Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Wing loading

Old 07-29-2019, 07:49 AM
thunderchief

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Wing loading

I am curious as to what the wing loading on the turbines that are now flying is? If you have any information please make a comment.
thanks
Old 07-29-2019, 07:57 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What type of jets are you looking for? Sport jets usually have a lighter wing loading. My sport jets are around 40oz/sq ft. That said, size matters. A small jet at 40 will feel heavier than a big jet at 40.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:59 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by thunderchief View Post
I am curious as to what the wing loading on the turbines that are now flying is? If you have any information please make a comment.
thanks
The data is not that easy to get as manufacturers don't often give wing area in their printed specifications.

I would suspect that the lighter sport jets are down in the 40 oz./sq. foot. range. On the other side, I have flown a NASA twin turbine-powered airliner model that was 56 lbs on a little over 800 sq. inches of wing area. That works to around 150+ oz./sq. foot. It flew OK, but the approach speed was 70 knots...

Why do you ask?

Bob
Old 07-29-2019, 08:18 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by why_fly_high View Post
What type of jets are you looking for? Sport jets usually have a lighter wing loading. My sport jets are around 40oz/sq ft. That said, size matters. A small jet at 40 will feel heavier than a big jet at 40.
Exactly! Bigger flys better. This is why I always include a figure called WCL or Wing Cube Loading in any of my reviews, it takes this into account so that a larger plane with identical wing loading as a smaller one, will have a lower cube loading.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:11 PM
erbroens

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is a excellent article on how to compare wing loadings on different sized models... I can said that it worked for me on all the models I analyzed in the last 20 years.

Its easy to put this in a excel spreadsheet and have a lot of fun.

3D Wing Loadings
Old 07-30-2019, 09:35 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just worked out what my DerJet 1/6 scale Hawker Hunter wing loading is.

Based on a full-scale Hunter wing area of 349ft^2, that gives me a model wing area of 9.69ft^2. My Hunter is ~43lb at take off with full fuel, so that gives a wing loading of 71 oz/ ft^2.

It flies like a dream - it is my go-to everyday flier. I prefer flying it over my Ultra Flash.

Just don't fly it like a foamy and expect it to do what you ask!

Paul
Old 07-30-2019, 10:39 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by JSF-TC View Post
I just worked out what my DerJet 1/6 scale Hawker Hunter wing loading is.

Based on a full-scale Hunter wing area of 349ft^2, that gives me a model wing area of 9.69ft^2. My Hunter is ~43lb at take off with full fuel, so that gives a wing loading of 71 oz/ ft^2.

It flies like a dream - it is my go-to everyday flier. I prefer flying it over my Ultra Flash.

Just don't fly it like a foamy and expect it to do what you ask!

Paul
Yea, in the 70's with a nice big wing like the Hunter it flies more like "jet trainer". What's funny is when you tell a giant scale 3D guy your wing loading is like that and they are flabbergasted! To them, 30 oz/sq. foot is on the heavy side. Even the WWII warbird types are in the 40-50 oz./sq. foot range and think 70 is *really* high...

Bob