Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sab Avio Retract Gear Control Unit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sab Avio Retract Gear Control Unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 12:07 AM
Xantos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sab Avio Retract Gear Control Unit

Anybody have any idea what the yellow part is ?
It came with the retract gear control unit.
Instructions are very sparse and I have no clue what it's for.
The Gear control unit seems to have ports for the gear , doors and brakes all controlled from a single device
Nandan
Old 10-10-2019, 04:00 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Could it be a voltage regulator because maybe the gear can't take 2S LiPo? Just guessing. Had to add a regulator for my T-1's gear.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:22 AM
T3chDad

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm thinking brake controller...

EDIT: Nevermind...I see "BRAKE" printed large on the gear controller box. So...???
Old 10-10-2019, 04:42 AM
Len Todd

The main control unit has a B1 and B2 port. Why would they throw in a separate brake controller? Also, look at the size of the apparent capacitors on the yellow device. That is what lead me to thinking it was a VR. The individual brake units I have seen are very small. It is hard to tell the size this unit. But this unit does have 4 output pins. So I could see where one would think it could be a brake controller. But, I am stuck on the main unit's B1 and B2 ports. ??

I would be searching the INet for the main unit's instruction manual. Programming the main unit would be a nightmare w/o some sort of instruction. Also, one could maybe see if the voltage is regulated by the control unit. Some controllers have internal VRs. Some do not. Depending on the gear motors' voltage limit, a separate VR may be needed. At the very least I would want to know the maximum voltage the gear motors can take, so when I end up junking the OEM controller's I could put an LGC 15/GS200 on and be done with all the brake problems that most controllers do not address.

These dealers who send us this stuff w/o instructions, need to called out on the carpet!
Old 10-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That looks exactly as a JP brake controller, it has a servo channel input and the outputs are only two pins each... brake controller to me...and surplus
Old 10-10-2019, 02:31 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

I didn’t get one with my Havok gear...
Old 10-10-2019, 06:09 PM
RC_MAN
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was told it is not needed since the main controller does it all. But for some reason my ABS brakes are very aggressive. I tried reaching the company but no luck. I'm not impressed.

Another company with a decent product but non existent customer service.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:56 PM
Xantos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nose gear clearance

The Retract unit sits in nicely but not possible to extend and retract gear with a Stand size servo, see pics

The retract unit calls for a standard servo for steering, this pic is in the gear UP position but when gear is extended the bottom of the servo touches preventing gear extension

A close up of the clearance in the Nose gear bay

Nose gear assembled as per instructions

Last edited by Xantos; 10-10-2019 at 09:01 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-11-2019, 03:48 AM
Dansy

Mine has a MKS 950 standard servo and worked fine?....
Old 10-11-2019, 03:49 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by RC_MAN
I was told it is not needed since the main controller does it all. But for some reason my ABS brakes are very aggressive. I tried reaching the company but no luck. I'm not impressed.

Check with your dealer...they have a new set of wheels and brakes as a free replacement to improve breaking....
Old 10-11-2019, 04:00 AM
Len Todd

Originally Posted by RC_MAN

I tired 4 different brake controllers before I found one that works w/o the brake dance. The problems I had with both my E-Braked jets was the disks get magnetized differently. Then when you put on the brakes one comes out to the electromagnet before the other and then you start the brake dance. But to make it worse, then the brakes do not work evenly. I polished & machined the disks and supporting screws/ pins to take off rough edges, etc. Still had brake dances. The 4th controller was the Xicoy LGC 15. It uses a gyro in the controller to use the braking power and nose wheel to keep the jet going straight when braking. It actually lets off on the offending brake and adds to the other brake to keep the plane going straight. It also uses the nose wheel steering too. It also has a workable ABS. Now all I do is push the brake lever fully up and plane comes to a straight complete stop w/o skidding or going off course. Oh, you can also set the amount of power applied to each brake individually. The Xicoy LGC 15 is the same controller as Electron's GS 200. Same hardware & program, different box. I ended up trashing the OEM controller on one plane, gave two other controllers away and buying a couple LGC 15s. Now the brakes work correctly, and I can get short roll outs w/o any dancing around.