Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Any Interest in a Turbine powered water jet?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Any Interest in a Turbine powered water jet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 02:51 PM
Vettster

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Any Interest in a Turbine powered water jet?

Curious to see if anyone would be interested in a Turbine Powered water jet. I know I am cause I spent the last 3 winters building this one
But what about the general jet public.. This is more than a Water Jet, it can also be flown from soft snow and from green dry grass. Funny thing is it doesn't like wet damp grass. Seems to have a capillary attraction thing going, That is till I waxed the bottom and then it was as slick as can be. lol

So what you see in the photos is the porotype. Its prop driven for now, but is built to take a small 80-100N turbine. The motor mount will accommodate prop or turbine with minimal modifications. Im currently testing on a 10 cell setup, but will soon be putting a 100N turbine in it. Its 100% Epoxy construction with lots of CF.

Specs..
Full flying tail.
Length 72"
WS 54"
Take off weight Electric.. 22lbs This will be reduced in the future. Aiming for 19-20lbs

I'm Just a garage shop builder.. would appreciate honest and constructive opinions

Thanks!

Trevor

Last edited by Vettster; 08-04-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:16 PM
airwolf81
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting project I actually like it. How would the the vertical mount be reinforced to endure it does not come off with turbine power.

interested in the design.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:50 PM
Vettster

Thanks Airwolf. I considered your question very seriously during the design phase. The Vert stab has 3 connection points.
First is the 1" CF tube that slides into the fuse and is clamped.
Second there is a hard mount for a large machine screw at the front of the vert stab
Third.. there are 2 bolts at the rear with a bolt on either side.
She's pretty secure.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:03 PM
airwolf81
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettster
Thanks Airwolf. I considered your question very seriously during the design phase. The Vert stab has 3 connection points.
First is the 1" CF tube that slides into the fuse and is clamped.
Second there is a hard mount for a large machine screw at the front of the vert stab
Third.. there are 2 bolts at the rear with a bolt on either side.
She's pretty secure.

very nice. I was a little concerned but seeing this looks like it’s very well taken care of.

how are the flights on so far ??
Old 08-05-2021, 03:42 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I want one!!!
Old 08-05-2021, 04:21 PM
Ret. SECRET AGENT

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember when these "North Star's"

were quite popular, glad to see them making a comeback.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:02 AM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Vettster,
I'd consider putting a dowel in the CF tube if you're clamping on it, cf tubes are pretty ****ty at bearing that kind of compression loads and you may easily crack it imho
Old 08-06-2021, 03:16 AM
Vettster

Originally Posted by Ret. SECRET AGENT
I remember when these "North Star's"

were quite popular, glad to see them making a comeback.
. Yes Laddie did a great job designing the North Star. He helped me with advise during my building of the WETJET. He is only 1hr from me and I promised to let him fly it one day.

[QUOTE=mauryr;12688955]Hey Vettster,
I'd consider putting a dowel in the CF tube if you're clamping on it, cf tubes are pretty ****ty at bearing that kind of compression loads and you may easily crack it imho[/Qimho

Good tip.. thanks. If only in the clamping area.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:45 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Once you iron out all the kinks, I'll be one of your first buyers!

Can't wait to see it!
Old 08-06-2021, 05:51 PM
Vettster

Thanks ravill.. I haven't done much RC stuff in the past couple of years as I've got a major reno going on that I'm working on myself. Good news is its winding down and when the cooler days get here I'll be able to head back into the shop and not come out again till the spring I hope to pull a couple of planes by then, and make them much lighter in the process as many Ideas that I had in the prototype will be eliminated. I wont be using the Honeycomb looking stuff anymore, but rather substituting it with aero cell? (Cant remember the name, B1 Bob uses it all the time) By no means am I trying to make a living out of selling the WETJET.. but I wouldn't mind selling one or two every now and then.
Old 08-07-2021, 05:30 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Thats a great looking airplane.

get rid of that soric and replace it with a airex/rohacell core or balse and you’ll be able to shave 20-30% of your layup weight. The stuff is nice to work with, but is heavy.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:04 AM
Vettster

Originally Posted by invertmast
Thats a great looking airplane.

get rid of that soric and replace it with a airex/rohacell core or balsa and you’ll be able to shave 20-30% of your layup weight. The stuff is nice to work with, but is heavy.
Thanks Invertnmast.. Yes I agree 100% Airex is the way to go. Unfortunately for the prototype I didn't make the switch in time. I realized that the Soric is nothing more than a giant sponge for holding a ton of extra resin.
What layup sequence would you use.. 2oz, 4mm airex, 3oz ??
Old 08-08-2021, 05:15 AM
invertmast

Thanks Invertnmast.. Yes I agree 100% Airex is the way to go. Unfortunately for the prototype I didn't make the switch in time. I realized that the Soric is nothing more than a giant sponge for holding a ton of extra resin.
What layup sequence would you use.. 2oz, 4mm airex, 3oz ??
that would produce a tank of an airplane, strength and weight wise. LoL

i would do 2 layers of 1.4oz, 2mm in high stress area’s (wings, bottom of the fuse vertical tail, etc) 1.2mm on the rest and then a final layer of 1.4oz with carbon where needed.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:46 AM
Vettster

Sounds good.. Now the hunt for the Airex or what ever its called here. Wayyy to expensive to buy from the US. Shipping is just stupid for what adds up to AIR!! I bought some for another project a couple years back.. but think I can remember its name or where I bought it LOL
Old 08-09-2021, 03:47 PM
Vettster

Originally Posted by invertmast
i would do 2 layers of 1.4oz, 2mm in high stress area’s (wings, bottom of the fuse vertical tail, etc) 1.2mm on the rest and then a final layer of 1.4oz with carbon where needed.
So.. Here its called Divinycell And the thinnest I can get it is 3.2mm or 1/8. Where are you guys getting it in the states. I might have to go that route in order to get thinner sizes.
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalo...nycellfoam.php
Old 08-09-2021, 08:37 PM
invertmast

So.. Here its called Divinycell And the thinnest I can get it is 3.2mm or 1/8. Where are you guys getting it in the states. I might have to go that route in order to get thinner sizes.
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalo...nycellfoam.php
i have to import mine, no one in the us sells airex or rohacell. It ran me about $250 in shipping and import taxes the last time i ordered some about 5 years ago.
Old 08-18-2021, 05:30 AM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

In 2004 John Campbell built a Northstar, scaled up one and a half times to a span of 66 inches, powered by an ASP 108 and it flew majestically, but went home for “improvements”.

It reappeared at Loch Tay in 2005 with a turbine engine bolted on top, and the single fin replaced by a pair of fins to support the tailplane, and a plywood bottom. The turbine slowly spooled up, the Northstar set off and after a long run she lifted off just perfectly. With Phil Davis helping to adjust the trims, an understandably nervous John flew the model round several high circuits, then brought it lower to give everyone a better look. Phil took the controls for a few more circuits and a roll, and after 7 or 8 minutes everyone cheered a perfect touchdown back on Loch Tay. I reported this in a UK model magazine at the time and asked if anyone had flown a jet seaplane before. Nobody replied, so was this the world’s first model jet waterplane?

The engine was an Australian TJT 3000, rated at 32 lb thrust but trimmed back to give 26 lb, the model weighed 25 lb including 3 litres of fuel.

Last edited by alasdair; 08-18-2021 at 05:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by alasdair:
Halcyon66 (08-18-2021), Viper1GJ (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 05:51 PM
Vettster

Interesting story Alasdair.. Thanks for posting. i cant wait to do this...

Last edited by Vettster; 08-18-2021 at 05:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vettster:
Halcyon66 (08-18-2021), jcterrettaz (08-19-2021)
Old 04-29-2022, 02:34 PM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting story Alasdair.. Thanks for posting. i cant wait to do this..
Here's my own latest development, finally finished and flying..

power is a Wren 44 gold rated at 10 pounds thrust.

The following users liked this post:
Wattstar (08-05-2022)