Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ground power.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ground power.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 10:20 PM
Jannica

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Ground power.

Yesterday I went to the airfield to fly a jet that I hadnīt flown for some time. I wrongly assumed that the ECU battery would be god for one start up sequence without charging.
It wasnīt. Neither had I brought a charger. I had forgotten that this special engine requires a 100% fully charged battery for the start-up sequence and that the margins are very narrow.

Then the thought struck me. Why havenīt we the opportunity to utilize ground power for starting up our model turbines just like on the full scale things? Especially the larger turbines with kero start takes a lot of power in the start-up sequence. This is just a hint for the clever guys in the electronic aftermarket business. What if we had I device that in one end could be connected to the ECU power circuit and in the other end could be connected to 12 V. ground power thru a connecter on the outside of the fuselage.
Wouldnīt that be nice?

Jannica in Sweden
Old 06-30-2019, 12:09 AM
Mikey5547

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Or just take a spare battery maybe? Next you will be wanting fuel trucks and a push-back tug for your models
Old 06-30-2019, 04:28 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes, a dedicated ground start (assist) battery, connected in parallel with the flight battery should work.
As long as the cell count (voltage) matches, there is no issue with respect to the ECU, as it’s like going from 3s1p to 3s2p. You could use the same (spare) battery as installed in the aircraft or a larger capacity version dedicated to just ground starts.
A simple “Y” cable is all that should be needed.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:30 AM
kimhey

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

We both live in Scandinavia... I have a parallel battery connection for my ECU in some of my models. Summertime no use (but in your situation useful), in winter time, I just plug in a spare Lipo, to facilitate a successful start.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:31 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

When Kero plugs were introduced, some guys were using a spare batt to help the start up sequence using a Y, we now use bigger capacity batteries.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:05 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It seems that if you’re using a hopper tank on the wing to help prevent main fuel tank consumption during wait and taxi, using a spare battery to assist in startup to save capacity isnt such a big inconvenience
Old 06-30-2019, 12:14 PM
Mikey5547

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why wouldn’t you just swap the battery that you would use for the “GPU” battery and simply use it for ECU?
Or a similar issue if you forget you’re charger and your GPU and ECU battery is low... doesn’t solve anything. Yous are trying solve a problem that isn’t really a problem. Just take a extra battery or remember your charger next time you fly.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:03 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Charger box

I build this charging box, especially for my jets...to top up batteries, no external power required for a few days of flying.....it’s a small power supply to recharge the onboard 10,000mAh 6s battery small investment and I can charge anywhere....