Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Airspeed Sensor

Old 11-11-2019, 06:05 PM
DepecheMode101
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Airspeed Sensor

Hello all

Any tips or tricks of the trade to do this?

Thank you in advance.
cheers
Old 11-11-2019, 06:21 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't know of anyone installing a pitot tube airspeed indicator, most are using radios with GPS which will give you ground speed readouts which is usually good enough.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:57 PM
aehaas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All my jets have true pitot tube air speed sensors, most useful in windy conditions. Latest installation on my T-38:

AEHaas
Old 11-11-2019, 07:10 PM
aehaas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's another:

Old 11-11-2019, 09:18 PM
DepecheMode101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by aehaas View Post
Here's another:

sexy!!!!!
Old 11-12-2019, 12:29 AM
jescardin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by aehaas View Post
All my jets have true pitot tube air speed sensors, most useful in windy conditions. Latest installation on my T-38:

AEHaas
I rather prefer the elegant lines of the Talon.

By the way there already are telemetry air speed sensors in the market. more reliable when flying at low speed than GPS data. For example Futaba SBS-01TAS, although I understand there are also others from Jeti and/or PowerBox.

https://futabausa.com/product/sbs-01tas/

Best Regards,
Old 11-12-2019, 06:22 AM
Auburn02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by jescardin View Post
By the way there already are telemetry air speed sensors in the market. more reliable when flying at low speed than GPS data. For example Futaba SBS-01TAS, although I understand there are also others from Jeti and/or PowerBox.

https://futabausa.com/product/sbs-01tas/
Anyone know what size tube this uses? I assume any standard airline fitting and line could be used to extend/splice the tube, as I'd love to install one in the scale location on my MiG-15 wing.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:56 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
I don't know of anyone installing a pitot tube airspeed indicator, most are using radios with GPS which will give you ground speed readouts which is usually good enough.
All of my jets have airspeed. It is easy install and it makes consistent approaches much easier. You are right that if you want to just get a rough speed for wow factor GPS is fine and being that my airspeed is not callobrated in any way gps may be about as accurate but I don't care for my use. I use the airspeed for approach mostly. I do stall tests then set my approach speed accordingly. Don't care if my actual speed is 30, 40, 50, etc. Just that I am flying the same speed on each approach.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:41 AM
Auburn02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep, I know several guys doing the exact same thing. Currently I do use GPS on some of my planes but would love to switch to actual airspeed. Even though GPS is not nearly as accurate for a stable approach, the good part is as long as you're landing upwind the GPS may lead you to come in hot but should never let you get too slow.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:30 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I mounted the pitot tube in the fake air data probe in both of my 1/5 F-16s. I've been using it for the last 4 years. Now I use the Jeti DS-24 with Dave's Speed Announcer Lua program to make callouts when I want them. Mostly I use it for approach and landing. It has made my approaches more consistant and safer. Highly recommended.
Gary
Old 11-12-2019, 06:02 PM
aehaas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My BVM F16 has the pitot tube out front:

Old 11-12-2019, 06:40 PM
Viper1GJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does the pitot tube screw on to hold radome on? If so how did you do it? I did that on my first 1/6 F-16 but used a canopy latch to hold on the radome so the pitot tube did not screw on.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:48 PM
aehaas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a screw on the bottom to hold the radome in place. There is no need to take it off unless servicing the pitot tube.

AEHaas
Old 11-13-2019, 02:36 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Try this: shopbvmjets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_60&products_id=268&zenid=jav3sfrjq9juc0jtdeosgqull4

I have one on my Ultra Bandit. They are designed for the JetCat speed sensor, but can be modified to fit your specific pitot tube. You can paint to suit.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:28 PM
roydefiant

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gary,
the lua program for airspeed with Jeti. Does it just give a number without saying mph all the time. If so where do I find it and get it into my DS24?

thanks
Roy
Old 11-13-2019, 05:09 PM
Viper1GJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by roydefiant View Post
Gary,
the lua program for airspeed with Jeti. Does it just give a number without saying mph all the time. If so where do I find it and get it into my DS24?

thanks
Roy
Roy,
Yes it does. That's the main reason I use it. You can contact Dave (ww2birds here on RCU). He wrote it and has the latest version. He emailed it to me.
Gary
Old 11-13-2019, 07:17 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For those flying Jeti and not wanting to use Jeti, a fellow pilot and friend (Wayne...who posts here and over on RCG) shared with me his setup for using the Jeti MSpeed sensor with the built in Vario functionality.
Essentially instead of using the vario tone for altitude, it is configured instead for airspeed.

First you to set a nominal approach speed, +/- a band, say +/- 5mph. This is comfortably above stall speed.
If you are in this band (say your preferred landing speed), then the vario is silent.
If you are below or decreasing below, then the vario tone goes lower in pitch/frequency
If you are above or increasing above, then the vario tone goes higher in pitch/frequency

You can turn this function ON/OFF via simple 2 position switch during flight and only turn it on during landing
The tone to me is easier than listening to or processing a number call out. Just keep speed to maintain (silence) and you're in the groove. If it's increasing, you're too fast, if its decreasing you're too slow