Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine conversion for "old BVM F-86"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine conversion for "old BVM F-86"

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 12:13 AM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Turbine conversion for "old BVM F-86"

I need the old conversion kit BVM sold for the old F-86 Sabre. I have one of the old models(ducted fan kit) new in the box and I need to get started on it. I want to install the P-70. Before I call BVM, I would like to know if the new instal kit would work with mine. Thanks guys, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:47 AM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turbine conversion for "old BVM F-86"

I have a bypass and a Titanuim pipe for the BVM F86. The pipe is a single wall with a thermal blanket around it and has aluminuim rings for support and roundness. It is new never used and looks very nice. I had a similar system on my Bandit and it worked very well indeed. Let me know if interested. If I sell it here, I will be glad to pay listing fees to RCU.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:57 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

The only way to be sure is to call them. I have an old F-86 new in the box as well waiting for the P-70's to get here that I ordered at FLA JETS. I hope they get here soon as I am getting older by the day and my p160's were on order for over 18 months before I cancelled them and stepped up to the plate for a pair of P-200's.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:09 AM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Man I wish I could find an old BVM F-86. I loved that plane as a ducted fan. Would be a great winter project. Can't afford a new one []
Old 11-02-2003, 01:17 PM
Jetman007
My Feedback: (6)

I have the following Tom Robertson BVM F86 turbine conversion parts available:

- Belly mount Kevlar fuel cell
- Carbon fiber turbine bypass duct and cap
- FD3/67 Mount frame
- FC3/67 Inlet fairing cap

The fuel cell & bypass are used but in good condition. The other parts are new.

I'm sure Tam's Pipes could make you a nice pipe to go with the bypass. The one that came with it was single wall with blanket insulation. Very heavy!

Make offer

Art
Old 11-02-2003, 03:27 PM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Art, I have the same conversion on my F-86 and I am getting close to flying it. Do you know how much fuel this tank holds? I think the BVM fuel tank might be a bit larger but no 100% sure.

Turbulence.

ORIGINAL: Jetman007

I have the following Tom Robertson BVM F86 turbine conversion parts available:

- Belly mount Kevlar fuel cell
Art
Old 11-02-2003, 05:52 PM
Jetman007
My Feedback: (6)

Ralph,

I think it's 50 oz. BV's new one is almost 60 ozs.

What engine you using?
Old 11-02-2003, 10:46 PM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Art.

I got everything set up in there, but now have an itch for speed brakes. RAM 500 powered. 50oz and another 4 for the UAT should be fine. I am just used to having almost twice as much fuel even for a 500. My MB-339 loves the 90oz. I carry. Good for a 9 minuted flight and still land with about 24oz left in the tank.

Turbulence
Old 11-02-2003, 11:36 PM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am probably installing a P-70 in one of the new version F-86's and just had this conversation with David Schulman at BVM last week.
If you are installing a P-70 you will need a bypass that is designed for the P-70 turbine because it is a longer bypass. I don't remember for sure but I think that you need the correct diameter tailpipe as well. A P-80 tailpipe may be ok but I doubt that a RAM-500 size tailpipe will work. Check with BVM to be sure...Gary
Old 11-03-2003, 01:42 AM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gary Jefferson
If you are installing a P-70 you will need a bypass that is designed for the P-70 turbine because it is a longer bypass. If you have seen one of the P-70 engines they are smaller diameter and quite a bit longer in size.
Gary,
The P-70 is NOT longer than the P-80.
The P-70 and the P-80 actually share the same compressor, turbine wheel, bearing support, main shaft, and starter assembly so they are exactly the same length from the front of the starter to the turbine wheel.
You will notice though that the P-70 uses a tailcone similar in design to that of the P-120 and P-160 with no center fairing while the P-80 has a long center fairing inside a short outer fairing. This means that the overall length of the P-80 is actually just slightly more than the P-70.
I agree that it would probably be better to find a bypass that is designed for the P-70 though since the smaller diameter engine will have different flow properties, and it would also be a waste of space if you were to use a full size bypass with an engine that is too small for it.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:05 AM
TommyWatson

I have two "Old" BVM F 86s. The conversion kit that BVM sells is made for the "Old" model.
You get all the new ducting, bypass, tailpipe and everything else you need. As Usual it all fits and works extremly well.
With the turbine conversion you can actually get inside the model and get at things!!.

Regards
Old 11-03-2003, 10:43 AM
Gary Jefferson

Having converted one of the older versions myself, you will be doing yourself a favor if you buy a conversion kit from BVM because it is very complete and includes instructions for the conversion which makes it very easy. Also, the P-70 bypass will be probably be smaller in diameter than a bypass for a larger diameter engine such as a P-80. If this is the case, I would recommend using it because there is very little room to spare in the older model F-86's. It is a very tight package!! GAry
Old 11-03-2003, 01:05 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not sure what you guys are talking about, we tested the P-70 in a RAM 500 bypass. Maybe BV has a new bypass I am not aware of.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:58 PM
Gary Jefferson

Matt, so what you are saying is that I can use the RAM 500 bypass that I currently have with a P-70 engine (and save $200.00) because this is definitely not what David told me at BVM? The bypass I have is marked RAM500/AT180, and unless I missunderstood, according to BVM this will not accept a P-70 engine. Is this the one you used?
Also, I have a BVM tailpipe that says the same thing, will it work with the P-70? Thanks, Gary
Old 11-03-2003, 06:59 PM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

TommyWatson, thanks for your reply. I am going to call them because I need to get started on this project very very soon. This BVM kit is a classic and I am proud that I bought one of the last ones that Bob had. At the time I bought it, Ram had just come out with the 500 and BVM was testing the system. I am glad I never bought the 500. The Jetcat P-70 is what I want. I spoke to Patty and she did tell me they still had the conversion in stock but I really never asked if it was for the P-70. I am away on a trainning mission with the FAA (my employer) and I just have not had the opportunity to call them. I am hopping that they can sell me the "right stuff"
Old 11-03-2003, 07:00 PM
mr_matt

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I have held a P-70 in my hand and BV has probabaly 100 flights on one, so I would go with what he says :-)

I was referring more to the comments about a P-80 sized bypass, I knew it did not need one of those. I would definietly buy what BVM is selling.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:51 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A P-70 is 3.7 inches in diameter.
An AMT Mercury/180 is 3.9 inches in diameter.
A Ram 500 and their cousins are 3.5 inches in diameter.

The P-70 falls right in between the AMT and the 500 size engines in diameter. BV's web site lists part #'s T329 (Bypass) an part # T326 (Cover) for all 500 size engines and the AMT Mercury/180 engines. Since the P-70 falls right in between, I would guess that this bypass and cover would work with the P-70.

Kevin
Old 11-03-2003, 09:58 PM
TommyWatson

ORIGINAL: ledd4u

TommyWatson, thanks for your reply. I am going to call them because I need to get started on this project very very soon. This BVM kit is a classic and I am proud that I bought one of the last ones that Bob had. At the time I bought it, Ram had just come out with the 500 and BVM was testing the system. I am glad I never bought the 500. The Jetcat P-70 is what I want. I spoke to Patty and she did tell me they still had the conversion in stock but I really never asked if it was for the P-70. I am away on a trainning mission with the FAA (my employer) and I just have not had the opportunity to call them. I am hopping that they can sell me the "right stuff"
I guess i may have misunderstood the question. I missed the part about using another engine other than the RAM etc.
My F86 is the early model and was flown as a Ducted Fan. The conversion kit i got from BVM was for this model. Everything in the instructions and all the parts relate to the old model. I was not aware there was a conversion kit for the newer F86.

My second F86 is a partly finished model that has never been flown. but the conversion was exactly the same.

Mine has a Wren54 and I used the RAM 500 mounting straps.

I don't know about any other engine. You may need to adjust the position of the engine in the bypass bulge.

Regards
Old 11-04-2003, 01:58 AM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

[/quote]

Gary,
The P-70 is NOT longer than the P-80.
The P-70 and the P-80 actually share the same compressor, turbine wheel, bearing support, main shaft, and starter assembly so they are exactly the same length from the front of the starter to the turbine wheel.
You will notice though that the P-70 uses a tailcone similar in design to that of the P-120 and P-160 with no center fairing while the P-80 has a long center fairing inside a short outer fairing. This means that the overall length of the P-80 is actually just slightly more than the P-70.
I agree that it would probably be better to find a bypass that is designed for the P-70 though since the smaller diameter engine will have different flow properties, and it would also be a waste of space if you were to use a full size bypass with an engine that is too small for it.
[/quote]

Hi kevin:

I just got a P70 and it has a P80 type tail cone not a P120 type cone. This P70 has a short outer nozzle and a long inner cone just like the older P80.

The length of the P70 is very close to the P80 like you mentoined.

Just FYI [&:]
Old 11-04-2003, 04:26 PM
diceman

If Bob still sells it, buy the complete conversion package. I did my 86 from an older kit and from scratch is't a breeze. Don't cut yourself short. do it the right way.