector is pump. The original board had only one, Gaspar has just sent me the new version with 2 plugs, not sure what the lower one is for !
Old 12-29-2019, 01:34 AM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Both are the same, the second position is to connect other things, like the governor for the heli version.

Gaspar
Old 12-29-2019, 07:55 AM
hybris

Originally Posted by Gaspar
Both are the same, the second position is to connect other things, like the governor for the heli version.

Gaspar
Thanks Gaspar
Old 12-30-2019, 03:24 PM
hybris

Advanced setup and saved

Solid green and blinking red when everything connected

Nothing to the TX
Old 01-06-2020, 08:16 AM
hybris

I just noticed my question did not come through on my previous post.

I am having trouble with Spektrum Telemetry. My receiver recognizes there is telemetry attached and it appears to be set up on the ECU however I don't get any turbine data back to the transmitter. I did the advanced setup and saved the settings. One from the latest firmware on my transmitter (does have turbine instead of Jetcat) and not sure what version on the receiver. Any suggestions of what to try next?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.