Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bypass Question - Use Heatshield ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bypass Question - Use Heatshield ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 01:03 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bypass Question - Use Heatshield ?

Hello All, I’m using a carbon fiber bypass and am wondering if it is common practice to coat/paint the rear half of it with BVM Heatshield ? I’m using just the bottom half (to add some heat protection to the gear and other components .... and don’t need the extra thrust that a fully enclosed bypass might provide).

Thanks. Bob
Old 07-05-2019, 01:56 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a very good idea to use Heatshield as a method to prevent heat damage to bypass tube. The carbon fiber is not easily affected by the temperature, but the resin is.
Apply three coats to the inside aft end, top and bottom, allowing some time between coats. I usually coat the last 4 or 5 inches of the tube and cover.
Think of it as a safety measure for an expensive jet. My jet is worth far more to me than the expense and labor of applying the Heatshield.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:56 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I have used the product once before on one jet, but haven’t for at least the last six jets.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:57 PM
RC_MAN
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use it all the time, great product.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:57 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I only install with full bypass in all my jets since 1997. I have 9 at the moment and have never used heatshield on the pipes or bypasses. However, I have at times added heatshield to the inside of the fuselage in the tail section.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:17 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for the feedback. Since I have some Heatshield on hand, I will use it.

Bob
Old 07-05-2019, 05:10 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've used just the bottom half bypass on a couple of my jets. Since I was concerned about radiant heat from the tailcone after shutdown, I added aluminum tape to the rear several inches and that's worked out fine.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:52 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It definitely works. It's it 'necessary' ? Probably not in some cases, but like Harley said.. You're pending thousands of dollars on your airplane. What's a couple hours of your time to help improve things?
Old 07-07-2019, 11:52 PM
Ceeray

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Heatshield paint is very heavy. Consider also that when applying..
Old 07-08-2019, 11:02 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

You'll have to decide if you want to paint 4" of bypass with heatshield even if it means leaving an ounce of fuel on the ground to meet max takeoff weight limitations.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:02 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Auburn02
You'll have to decide if you want to paint 4" of bypass with heatshield even if it means leaving an ounce of fuel on the ground to meet max takeoff weight limitations.
Don’t forget second stage climb if twin engine!

I think that it was mandatory to use when hot starts were more prevalent in the days of scuba tank air starts, propane, and glow plugs. IMHO...I believe that kero start is a more consistent and a cooler start. If you’re using a full bypass, I use a air bed pump to help with the cool down after the flight. In flight, it isn’t an issue because of being surrounded with fast moving air for cooling. If you are hovering the jet, then it probably needs used somewhere. I also program the engine ECU to cool down to 80 C. This way there is less radiant heat.