Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

REX12 And R3/900 and CB200 Set Up

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

REX12 And R3/900 and CB200 Set Up

Old 09-22-2019, 03:04 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Craig,

In Default mode both transmitter 2.4Ghz RF sections talk to the receiver alternately and as I recall in double path mode each transmitter 2.4Ghz RF section talks to the Primary and Secondary receivers. In dual double mode, both the Primary and secondary receivers support telemetry telemetry. The 900Mhz is a backup receiver and never even fully activates until BOTH 2.4Ghz (if there are 2) have failed. I'm assuming Danny's recommendation for the REX12 is the longer antenna leads and the different antennas. I'm not 100% certain that they really work any better but I can't say they don't either. The longer leads certainly allow better separation of the antennas which should make it easier to avoid having both antennas shadowed by an object in the aircraft. As for Danny's recommendation to connect the 900Mhz directly to the Rx2 of the CB200 I'm not sure he wasn't recommending that before the CB200 had been updated to allow 2, 2.4Ghz receivers AND an R900Mhz. As I said, I'm not all that big a fan of dual receivers anymore so I certainly wouldn't be concerned about a single 2.4 I'hz RX and a single 900Mhz (I don't use 900Mhz either myself as I have no issues at all with 2.4Ghz). Still, since a Cortex PRo was involved I'm not sure why he didn't suggest connecting the R900 directly to the REX12 and then only the Cortex pro to the CB200. Now that the REX receivers allow a second receiver to be connected via Ex Bus I'm not sure why he didn't suggest connecting the R900 direct to the REX12 or even the Cortex Pro so that you would still get stabilization should the system fail over to 900Mhz. Still since I don't use the Cortex Pro I may be missing something obvious and Danny is the expert with the Cortex devices so I'd follow his recommendations,..
Wayne,
Thanks or taking the time with your explanation and comments! It's interesting that we are so concerned with multiple rx options when in reality, the primary rx's are so good/reliable that we'll probably never experience a condition requiring backup. Think of all the years we flew successfully with just a single rx/antenna and thought nothing of it. Nevertheless, it's nice to know we have some sort of redundancy in the unlikely event of an equipment failure or unusual RF environment, particularly with the 900mhz.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:40 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

With the expense involved in our models, my preference is to have multiple receivers. The risk you mitigate depends on factors that include how "clean" from a 2.4Ghz your field is, the location of your antennas in your install, etc

The deficiencies on taking advantage of the dual (or more) receivers mentioned above are not because there are more than 1 Rx, but rather the way the selection of signals is implemented in the Jeti systems. where there are multiple Rx.
Other equipment's will receive the signals from multiple Jeti receivers and select on "frame by frame" basis a valid signal. Using that approach, you can then receiver the full value of having multiple Rx's.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:13 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez
With the expense involved in our models, my preference is to have multiple receivers. The risk you mitigate depends on factors that include how "clean" from a 2.4Ghz your field is, the location of your antennas in your install, etc

The deficiencies on taking advantage of the dual (or more) receivers mentioned above are not because there are more than 1 Rx, but rather the way the selection of signals is implemented in the Jeti systems. where there are multiple Rx.
Other equipment's will receive the signals from multiple Jeti receivers and select on "frame by frame" basis a valid signal. Using that approach, you can then receiver the full value of having multiple Rx's.
While it's true that other devices such as the XPS24 and I believe Power Box will look at multiple receivers on a frame by frame basis we were discussing an REX12 with a clone. Unless there is a firmware update that I'm not aware of (very possible) devices such as the Cortex Pro duplicated the way Jeti looked at dual receivers and not on a frame by frame basis. Also I never said multiple receivers caused a problem, only that the Jeti implementation does a very marginal job of providing the antenna diversity that multiple receivers should provide. I never told anyone not to use them, I simply explained how they work and the short comings. It's a personal choice and as long as someone understands what they are getting then great, they should add whatever they want to their models..

Last edited by wfield0455; 09-22-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:39 AM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The V1.32 CB200 firmware, has a switchover strategy named "Mixing", which means that the CB combines data from all active receivers in a packet by packet basis (as long as the receivers are connected to the CB via EX Bus).
What is interesting about this, is that it does provide antenna diversity since the signals from all the antennas are processed at the same time.
I think that none of the receivers can be an Assist rec.

Upgrading to V1.32 may require upgrading the transmitter Devices folder.

Jack
Old 09-22-2019, 10:53 AM
Jack Diaz

V1.32 also includes the possibility to reduce the switchover time from 150 to 80ms.

I guess that is the strategy to follow if one of the receivers is connected to the CB via a CortexPro

Jack
Old 09-22-2019, 11:23 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Diaz
The V1.32 CB200 firmware, has a switchover strategy named "Mixing", which means that the CB combines data from all active receivers in a packet by packet basis (as long as the receivers are connected to the CB via EX Bus).
What is interesting about this, is that it does provide antenna diversity since the signals from all the antennas are processed at the same time.
I think that none of the receivers can be an Assist rec.

Upgrading to V1.32 may require upgrading the transmitter Devices folder.

Jack
Thanks for the information Jack. The Espiritmodel website shows V1.20 as the latest CB200 firmware and jetimodel.com shows V1.31. Where do we find v1.32?

Thanks,
Craig
Old 09-22-2019, 01:21 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wfield0455
While it's true that other devices such as the XPS24 and I believe Power Box will look at multiple receivers on a frame by frame basis we were discussing an REX12 with a clone.
I think you did an excellent description of the situation the OP asked about. Just wanted to highlight that we should not give up the redundancy protection possible with today’s available options.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:15 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez

I think you did an excellent description of the situation the OP asked about. Just wanted to highlight that we should not give up the redundancy protection possible with today’s available options.
I think Jeti does a good job at least for me with my electric’s and jets both at home and at event’s, never did miss a beat...at least for my models I don’t need anything else.......all these suppose to be better then this and that...are just that suppose to be better....
Old 09-22-2019, 04:45 PM
Jack Diaz

Originally Posted by CraigG
Thanks for the information Jack. The Espiritmodel website shows V1.20 as the latest CB200 firmware and jetimodel.com shows V1.31. Where do we find v1.32?

Thanks,
Craig

Sorry Craig, I meant V1.31
Old 09-01-2020, 07:45 PM
flyer1966
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jsnipes
On my Havoc, I have a REX12 as primary in default mode with a 2nd REX12 setup as a clone and plugged directly into the primary REX12. These are plugged into a Cortex Pro that is plugged into RX1 port of the CB200.. I have my 900 MHz backup plugged into RX2 of the CB200. Excellent Q values thus far. Very happy with the setup.

I’m stealing this diagram from GooseF22 over on the DS24 thread. It was very helpful to me. Mine is similar to this except I have a REX12 clone plugged into the primary REX12 instead of an R3 plugged into the Cortex Pro.

Hope this helps! JS

I'm new to JETI. I am trying to set up my Mephisto with a CB200 and cortex pro. I had it in dual path. As was plugging my servo's I realized I was out of slots for my servos due to my thrust vectoring servos. I just ordered the REX 12 to try this type of setup.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:05 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flyer1966
I'm new to JETI. I am trying to set up my Mephisto with a CB200 and cortex pro. I had it in dual path. As was plugging my servo's I realized I was out of slots for my servos due to my thrust vectoring servos. I just ordered the REX 12 to try this type of setup.
You should be plugging servos into the CB200. You ran out of slots for servos on the CB200?
RP
Old 09-02-2020, 03:44 AM
Dansy

instead of using 3 slot for telemetry, if they are not ExBus...just use an expander, as well you can also change the output on the RX to accommodate some servo’s.....best to talk to Danny at Aeropanda....
Old 09-02-2020, 04:18 AM
flyer1966

Default CB200 slots

Originally Posted by RickP
You should be plugging servos into the CB200. You ran out of slots for servos on the CB200?
RP
yes. The Mephisto has 4 servos on the stabs, and 2 for thrust vectoring plus all the other normal stuff.

Last edited by flyer1966; 09-02-2020 at 04:43 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:24 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

yes. The Mephisto has 4 servos on the stabs, and 2 for thrust vectoring plus all the other normal stuff.
Okay, My guess is that you should be plugging servos only into a control box. If you need more than 14 servos I guess you could add a CB100 for more slots, or perhaps move up to the CB400? As far as receivers go I don't think you need any more than a R3 to provide signal to the CB's...
RP
Old 09-02-2020, 05:33 AM
Dansy

are you using a cortex pro?
Old 09-02-2020, 05:52 AM
flyer1966

Default Cortex pro

Originally Posted by Dansy
are you using a cortex pro?
yes I’m going to be using the cortex pro