Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM F-18F Flaperons?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM F-18F Flaperons?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 02:30 PM
MFIGHT43

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BVM F-18F Flaperons? AND Show me your Super Hornet!

Pilots,

I have searched the forum and have not found anyone talking about this specifically (well except for one back in 2008, before our current radio systems). Has anyone tried Flaperons on the 1:7 BVM Super Hornet ? I have them set up on mine, along with crow on the rudders, exactly like the full scale. The only thing I have not set up yet is stabilators for assisting roll control with flaps. Just curious if anyone has found negative control issues with this setup. I do know the rudders help with pitch stability during takeoff and landing, taming it down.

Last edited by MFIGHT43; 11-07-2022 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:17 PM
bidrseed2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve the same model.
i haven’t tried the rudders or flaperons like you have but I do have the stabs set up for roll control.

i now don’t fly it without the aileron/delta mix enabled. Id always previously found that I didn’t have as much roll authority as I’d have liked. The ailerons are bottom hinged, and I never had as much upward movement as I’d have liked.
The delta mix on the stabs sorted that out, without any adverse effects that I’m aware off.

i am using a powerbox completion SR2 and iGyro sat.
Old 11-07-2022, 04:16 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

I was advised by BVM and multiple team pilots that have that jet not to fool with flapperons. Full disclosure, i haven't flown mine yet to see for sure but I trust the folks I talked to.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:53 AM
MFIGHT43

Originally Posted by bidrseed2
I’ve the same model.
i haven’t tried the rudders or flaperons like you have but I do have the stabs set up for roll control.

i now don’t fly it without the aileron/delta mix enabled. Id always previously found that I didn’t have as much roll authority as I’d have liked. The ailerons are bottom hinged, and I never had as much upward movement as I’d have liked.
The delta mix on the stabs sorted that out, without any adverse effects that I’m aware off.

i am using a powerbox completion SR2 and iGyro sat.
I am using Powerbox as well, mind sharing your throws on the Delta mix? I'd like to incorporate that. The original owner of this jet programmed the rudder crow mix and said it help significantly to tame the tendency to "leap" off the runway during takeoff. It also provides some drag for landing helping to slow it down.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:56 AM
MFIGHT43

I am sure the issue is roll control, and the fact it has too little with flaperons, most likely necessitating the use of stabilators in roll.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:41 AM
bidrseed2

Originally Posted by MFIGHT43
I am using Powerbox as well, mind sharing your throws on the Delta mix? I'd like to incorporate that. The original owner of this jet programmed the rudder crow mix and said it help significantly to tame the tendency to "leap" off the runway during takeoff. It also provides some drag for landing helping to slow it down.

Certainly.
The model isn’t the easiest to access at the moment, but I can do if the below doesnt give enough info.
On my transmitter, full elevator uses 74 percent travel, and gives me the BVM recommended elevator throw, whatever that was.
Ive set three aileron rates set up on a triple switch.
One has zero delta mix
The second uses 25 percent of elevator throw as an aileron mix-(Edit- to avoid confusion-that means a 1/3 of total)
The third uses 50 percent of elevator throw as an aileron mix.(Edit-so effectively 2/3 of total elevator travel)

I haven’t flown the plane for over a month but from what i recall, i certainly dont need more than the 50 percent.
The 25 percent rate helps enormously especially at slow speed.

Ive been meaning to try the inboard rudder movement as a mix. My model doesnt leap off the ground, but does need more runway than i would like. Ive recently changed the nose gear spring, and ill see if that helps.
Ive also changed the stock pipe to a grumania pipe. It certainly sounds better but i dont know if i gained any thrust.
I do however use all three tanks for fuel so my takeoff weigh might be the issue.
I fly mine on a JM 210TS but that is turned down to 180N- and it is, im not just saying that for public consumption. I did once try a takeoff at full thrust but the take off roll wasn’t reduced, hence why i think making the nose gear spring stiffer might help.
Tbh i had the engine at 160N to begin with and 180N didnt reduce the take off roll much. It did help with the vertical performance, but not massively.
A 160N engine and two of the three tanks with fuel would be a good combo.

Last edited by bidrseed2; 11-07-2022 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:46 AM
bidrseed2

The following users liked this post:
MFIGHT43 (11-07-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 02:17 PM
MFIGHT43

Smile

Ooo, show and tell!

Full disclosure...these pics are from the previous owner, Seth Brown. He is a master at building and detailing RC jets.

Last edited by MFIGHT43; 11-07-2022 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-09-2022, 05:27 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have about 60 flights on mine.
No need to over think it, the jet flies fantastic just with conventional controls. It does not leap off the ground on take off, the model sits with some positive aoa to alleviate this.
if anything yeah maybe you could add a bit of elevon to help with roll authority with full flaps, it can sometimes get just a bit mushy in roll as the speed is reduced but it is not mandatory.

With gear down and full flaps be ready with the power as she gets very draggy when dirty. Fly it all the way to ground, it will slow down plenty.
BVM has done a great job working out a lot of the issues that plague super hornets. No need to re invent the wheel.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:12 AM
bidrseed2

Dieselman,
Out of interest, how much up aileron are you getting?
I’ve resorted to elevons, one, because i can and two, my roll rate wasn’t as quick as id like.
The reason for that being the bottom hinged scale ailerons we’re fowling the top surface of the wing when going up.
I can get lots of downmovement, but only about 1/2 inch of up movement. (1/2 and inch is probably an exaggeration, and in reality its less than that.)

Is your model the same?

( Id normally accept some fowling at max throw if absolute necessary. However, thats not a great idea with gyros and nearly caused the model to catch fire on the ground-long story.)
Old 11-10-2022, 09:16 AM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don’t have my model to measure, 3/4” seems to stick out in my mind.
You are correct though, I do remember needing to do some trimming and sanding to get sufficient throw.
Old 11-10-2022, 02:12 PM
JoelP
My Feedback: (20)

Originally Posted by Dieselman1220
I have about 60 flights on mine.
No need to over think it, the jet flies fantastic just with conventional controls. It does not leap off the ground on take off, the model sits with some positive aoa to alleviate this.
if anything yeah maybe you could add a bit of elevon to help with roll authority with full flaps, it can sometimes get just a bit mushy in roll as the speed is reduced but it is not mandatory.

With gear down and full flaps be ready with the power as she gets very draggy when dirty. Fly it all the way to ground, it will slow down plenty.
BVM has done a great job working out a lot of the issues that plague super hornets. No need to re invent the wheel.
I agree 100% with this. My hornet exhibits the same exact traits. This F-18 is far superior to the Tam’s model that I once owned, especially with ground handling in a crosswind. I’m ok with mushy as it slows down… keeps me honest so I don’t stall it!
Old 11-11-2022, 05:39 PM
F900

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

We tried flapperons on mine and as mentioned, it completely changes the flight handing on the jet, it don't seem to like it and does not fly like the F-18 should, like others said no point reinventing the wheel. Standard setup works very well with the BVM F-18F