Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow Aircraft Stingray

Old 09-04-2019, 01:02 AM
  #1  
Signofinfinity
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 205
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Yellow Aircraft Stingray

Hi all,

I managed to acquire a used stingray.

She will have to undergo some TLC, but in pretty good shape.

I would appreciate if anyone can supply working numbers. That is control throws, reflex, CG etc.

Wren 44gold, to be installed and spektrum ar9350 a3sx. To try dampen the Dutch rolling.

Much appreciated!

George
Signofinfinity is offline  
Old 09-04-2019, 01:43 PM
  #2  
jason
My Feedback: (1)
 
jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: kenilworth , UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 2,348
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Now there's a blast from the past. Had one maybe 15/16 years ago. Nice kits and I had a 44 in mine too.Can't remember anything about it regarding control throws, CofG etc other than I remember we needed the airbrake much more vertical than the stock engineering allowed and thought it had built in reflex? Maybe wrong about the though. Sadly lost mine in a flat spin.

Jason
jason is offline  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:44 PM
  #3  
Signofinfinity
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 205
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Yep, always loved that little bird.

Unfortunately I have no details on her apart the basic info on the forums.


It's hard to come by some numbers....

George
Signofinfinity is offline  
Old 09-05-2019, 04:47 PM
  #4  
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)
 
mr_matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Oak Park, CA,
Posts: 10,348
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Whatever you do don't forget to add reflex. I know the airfoil already has reflex but you need more, I would estimate maybe 1/8 inch of "up" on the elevons at neutral.
mr_matt is offline  
Old 09-06-2019, 04:16 AM
  #5  
Signofinfinity
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 205
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by mr_matt View Post
Whatever you do don't forget to add reflex. I know the airfoil already has reflex but you need more, I would estimate maybe 1/8 inch of "up" on the elevons at neutral.
Thanks. I was assuming that reflex is needed.

Thanks for the heads up.

Still looking to get control throws, expos, and CG....

Thanks all
Signofinfinity is offline  
Old 09-06-2019, 05:27 AM
  #6  
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)
 
LGM Graphix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Abbotsford, BC, CANADA
Posts: 5,601
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Everything you're looking for is in this thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/1644934-stingray-setup.html
LGM Graphix is offline  
Old 09-06-2019, 05:36 AM
  #7  
Signofinfinity
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 205
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Great!!!!! I was looking all over for that info!

Thanks for the link!

George
Signofinfinity is offline  
Old 09-06-2019, 05:46 AM
  #8  
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)
 
LGM Graphix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Abbotsford, BC, CANADA
Posts: 5,601
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

The rcu search function is worthless. When you go to Google type in what you're looking for (ie yellow aircraft stingray throws) and then type rcuniverse.
Found that thread right away using Google.
LGM Graphix is offline  
Old 09-06-2019, 11:13 PM
  #9  
Signofinfinity
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 205
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Thanks for that! Will try that!

George
Signofinfinity is offline  
Old 09-08-2019, 09:44 PM
  #10  
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Delta, BC, CANADA
Posts: 1,003
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Boy, now that's a blast from the past! I still have my stingray, but its a bit of a mangled carcass due to a poorly time 'kangaroo hop' on landing. I buggered the wingtips and both fins. Cool plane, and easy to transport. Might fix it someday, and put a P70 in it!
Kelly W is offline  
Old 09-08-2019, 09:56 PM
  #11  
Signofinfinity
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 205
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Bounce of death....

I am installing jet tang struts with brakes, and hope to get the trailing legs in to dampen those hops!!

Trailing legs always help....

Anyone suggest using a3sx on them? Got a spare Spektrum 9ch assist Rx. Coupled with rudders?

George
Signofinfinity is offline  
Old 09-12-2019, 05:44 PM
  #12  
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Delta, BC, CANADA
Posts: 1,003
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Hey George,
Interestingly enough.... A few flights before I buggered up my stingray on landing, I'd switched my elevon servos to Hitec 5945MG's. I had a lesser quality digital before that. The 5945's had superior centering and hysteresis performance, which really dialed in the trim. It was a totally different jet. I'd suggest going without the AS3X stuff until you have a 1st flight down, then judge if its still needed. I thought it was dutch roll, but it went away after the elevon servo swap. Before that change, it was a real handful, particularly if you let it get far away. If you focus on gettign good servos, it may be a non issue.

Also, ditch the stock gear and install the equivalent Robarts. My gear got really sloppy - fast, and that was a contributor to the hop + damage... With a robust gear set, you only need to concentrate on holding the nose up slightly on landing, and just let it settle in at idle with the speed brake up. Its a very slippery jet, but its OK...

KW
Kelly W is offline  
Old 09-13-2019, 11:41 AM
  #13  
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Barrington, NH
Posts: 1,039
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I purchased one (a kit) from Yellow Aircraft just before they closed up shop. Wish I had purchased two .... it was not an expensive kit. I hope to make it this years winter project.
Attached is a pic from a page in their instruction manual. However, I am not sure if there is better info/guidance on the throws and CG from people who have had a lot of real-time experience flying one.

Bob
BalsaBob is offline  
Old 09-13-2019, 02:53 PM
  #14  
Signofinfinity
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 205
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Kelly W View Post
Hey George,
Interestingly enough.... A few flights before I buggered up my stingray on landing, I'd switched my elevon servos to Hitec 5945MG's. I had a lesser quality digital before that. The 5945's had superior centering and hysteresis performance, which really dialed in the trim. It was a totally different jet. I'd suggest going without the AS3X stuff until you have a 1st flight down, then judge if its still needed. I thought it was dutch roll, but it went away after the elevon servo swap. Before that change, it was a real handful, particularly if you let it get far away. If you focus on gettign good servos, it may be a non issue.

Also, ditch the stock gear and install the equivalent Robarts. My gear got really sloppy - fast, and that was a contributor to the hop + damage... With a robust gear set, you only need to concentrate on holding the nose up slightly on landing, and just let it settle in at idle with the speed brake up. Its a very slippery jet, but its OK...

KW
Thannks for the input! Appreciated. I have the robo struts, but the stock yellow retracts. Are they any good? I feel they are a bit sloppy. fly. I off concrete, Old RAF runway....or what's left of it.

I usually don't use the A3SX stuff. Especially till I get the aircraft flying as it should. I thought maybe the yaw damping might help to minimise the Dutch roll tendency.

I believe speed brake deployment, like my T1Euro, must be set to, all you can get, right?

I had in mind of getting the JTM 90mm viper struts with electric brakes, make sense?
Signofinfinity is offline  
Old 09-13-2019, 02:55 PM
  #15  
Signofinfinity
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 205
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by BalsaBob View Post
I purchased one (a kit) from Yellow Aircraft just before they closed up shop. Wish I had purchased two .... it was not an expensive kit. I hope to make it this years winter project.
Attached is a pic from a page in their instruction manual. However, I am not sure if there is better info/guidance on the throws and CG from people who have had a lot of real-time experience flying one.

Bob
That is great!!! Thanks Bob! And I will all 1/8" reflex up on the elevon for takeoff and cruise!

Thanks for that!

George
Signofinfinity is offline  
Old 09-13-2019, 07:30 PM
  #16  
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Delta, BC, CANADA
Posts: 1,003
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Signofinfinity View Post
Thannks for the input! Appreciated. I have the robo struts, but the stock yellow retracts. Are they any good? I feel they are a bit sloppy. fly. I off concrete, Old RAF runway....or what's left of it.

I usually don't use the A3SX stuff. Especially till I get the aircraft flying as it should. I thought maybe the yaw damping might help to minimise the Dutch roll tendency.

I believe speed brake deployment, like my T1Euro, must be set to, all you can get, right?

I had in mind of getting the JTM 90mm viper struts with electric brakes, make sense?

The stock retracts are terrible. The alloy quality in the frames is very poor. The material is very soft, so the slider pin will eventually make the slot wider, which makes the retract leg sloppy. I'll see if I can dig mine up and show you. My nose gear retract lasted less than 5 flights before I replaced it with a Robart equivalent (which was bulletproof). The Robart is a way better design, the frames are better material, and the pin slot is curved to follow pin motion in the trunion.

Yeah, speed brake - get all you can get. You'll need it. I powered mine with a Hitec HS-645 for reference. Worked perfectly.

If you concentrate on getting good quality elevon servos, you may never see the issues in dutch roll.

On the spec sheet posted above, I wouldn't limit myself to those max thrust specs. It can handle more. Its the residual (idle) thrust in landing what you need to worry about...

You are really making me think about fixing my old bird... Good luck!
KW
Kelly W is offline  
Old 09-14-2019, 06:29 AM
  #17  
Signofinfinity
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 205
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Kelly W View Post
The stock retracts are terrible. The alloy quality in the frames is very poor. The material is very soft, so the slider pin will eventually make the slot wider, which makes the retract leg sloppy. I'll see if I can dig mine up and show you. My nose gear retract lasted less than 5 flights before I replaced it with a Robart equivalent (which was bulletproof). The Robart is a way better design, the frames are better material, and the pin slot is curved to follow pin motion in the trunion.

Yeah, speed brake - get all you can get. You'll need it. I powered mine with a Hitec HS-645 for reference. Worked perfectly.

If you concentrate on getting good quality elevon servos, you may never see the issues in dutch roll.

On the spec sheet posted above, I wouldn't limit myself to those max thrust specs. It can handle more. Its the residual (idle) thrust in landing what you need to worry about...

You are really making me think about fixing my old bird... Good luck!
KW
Hehe! Yes you should.

Ok, so I will try find the robart retracts or just get the JTM ones.

To be honest I saw some slop, and I didn't like.

Elevon servos, was going on Digi Spektrum 10Kgs Metal gear...

Will mount the wren 44gold on.

Any pictures of the engine mount? Mine seems custom, and not quite as it should be....

Thanks!!!!

George
Signofinfinity is offline  
Old 09-16-2019, 08:41 PM
  #18  
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Delta, BC, CANADA
Posts: 1,003
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Here's what I did. I had access to a milling machine at the time, so I carved a couple slots into an aluminum T-section. Band clamps from that point, easy.

KW


Last edited by Kelly W; 09-16-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Kelly W is offline  
Old 09-16-2019, 09:07 PM
  #19  
Signofinfinity
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 205
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Marvelous solution!!!!! And that removes the wren clamp! I like!

Will work out something on those lines!

And simple band clamps than.... Great.

Appreciate it.

Am still looking at the retract problem. Robart 550... Jet1a... xicoy.

Problems are the struts... Can't find trailing link leg with little offset, and short!!!!

Been emailing everyone. Thing is I need brakes. I fly off concrete, and not quite a long strip. Some 200meters or so.

Thanks for your valuable inputs!
Signofinfinity is offline  
Old 09-28-2019, 12:22 AM
  #20  
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Delta, BC, CANADA
Posts: 1,003
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

200 m on concrete should be be fine. I flew the 1st 2 flights of a 500ft long grass strip.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about trailing link struts. The legs are pretty short, and the spec'd robostruts will work fine. I'd just go with that and change later if you feel the need for it. I doubt you will though.

I did modify the nose strut though, to use a single nose wheel.

KW
Kelly W is offline  
Old 09-29-2019, 12:30 AM
  #21  
Signofinfinity
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 205
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I am fitting the JP electric brakes. Using robo struts.

I ended up in a major overhaul, will post some pictures of the rebuild soon. Will use 4mm festo tubing all around for retract and a gas start ?MW44gold.....

Thanks for all the heads up. I will not bother with the out side finish...yet. After she has flown and all good, will get her to the paint shop

Thanks for all the info. Anything posted on the matter is always appreciated!

George
Signofinfinity is offline  
Old 10-02-2019, 09:48 AM
  #22  
meps
My Feedback: (9)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 489
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I have a kit that I bought on RCU a couple of years ago that I probably will not get to any time soon. The guy I bought it from started to build it. He got the wings done somewhat but need a little work in my opinion. I also have a set of used wings and vertical stabs that can be used, as well as some odds and ends if someone is interested. Retracts, turbine mount and conformal fuel tanks are included.

Steve
meps is offline  
Old 10-15-2019, 06:39 AM
  #23  
Signofinfinity
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 205
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default



Found some time to get the robo struts fitted with electric brakes. Remind me the robart retract part number if anyone got it handy.... Just ordered my festo plumbing...

Last edited by Signofinfinity; 10-15-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Signofinfinity is offline  
Old 10-19-2019, 01:55 AM
  #24  
Signofinfinity
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 205
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Engine mounts




I wonder if the height is too much above the thrust line.....
Signofinfinity is offline  
Old 10-19-2019, 02:00 AM
  #25  
Signofinfinity
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 205
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Speek brake. Using all the mechanical advantage possible....





Signofinfinity is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.