Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Dreamworks Order

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Dreamworks Order

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 02:08 AM
Levi Wags

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dreamworks Order

Hey guys,

A friend of mine has recently placed an order with Dreamworks. He has paid in full and order is ready to ship. Then he gets an email asking him to email a photo of his drivers licence and credit card before they will ship the order. In a world full of fraud and privacy issues I think this is a strange request. Has anyone experienced the same thing?

PS this is not a Dreamworks bash, I think they’re a great company.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:45 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

I've seen a number of companies putting such policies in place for international orders. Since I see you're from Sydney, I'm guessing your friend is outside the US as well ? I'm guessing they are just trying to verify that this isn't someone placing an order using a stolen identity, etc.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:40 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I say give José and crew a call.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:44 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

DW, like other vendors, have been hit with fraudulent charge backs and other forms of fraud and I hardly blame them for trying to ensure the order is legit. Your friend should be thankful because this protects him from fake orders using his card number as well.

I'm lucky, with Dreamworks I just go get it and swipe my card, they have very cool toys.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:39 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Man, ain't no way I'd email someone a picture of my driver license and credit card! I've had my CC compromised three times and two of those were due to data breaches of card processing companies used by model shops. So I have my own issues about who gets my card number and for what. If a call to Jose isn't sufficient, time to find another vendor.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zeeb:
Auburn02 (10-07-2020), Smokeyr67 (10-13-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 01:33 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default CC verification

What you can do is if you have access to a scanner and software, you can create a PDF of the information, then apply a very secure password (15-25 characters) to include special characters and then you do a quick call to read them the password or you can use a zoom session with the company where you see each other face to face and you can verify ID that way. There are so many other ways around how they are doing it now, it just takes the use of a little technology and some common sense. I personally would never email anyone anything, I would do the face to face zoom call to ensure you as the vendor provide me with your ID so I know who I am dealing with and vice versa.

Patrick
Old 10-07-2020, 02:34 PM
cetigershark

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Come on, where are we now these days. You order, give your credit card data and pay. That's it. If there is any fraud, you are anyway protected by the credit card company. Well, at least in my country.
The following users liked this post:
Smokeyr67 (10-13-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 05:03 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by cetigershark
Come on, where are we now these days. You order, give your credit card data and pay. That's it. If there is any fraud, you are anyway protected by the credit card company. Well, at least in my country.
The buyer is protected from phony/illicit vendors in the USA, but if hit with a charge back especially from a foreign country, the vendor gets charged back for the full amount and there is no recourse. All this nonsense about huge passwords and such is just way over the top. A phone call should be able to clear up the situation. If not, an ACH transaction could be used but that does not avail you of a credit card, it's 'gotta come out of either your checking or savings account.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:01 PM
Levi Wags

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I know Dreamworks are trying to prevent fraud and cover themselves by doing this, but sending your personal details and photo across the world via email is more likely to create fraud/ identity theft.
I’ve purchased many things online and have never had to do this. I’ll tell my friend to ask Dreamworks to secure the order another way.
Thanks all
Levi
Old 10-09-2020, 05:55 AM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Levi,
When I ordered my JetsMunt Merlin from Dreamworks they would not fill my order because I had not done a lot of business with them prior to the order. Like Levi I had a big *** moment. I ordered it, paid you, send me my turbine. They called me and explained why that is their policy, and as mentioned it is to prevent fraud. We deal with all of these online vendors, but they are often small companies working on low margins that get hit hard when they ship a $2500 turbine then the cc company says we are taking our money back because the card was reported stolen. Then they are out of a turbine and the money. In addition a cc company will cover our loss but it still costs everyone in the form of higher prices for everything else, so it makes sense to prevent it if possible.

That said, I would not send them a copy of my drivers license, SS#, or mothers maiden name. I was surprised how well Dreamworks knows their customers, like by name and location. During our conversation I just happened to mention the name of a flying buddy of mine, they lady on the phone said "oh, Bob, he orders from us all the time, you know Bob"? I know it sounds bush league, but it is that much of a relationship business. Bob actually called them and told them I was on the up and up, next thing you know, my turbine was on the way. Now when I call to place an order, they actually remember who I am. Guess it didn't help that my first order with them was one $2500 bucks.

If I knew Levi's friend I would give Dreamworks a call on his behalf.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:14 AM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

You can't blame them, credit card fraud is rampant today, but I do agree a simple call should be enough.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:48 PM
MarkF

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have been burned twice from over seas orders. Each were over $700. The CC company said I should ask for a drivers license or ID card that shows the same shipping address and name before I fill an order. Other wise give them there money back. I don't blame DW for covering there behind.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:33 AM
reo
My Feedback: (130)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Credit cards aren't the end all for payments, there's bank to bank transfers, PayPal, etc
Old 10-10-2020, 09:16 AM
MarkF

I was burned through PayPal and CC orders. PayPal doesn't protect you from overseas countries unless they have a valid account which most scammers don't, and CC company's need you to have the CC number in order to look into it. Most websites don't keep CC numbers as a way to protect the buyer. These scammers are using stolen CC and use CC portals. Bottom line is you need their Id's to verify it's them. I stopped selling overseas because of the hassle and being burned. DW is doing there do diligence to protect them self's.

Last edited by MarkF; 10-10-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:27 AM
Levi Wags

Aabdu thanks for the info mate, and thanks to all again for your comments. A friend of mine works in Cyber Security and saw this thread. He messaged me and said under no circumstances should you send such personal information via email, or at all. I agree with Dreamworks covering themselves, but if they have no customers there is no Dreamworks. They have refused another option to identify my friend so he is asking for a refund and will go elsewhere.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:13 AM
BarracudaHockey

I do cyber security for a living. The simple and effective method to complete the transaction has already been mentioned, a pw protected PDF can be done pretty easily and satisfy everyone.

That said, I'm guessing they would rather loose the occasional sale than to get hit with a large charge back, my buddy lost his RC car shop over a 10k dollar order that got received and charged back and he lost dispute with the credit card company because they almost always find in favor of the consumer. Another instance a guy walked into my friends tint shop, swiped his card for a 500 dollar ceramic tint job. SWIPPED HIS CARD, then called his credit card company to dispute it and they took the money back, even after the vendor showed him pictures of the guy posting his new tint job on Facebook.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:46 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I do cyber security for a living. The simple and effective method to complete the transaction has already been mentioned, a pw protected PDF can be done pretty easily and satisfy everyone.

That said, I'm guessing they would rather loose the occasional sale than to get hit with a large charge back, my buddy lost his RC car shop over a 10k dollar order that got received and charged back and he lost dispute with the credit card company because they almost always find in favor of the consumer. Another instance a guy walked into my friends tint shop, swiped his card for a 500 dollar ceramic tint job. SWIPPED HIS CARD, then called his credit card company to dispute it and they took the money back, even after the vendor showed him pictures of the guy posting his new tint job on Facebook.
Not disputing what you are saying but I have to wonder if this be case how long before CC are no longer accepted for certain purchases by any store.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:29 PM
MarkF

Stores can ask for your ID. Websites don't and so it makes it easier for thief's to use stolen CC. Unless that site does ask for ID, but then you get threads like these complaining about it
Old 10-12-2020, 09:45 AM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 111 Likes on 89 Posts

I placed a small order to Dreamworks. I got an email stating my order is on hold and they need to see my CC & DL. So I scanned them. My CC has no numbers on it - hah!
The email address they gave was not good. Now I wonder if this is a scam too.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:00 AM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

How about a bank transfer/wire for the first time?
Old 10-12-2020, 10:51 AM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 111 Likes on 89 Posts

I called them and got another email address. Now my order is processed. It appears to be a one-tine deal for new customers. As suspected, they have be hit by fraud.
Your information is already out there, so many data bases have been stolen over the past few years. The CC companies tend to protect the consumers. They like our money.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:56 AM
reo
My Feedback: (130)

I would do a bank transfer before providing anyone with a pic of my DL.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:37 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by ravill
How about a bank transfer/wire for the first time?
There are a number of businesses that I use an ACH transfer which is free but you cannot used a CC nor can you use a CC for a Wire Transfer and those can be spendy.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:53 AM
DWLisa

Hi Guys,

Just to clarify a few things here... Yes, for 1st time customers paying by CC we have been asking for verification. However, we are also letting the customer know to block out all numbers on the CC except for the last 4 numbers just so we can verify that it was in fact the card used for the purchase. The ID shows us that the address affiliated with the order is on the ID along with a picture of the person. Again only to verify that it is a legitimate order. Once again we ask to block out any id numbers as we are not interested in that, only the picture of the person and their name. This policy has been put in place due to numerous fraudulent orders we have been receiving and getting hit with eating the cost of not only stolen product, shipping cost and chargebacks. We are just trying to protect ourselves as well as our customers. Most policies in place by credit card companies are for the protection of the consumer not the vendor, as we have very little recourse when it comes to fraud. If this is a issue for some, like someone mentioned, a simple phone call would suffice. If it's a fraudulent order the thief won't bother.

We appreciate all of our customers and are only here to fulfill their flying needs at 100% protection! Thank you for your continued support.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:51 AM
BarracudaHockey

Lisa, I prefer you stick to your anti-fraud policies to help keep the costs lower for all of us.
The following users liked this post:
DWLisa (10-21-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.