Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

fuel tank algae

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

fuel tank algae

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 04:25 PM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel tank algae

my airplane sat for 7-8months
first flight of the day lots of engine surging
shut down the engine to refuel and the engine ran perfect
this happened two days in a row. just removed the tank and it appears there is algae a dark matter on parts of the inside of the tank
. I have put alcohol in the tank and shake it pretty good but that doesn't seem to make a difference.
any suggestions on what I can use to dissolve and clean the tank and hopper tank?
I can use some good advice. there is a baffle in the tank which makes it difficult to reach everywhere
thanks
stan
Old 11-28-2020, 04:30 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

You need the stuff designed just for algae in fuels, it will dissolve it but your filters may need replaced.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:22 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

I would put fresh diesel back in and used this product (below) aggressively.......but you fueler is also contaminated......your UAT .....and filter

Biobor JF - Diesel Fuel Biocide - this work as well for jet/Kero fuel

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014434DG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-28-2020, 06:18 PM
tucson

Dansy
what about the algae already built up in my tank and uat. Will this dissolve the algae quickly? I assume you can run it and it will not affect the way the engine runs.
I was also thinking of how to clean the algae out right away. Some one suggested putting gasoline in my Jersey modeler and that would kill the algae.
Thanks for the info.
Stan
Old 11-28-2020, 07:47 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

It has been asked before, this thread will give you the answers you are looking for regarding what to use, how much to use.

hope this helps, it helped me.

Algae in fuel tanks
Old 11-28-2020, 08:30 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

BioBor, a teaspoon in 20 lt. Don't ever empty your tanks completely and you'll never have algae again......
Old 11-28-2020, 09:32 PM
tucson

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CARS II
It has been asked before, this thread will give you the answers you are looking for regarding what to use, how much to use.

hope this helps, it helped me.

Algae in fuel tanks
Cars 11
Thanks for directions to Algae in fuel tanks thread. It really helped me to understand what's going on.
Its never to late to learn. I have been flying turbines for 12 years and never have seen this problem before.
Just lucky I guess.
Stan
Old 11-28-2020, 10:26 PM
CARS II

Welcome!

I had my first experience with this ##%$##$R% algae about 4 years ago when I switched from HD kero to Diesel, had no idea it was going to plug the filter in my boomerang XL, I experienced two unexpected flame outs, then like you, I came here to find answers, the guys here help me understand what I was dealing with and pushed me in the right direction to solve my problem ( algaecide ) I now keep using it every time I buy Kero at the pump ( switched to pump Kero right away ) because it also comes from an underground tank, no more flame outs or black stuff in my can or tanks, I now clean the filters in my jets every 6 months just in case, for that I use electronics cleaner plastic safe, you find this can at HD and places like Staples.

Have fun flying your jets and stay safe and algae clean

Amazon Amazon
Old 11-28-2020, 10:30 PM
CARS II

First flame out video taped by my daughter

Second one.

Last edited by CARS II; 11-28-2020 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:00 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

We sell a specific pack that is easy and safe to use, as the syringes are packed and ready to use with minimal contact to the biocide agent:

https://www.ultimate-jets.net/collec...treatment-pack

One syringe per 5 gal for regular treatment.
2 syringes per 5 gal for shock treatment.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:01 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
BioBor, a teaspoon in 20 lt. Don't ever empty your tanks completely and you'll never have algae again......
Right and wrong. Biobor Kills algae,(hormoconis resinae) but micro organisms grow in the water in the fuel. If you fuel contains no dissolved water then the algae has nothing on which to grow, If you completely drain your tanks, no fuel = no water= no algae !
The elimination of water goes a LONG way to eliminating algae growth, Mr Funnel does a very good job here.

I’ll add another point here. here. HR can cause corrosion of metal in contact with it as some fullsize manufacturers and operators have found to their cost. Gaspar recently sent to my group his video of machining of his pumps for the new 90 and 120 engines.They are machined on his Datron cnc machine to a tolerance of .01mm for max efficiency. .HR corrosion, and dirt could easily destroy this tolerance so:
Do everything possible to eliminate water from your fuel.
If you still have water problems use Biobor.
Filter, filter and filter again, your fuel so that jt is perfectly clean before it gets to the pump.
Seal off your tanks to stop air getting in/out with temperature changes which can induce moisture which is then absorbed by the fuel. ( Kerosene is quite hygroscopic)

Coffee finished, Ill leave it there !

Last edited by David Gladwin; 12-01-2020 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:46 PM
Afterburners

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Figured I'd share some pics I took from my Reaction's UAT. Been flying this jet since 2006 and have done fuel tank maintenance but didn't mess with the UAT. I purchased the duckbill material about two years ago to replace the one in the UAT but just got around to it a few months ago. If I had seen what was in there while the UAT was in the plane, I would have pulled it out much sooner.