Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Boomerang R/C Turbinator 2 Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Boomerang R/C Turbinator 2 Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 06:49 PM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Boomerang R/C Turbinator 2 Build

Hello all! getting going with my first turbine project, bare with me as i dip into YT also . Ill run my updates through this thread, so far im pretty impressed with the quality.

The following users liked this post:
BadBill (10-11-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 07:40 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

I hope the initial impression lasts and they sell a thousand of Turbinators, but I just can’t understand the continued use of those backwards tip tanks in the Boomerang lineup and am even more surprised that those bass-ackwards units have now infected the Turbinator family. Perhaps it’s just me. I hope it’s just me, even…but i find those tips simply cringe worthy.

Last edited by highhorse; 10-11-2023 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-12-2023, 12:51 PM
frankie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello Gents, the tip tanks you speak of are useful at protecting the wing tips from runway rash, particularly if you're flying off asphalt. Most newcomers will scrape their wings at some point...They're also a visual aid if you have low light conditions, or are flying at distance. On some models they can also tame down the roll rate, again good for beginner jet pilots. Most modellers could make them removable too....
Old 10-12-2023, 01:03 PM
frankie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

DMehalko - good choice in aircraft, one of our fellow club members learnt on the same airframe over 10 years ago with complete success. After watching your video I would recommend filling the aft-fuselage lighting holes with light-weight balsa if you're hell-bent on glassing and painting. A glassed/painted airframe is relatively easy to accomplish and will look much cleaner both when new and more importantly in the long term. Careful choice and placement of remaining components will help in getting the CG to the correct location.

BRG, Frank
Old 10-12-2023, 03:36 PM
highhorse

Originally Posted by frankie
Hello Gents, the tip tanks you speak of are useful at protecting the wing tips from runway rash, particularly if you're flying off asphalt. Most newcomers will scrape their wings at some point...They're also a visual aid if you have low light conditions, or are flying at distance. On some models they can also tame down the roll rate, again good for beginner jet pilots. Most modellers could make them removable too....
Ok, but they are backwards…and would serve the same purpose if they were correct. Alan Cardash was late into his cranky end of career phase when he came up with those and wouldn’t listen to those of us who tried to point this out before the production run was too deep, but he didn’t listen. Now these backwards things are like a defective gene that’s been passed down and infected following generations.
Old 10-17-2023, 07:14 PM
Rod Hart

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They match the original plane the Turbinator was designed to look like. The F2H Banshee.

Old 10-17-2023, 08:22 PM
highhorse

Originally Posted by Rod Hart
They match the original plane the Turbinator was designed to look like. The F2H Banshee.
No, they don’t match at all. They’re backwards. When Cardash got the tip tank bug on the last Boomer he designed, he made them nonsensically pointy-end forward and fat-end aft, unlike any tip tank on any airplane ever that I am aware of. Somehow that has now infected the T-2. Thankfully, normal tips are also included.