Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

First Flight Skymaster F-15

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

First Flight Skymaster F-15

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 07:43 AM
Gary Szetlak
My Feedback: (13)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default First Flight Skymaster F-15

First flight on my Skymaster F-15 took place yesterday at our field. I purchased this plane from the Airpac flyers last week at Superman. This was their demo plane and was completly built, all I had to do was install my P-80. I shouldn't have but did weigh it before the first flight . Dry it is 23.5 lbs and 27.75 with fuel. That made me a little nervous. I set the Tailavators at 1.25" both ways for elevator and aileron control. The elevator is perfect the aileron is a little too fast, full rate roll just wasn't scale. I used 40% expo and that seemed good to me. The takeoff was straight as an arrow it lifted off in about 300-350' of paved runway climb out was good but not straight up. It needs to collect itself and get on the step. This was the first airplane in 20 years of flying that I put absolutly no trim corrections in, COOL. Once flying I reduced to 3/4 throttle which was a good speed, and loops and cuban 8's were effortless. I estimate 140-150 at full throttle. 3/4 looked like my Eurosport and felt very comfortable very quickly. I kept 1/3 throttle on the downwind leg and pulled back to idle after lining up on the runway. I must have been a little fast or too high as the plane went by a little quick but it setteled nicely and once it touched down stayed there.
I would recommend this plane if you have a p-80 or equivalent that needs a home. It flys great. Thanks to Duke and Eric at Airpac they were good to talk with and sold me a nice plane. All the Airpac flyers were just good RC people and I look forward to their new offerings.
Special thanks to my flying buddies Nick Yuhasz and Gary Nichols for putting up with on first flight days. I get to intense, got to work on that.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:27 AM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Flight Skymaster F-15

Sounds like a winner Gary....that group from Hawaii sure were a nice bunch of guys...

In addition to the P-80, looks like a perfect mount for my Mercury SP.....

Nice chatting with you and Nick again......

Tom
Old 10-13-2003, 10:46 AM
t33jetman
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Gary,

I am glad to here you have a real winner in your hands, can't wait to see you fly her some more.

Good luck man,

William
Old 10-13-2003, 03:28 PM
HotelSierra
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on the first flights as owner and with your own turbine! I saw Tam fly the same P-80 Skymaster F-15 combo at our jet rally last month. The Skymaster is one strong aircraft, completely composite. The P-80 is certainly enough power to fly the F-15 faster than scale. Most guys using the 28 lb. turbines on these aircrafts say it is for the the vertical manuevers, but to me it looks like the jet is accelerating vertically like a sport jet. Not very realistic looking. Have fun, you made a great choice.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:34 PM
AirPac Models

Congradulations on your successful fly with our F-15! The F-15 that you have is slightly heavier because it is a demo plane for Superman, which consists of 7 tanks and a smoking system. Your P-80 should have more than enough power to push your bird out. (We only used SP-1700 in this plane for Superman with the same weighty)

Since the superman show we've had so many inquiries, it's been hard to keep up with the demand. We apologize for the delay. Your landing gear door will be sent out promptly tomorrow. So don't worry, we haven't forgotten about you.