Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

T-1 vs Odyssey?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: T-1 or Odyssey
Odyssey
31.71%
T-1
65.85%
Other (please put name in post)
2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

T-1 vs Odyssey?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 11:02 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Question T-1 vs Odyssey?

Gents,

Looking for a new sport jet to replace my aging Elan.

The T-1 and the Odyssey are priced very similar and online reviews, videos etc seem very favorable for both.

Curious on opinions which is better all around performing aircraft.

Criteria for me:

-Speed is nice but not critical
-Low speed/short grass field more important - I fly off anything from 4000' paved runways to 400' grass
-Quality of product?
-Cost - there are other options I know of but the pricing goes up fast - want to keep it in this price range

Any other recommendations?
Old 10-01-2019, 12:53 PM
Westwindpilot86

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Even though I have not had either, I do have the T-3 and absolutely love the quality. It does everything on your list and would imagine the T-1 is very similar. I have flown a T-1 and I really liked it. But have never owned one. I know its not exactly the info you wanted but I hope it helps a little bit.

Steven
Old 10-01-2019, 01:11 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

I Love My T-1 and Mini T-1

T-1

Mini T-1
Old 10-01-2019, 01:11 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default t1 vs odyssey

Originally Posted by PaulD
Gents,

Looking for a new sport jet to replace my aging Elan.

The T-1 and the Odyssey are priced very similar and online reviews, videos etc seem very favorable for both.

Curious on opinions which is better all around performing aircraft.

Criteria for me:

-Speed is nice but not critical
-Low speed/short grass field more important - I fly off anything from 4000' paved runways to 400' grass
-Quality of product?
-Cost - there are other options I know of but the pricing goes up fast - want to keep it in this price range

Any other recommendations?

The man to ask this question to is named Lior Zhavi he is on FB and on RCU and he has owned and flown both alot.

Patrick
Old 10-01-2019, 01:33 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I like my T-1. It flies great fast or slow. Very maneuverable. Flies like a trainer. I fly off asphalt mostly and have flown off grass at Joe Nall. To make it go fast, I have a K160. It flies fast really well. Never had even one unexpended result on any maneuver. I would however, look into other gear, probably electrons with GS200. The OEM's electric gear's braking is less than effective. Of course an LGC 15 can make the OEM's electric gear work just a good as Electron's GS 200. The OEM gear itself are good. But the JP controller is junk. Also, do not waste your money on the NAV lights, which again the JP controller is junk and the some of the individual LEDs did not even work. But given these minor shortfalls, the T-1 is my Go-to Jet these days. After a couple white knuckle days on the Ultra-Flash, the T-1 makes for a very relaxing day.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:07 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Todd
I like my T-1. It flies great fast or slow. Very maneuverable. Flies like a trainer. I fly off asphalt mostly and have flown off grass at Joe Nall. To make it go fast, I have a K160. It flies fast really well. Never had even one unexpended result on any maneuver. I would however, look into other gear, probably electrons with GS200. The OEM's electric gear's braking is less than effective. Of course an LGC 15 can make the OEM's electric gear work just a good as Electron's GS 200. The OEM gear itself are good. But the JP controller is junk. Also, do not waste your money on the NAV lights, which again the JP controller is junk and the some of the individual LEDs did not even work. But given these minor shortfalls, the T-1 is my Go-to Jet these days. After a couple white knuckle days on the Ultra-Flash, the T-1 makes for a very relaxing day.
Great feedback - thanks.

In the case of the T-1 - I don't think the mfr offers the plane without the gear - at least not on Pacific RC Jets site.

PaulD
Old 10-01-2019, 03:10 PM
Dansy

Originally Posted by PaulD
Great feedback - thanks.

In the case of the T-1 - I don't think the mfr offers the plane without the gear - at least not on Pacific RC Jets site.

PaulD
They do way at the bottom.....on the colour scroll down...
Old 10-01-2019, 06:20 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I've had no problem with the T-1 pneumatic gear if you want to go that route.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:37 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Odyssey, no doubt
Old 10-02-2019, 01:11 AM
GULDUKAT

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

I have flown both quite a bit and own the Odyssey with a Cheetah SP (150N). I fly off 450ft grass runway and take off for both is about the same. (The Feibao Dolphin S /Pilot predator 2.2 is also another one to consider - same airex construction and same pricing)

Here's a basic comparison:

Assuming same engine, servos, etc.

Odyssey is faster
Odyssey has more wing area - floats a lot more (needs crow for landing)
Both with KE with ease but Odyssey needs a little more speed
Odyssey has a little more room to add accessories (2l smoke, etc.)

T1 is stronger but a little heavier (airex vs traditional fiberglass/resin construction)
The Stock electric gear is from JP which is quite good (I bought those for my 2.2M Flymodel Viperjet and also for my Odyssey) (I have had very good luck with the JP retracts - my big 3.5M Viper from Pilot also has JP retracts)

Size:

Odyssey is a little longer and wider (91" vs 86.5, 86 vs 75.5")
Price is about the same retail - for me it was a little cheaper as the Odyssey was available at Nall and I got a set of those JP gears for $ 350 from China. The highest speed I have got on the Odyssey is 192MPH with a small dive.

Good luck.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:07 AM
Len Todd

I got the OEM's electric gear in my T1. The brakes were the only problem that I had with the JP gear. After a lot of polishing and rough/sharp edge removal on the brake disk and supporting screws, I still could not get the brakes to work evenly often resulting in locked up brakes and a "brake dance."I ended up taking the three retraction magnets out of the hubs. This allowed the disks to come to the electromagnets w/o suddenly snapping out once the electromagnet's power overcame the permanent magnets. The power needed to get the disk off the permanent retraction magnets immediately cause the brakes to lock up once the disks were off the permanent magnets.

Also, due to the disks themselves becoming magnetized unevenly, the plane would not brake evenly. This too causes uneven braking. After testing 3 brake controllers, I ended up using an LGC 15 controller to get control of the brakes. The LCG 15 can compensate for all these issues that less robust brake controllers can not seem to overcome. It also can overcome the magnetic effects encountered in the current designs of electric brakes. As I understand it, the LGC 15 is basically the same as Electron's GS-200.

Now, once on the ground, I just push the brake slider to full on and both my jets with LGC15s just come to a nice smooth/straight stop in a very short distance. Smooth braking is part of the success needed to landing on shorter runways. Fixing the brakes has cut the runway used in my landings in half.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:17 AM
horsefeetky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

len
did you set the controller for abs pulse type braking using its gyro to keep it going straight.. so many options on how to make use of the lgc-15
Old 10-02-2019, 05:55 AM
Len Todd

I used all the features. The controller steers the nose wheels based on the gyro. The controller uses the brakes to steer the planes. I have the ABS on. On one of the planes, I even have different power levels set on the two brakes because one side always seems to brake a bit harder than the other. Then, …

There is the gear controller features. I only have one door, so that was fairly easy. But figuring out the current limits on the gear drive motors took a bit of testing in the air.

The T-1 has an external voltage regulator because the T-1 gear can't handle the 2S LiPo. The prolink gear in the UltraFlash can handle 2S LiPo, so there is no regulator in it. There is no regulator in the LGC 15. There is one in the T-'s JP controller. Castle creations make a great 10 Amp regulator.

Basically, I set the first one all up on the bench and played for a day to figure out the programming. Once past that, the second one only took about 20 minutes to program.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:57 AM
Dansy

My brake are still a weak point, but the gear now has a hard time going up and down every time.....tired of wasting money on these, so I’m going to convert my T-1 to electron, and while I’m at it....will convert the Mini T-1 as well before I have more problems.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:27 PM
flyloose

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dansy
My brake are still a weak point, but the gear now has a hard time going up and down every time.....tired of wasting money on these, so I’m going to convert my T-1 to electron, and while I’m at it....will convert the Mini T-1 as well before I have more problems.
Is there a "drop in" set of Electron gear for the T-1? I think when I order mine I may just go with no retracts and get Electron
Old 10-02-2019, 01:12 PM
Len Todd

In one of these discussions I asked the same question. One of the responses was that Electrons install w/o any mods. If I was to do it all over again, I too would go with Electrons. But, don't take me wrong the JP gear hardware has held up well. Its the JP gear/brake controller that is the issue.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:18 PM
Dansy

Originally Posted by flyloose
Is there a "drop in" set of Electron gear for the T-1? I think when I order mine I may just go with no retracts and get Electron
Yes they have a drop in for the T-1...
Old 10-02-2019, 04:02 PM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by flyloose
This is the route I went. I am a fan of the Electrons so I went that route. You save $300 by ordering with without gear and if you factor in the $595 you would have to pay for the electric upgrade then that is practically the cost of an Electron setup with the nice GS200 controller.
Tone
Old 10-02-2019, 05:33 PM
hotspot 01

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From an outsiders perspective not owning the two different types I think the T1 has better ground handling the Odyssey squats too much on the rear undercarage.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:53 AM
WimB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at both as well, but I did choose the T-One (Fortune outside the US)
I must admit that the only Odyssey at that moment was a pre-production kit, while the T-One was already in full production.
Reasons to choose the T-one:
- superior workmanship
- superior painting
- real hinges vs. live hinging
- personal, but I like the look of the T-one better.
- the factory keeps improving details on it.

mine has the pneumatic gear, without any issues.

Wim
Old 10-06-2019, 01:29 PM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine is still in the box awaiting assembly. Other projects at the moment. Need to purchase additional touch up paint to remove all the Kingtech, T-1 Models decorations. I don’t like names on my sport jets.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:37 PM
Dansy

Originally Posted by ledd4u
Mine is still in the box awaiting assembly. Other projects at the moment. Need to purchase additional touch up paint to remove all the Kingtech, T-1 Models decorations. I don’t like names on my sport jets.
You should have asked for now decals.....they have done that before, I have none on my mini T-1 and only under the wing on my T-1
Old 10-07-2019, 02:20 AM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I did, didn’t happen. Was told it would be mentioned to the factory.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:58 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the Odyssey best. I do not like jets that have no clear canopy. The ones without this feature look inferior & cheap. However,I am sure the T1 fly's well. Just does not have the kerb appeal for me.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:06 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by Jim Cattanach
I like the Odyssey best. I do not like jets that have no clear canopy. The ones without this feature look inferior & cheap. However,I am sure the T1 fly's well. Just does not have the kerb appeal for me.
‘I’m pretty sure clear canopy are now available.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.