Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Boeing T7A - XXL size

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Boeing T7A - XXL size

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 11:01 AM
Ceeray

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I taped and glued the canopy. It works until the post guy manages to deliver my canopy.. they sent it back to Netherlands.

I also found the elevator shafts having slop between bearings and shaft. I used thin CA to tighten it. I will probably replace whole elevator system with more accurate axle/bearing combo.

I use full throttle only during takeoffs and verticals. 1/3 to 1/2 needed only when level flight and rolls etc, the energy is well preserved in this one.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:48 AM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

After reading Ceeray's post and talking to a friend with a Rebel Max who also can fly with a 5L tank for about seven minutes, I opted to keep a 5L fuel tank but with a 1L partition. I also did some work on the main gear light. The stock mounts were easy enough to remove and I sanded the heatsink on the aluminum house g down a bit to accommodate the brackets. I also used a but of hysol for fill the heatsink at the point where I tapped it for a bolt. Light lined up pretty good.Thanks,Tone

Old 12-14-2022, 04:25 PM
Agrav8ed

I was not a huge fan of the bearing and collar attachment system for the elevators. Obviously it works as other people have flown this successfully, but I like something a bit more robust. So I have a friend of mine make a bearing plate to install inside a fuselage. Also had two aluminum elevator shafts machined and tapped to allow full contact with the bearing. This way I have more bearing support for the huge elevators and I can add a large washer and a second bearing on the inside of the fuse that will resist any lateral pull of the elevator and shaft. He also made me larger control arms that are not only removable, but are a bit longer as well to decrease slop and improve resolution.
T

hanks
Tone
Old 12-17-2022, 12:04 PM
Ceeray

Above mods look nice. I have given thought for similar system. Also a sleeve bearing would work as an outer one and it would give support up until the skin starts
Old 12-17-2022, 01:01 PM
Agrav8ed

Here are a few more pics with the completed upgrades. To summarize I kept the original bearing in place to add additional support and to help things line up. The carbon blocks have larger flange bearing inserted and they were hysoled in place. I added 0.3mm shims before all bearing to ensure the contact is only with the race and ensure smoothness. There is a carbon washer on the inside of the fuse to resist any lateral force. The control arm is about 10mm longer. This not only reduces slop but will allow me to use the full throw of the servo. To be honest, I am not sure why JMB did not add something similar consider how large and heavy the elevators are instead of simply a small flange bearing mounted into wood.
Thanks,
Tone

The following users liked this post:
jcterrettaz (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 03:48 PM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Revised stab linkage

The factory appears to have significantly revised this design. Here is what is on a customers

kit we recently received.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:27 AM
Agrav8ed

That's a nice upgrade. Glad they did some changes. Would be a bear to retrofit that though just due to getting in there far enough to mount the screws. May just have to be hysoled in.
Tone
Old 12-18-2022, 11:55 PM
Fred-WindRC

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think The T7A XXL size will be better in the close future.
Old 07-02-2023, 05:55 PM
Agrav8ed

So due to life and circumstances, it been a while since I have been able to get back around to the T7A XXL. Work has been killer, the weather has sucked, and I had other jets to complete that are a bit smaller and more manageable. However, after getting the maiden done on my GJC MB339, I had a chance to get the maiden done on my T7a.
The reinforcement to the tail section elevator went well and I mixed in elevons in my smoothflite on a switch. I tried it both ways and personally, I liked the way it flies with the elevons better. It just seems a bit more locked in. I did have to add a fair bit of uptrim which tells me that I am a bit nose heavy. I may try to take a bit of weight out of the nose on upcoming flights, but for now, I will keep it where it is.
I must say, this is thr largest jet I have ever flown so I was a bit nervous and my hands actually shook a bit. Which was funny as that has not happened in years. However, now that it. Anyway, here is the maiden flight.
Tone
Old 07-02-2023, 06:05 PM
Agrav8ed

The T7A XXL flew great overall. Did not feel any notable bad tendencies and the brakes held well. I am using a xicoy LG15 controller. It came in nice and steady and settled in without requiring a lot of power. Here are some pics from today.
Thanks,
Tone

The following 2 users liked this post by Agrav8ed:
causeitflies (07-02-2023), jcterrettaz (07-03-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 08:34 PM
Ceeray

Congrats!

It flies nice yes when gear up...

I flew mine only once this summer so far.
During approach the plane kept rolling +-20 degrees , it was all over the sky and I didnt touch the sticks ... there was a quite strong crosswind and I think the gear doors generate turbulence.

Anyways it landed nice eventually but after touching down the crosswind pushed the plane on its wingtip ( same with f16s...) and right wingtip was crushed and sanded against asphalt badly. I have repaired it already and pending paint.

But this is just too large to fly everyday as I have to dismantle it to pieces for every outing.
Old 07-22-2023, 08:33 AM
Ceeray

Well I trashed my plane due dumb thumbs.

I have the damaged retracts and vertical and horizontal stabs available for sale. Also a spare clear canopy glass.

Also full set of wing bags from Revoc and also a custom Revoc canopy cover set for anyone interested for sale. PM if interested.
Old 07-22-2023, 09:29 AM
Agrav8ed

Originally Posted by Ceeray
Well I trashed my plane due dumb thumbs.

I have the damaged retracts and vertical and horizontal stabs available for sale. Also a spare clear canopy glass.

Also full set of wing bags from Revoc and also a custom Revoc canopy cover set for anyone interested for sale. PM if interested.
That really sucks. I am sorry to hear that you lost it. What happened?
Tone
Old 07-22-2023, 10:54 AM
Ceeray

Slow speed , tailwind, a dumb tired pilot on my 6th flight for the day and decision to aling the runway with 270° roll instead of 90° standard roll. To begin with a slight downward trajectory ( unnoticed by me) the slow speed caused a slower roll rate which I noticed when it was almost upside down. Then also nose dropped more while I tried to roll it upright and also away from flight line and spectators. I managed to wrestle it aligned to runway but it hit the ground at around 15-20° angle.

so the last second bad decision caused the whole mess.

Old 07-22-2023, 05:16 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

...so the last second bad decision caused the whole mess.
Sorry for your loss.
Old 07-24-2023, 04:28 AM
Agrav8ed

That really sucks. Did the turbine survive? Is it repairable?
Thanks,
Tone
Old 07-24-2023, 11:51 AM
Ceeray

Repairable.

A vid surfaced which shows that it was a controlled flight into terrain. There was a considerable amount of pull on the stick causing the roll becoming a barrell roll and it happened fast and I think I have pulled more in panic mode. Takes one glitch inside brains and u r ded...

Oh well. Dont fly tired...Video
Old 07-25-2023, 09:14 AM
Agrav8ed

Repairable.

A vid surfaced which shows that it was a controlled flight into terrain. There was a considerable amount of pull on the stick causing the roll becoming a barrell roll and it happened fast and I think I have pulled more in panic mode. Takes one glitch inside brains and u r ded...

Oh well. Dont fly tired...Video
Video is not working for me.
Thanks,
Tone
Old 07-27-2023, 11:24 AM
Ceeray

New try