Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Old Diesel Fuel- OK or not OK?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Old Diesel Fuel- OK or not OK?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 01:24 PM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Diesel Fuel- OK or not OK?

With everything going on last year, I did not fly my jet, and I have both mixed and unmixed diesel fuel that is about 18 months old. I'm planning on getting the jet back in the air soon and I have some questions.

- Is the 18 month old mixed diesel OK to run? It's mixed using Kingtech oil and I'll be running it in a Kingtech 140 G2.
- Is the18 month old unmixed diesel OK to add oil to and run after sitting that long?
- Any concerns with algae with either?

- I'm using a BVM UAT that's about 3-4 years old but does not have a lot of flights on it. It's had fuel in it the entire time. Is there a point at which you would need to replace the bag in the UAT?

- Anything else you would check on a jet that's been sitting this long before flying?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2021, 01:57 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

I have these same questions.

I have used Bidor in the fuel so algae should be ok? I will also use a Mr Funnel on it to remove the water, but I got one and have not used it yet....

Looking forward to the wisdom of the group on this.... Thank you DMichael for posting.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:15 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a vehicle that requires diesel, the next time you fill up, dump it in the vehicle before you fill up then buy new diesel for the jet.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:03 PM
NZjet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Diesel dosnt go "off" yours will be fine stored in a container. I am using jetA from a few years ago and it's fine.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:33 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Ok, here is my take on this subject.

Regarding the UAT bottle, the UAT bottle is fine, there is no need to change it, I got UATs that have been in airplanes nearly 15 years, the sox can be change if you think there is algae in the fuel, if you did not added algaecide to the fuel then, there maybe some of it in the cans, the clear algae is the one that will clog the fuel filter, it's hard to see because it is clear.

Here is a thread on the subject.

Algae in fuel tanks

Last edited by CARS II; 04-26-2021 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:39 PM
CARS II

FS3 Airtex.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:45 PM
CARS II

Use this spray cleaner to clean the fuel filters, we are looking for plastic safe.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:48 PM
CARS II

The algaecide we all use, put the needed cc x2, then leave it untouched for a week, same thing for the fuel system in your jet, fill up with Diesel with the algaecide, leave the vent open, let it seat for a week, clean the filter, continue to use algaecide from there on, clean the filter once a season.

That is how my jets have been algae free for over a year now.

Excellent idea to use Mr: Funnel to remove any water in the fuel.

Last edited by CARS II; 04-26-2021 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:50 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
I have these same questions.

I have used Bidor in the fuel so algae should be ok? I will also use a Mr Funnel on it to remove the water, but I got one and have not used it yet....

Looking forward to the wisdom of the group on this.... Thank you DMichael for posting.

Not sure some here would consider me part "of the group", but here's my thought; I have some nice clean Kerosene that's about three years old and not used due to personal issues I've experienced the last several years. It's mixed with JetCat oil which has the anti-static additive and I used BioborJF. I have two five gallon jugs of the stuff in those semi-clear big mouth plastic jugs like you see the NHRA drag racers use for their nitro fuel. Point is, if anything shows up in those jugs you can see it. I also have a five gallon Jersey Modeler blue jug, the old style "flat" version which you cannot see into. The last couple of weeks we've been running and flying jet models that I've had for quite some time without them being even started let alone flown; so far we've not had a lick of trouble with any of them. I also have the Mr. Funnel filters and will use those when I refill the Jersey Modeler jug, but I do not anticipate any issues. IF I do run into some issues of contamination, I'll be posting those issues here.

I'm sure there will be those here who find my post foolish....
The following users liked this post:
AEROSHELDON (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 05:30 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Not sure some here would consider me part "of the group", but here's my thought; I have some nice clean Kerosene that's about three years old and not used due to personal issues I've experienced the last several years. It's mixed with JetCat oil which has the anti-static additive and I used BioborJF. I have two five gallon jugs of the stuff in those semi-clear big mouth plastic jugs like you see the NHRA drag racers use for their nitro fuel. Point is, if anything shows up in those jugs you can see it. I also have a five gallon Jersey Modeler blue jug, the old style "flat" version which you cannot see into. The last couple of weeks we've been running and flying jet models that I've had for quite some time without them being even started let alone flown; so far we've not had a lick of trouble with any of them. I also have the Mr. Funnel filters and will use those when I refill the Jersey Modeler jug, but I do not anticipate any issues. IF I do run into some issues of contamination, I'll be posting those issues here.

I'm sure there will be those here who find my post foolish....
Since you do a Biobor treatment your fuel should be good, I used Diesel and I do the same and my fuel stay good….

‘’the problem is if the fuel is not treated…like I think it’s in his case, then I think he certainly has algae issues, and yes you can do a strong treatment, but I think the same happen to his tank, filter and UAT.

What I would suggest dump the diesel into a a vehicle….get fresh stuff….also open and flush the Fuel tank, filter and UAT. No sense loosing a jet over a little work and money.
The following users liked this post:
sewbusy (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 05:42 AM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, everyone. Overwhelmingly (both here and responses to the same question I posted on the Facebook "RC Turbine Jets" page) the responses have been that I should assume that the fuel has algae, I should clean out my tank/UAT/onboard systems (and fuel jug), use Biobor to deal with any algae and start over with new clean fuel, using Biobor in my fuel jugs going forward. I also have the Mr Funnel filter to remove water and will continue to use that.

It's a small pain to have peace of mind and much less bother than a flameout...