Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Whats the Difference Between Jet-A And Kerosene?

What is the difference between Jet-A fuel and Kerosene and which is better? Thanks for your input!! Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The difference is......

The smell

Jet A stinks up everything while kero is smell friendly

david

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

smell of victory in the morning

Why, the smell of victory in the morning of course!

Sorry - that was too good of a straight line to pass up. And quite by accident, I just happened to be lisitening to my Vietnam: Rockin' the Delta CD and a particular song about Valkyries started playing as I read your thread line.
    Don W. Shanks
    Spitfire Brotherhood #89.
    P-39 Airacobra Brotherhood #28.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kero-Jet A

The biggest difference is the price and availability. Here in Fayetteville, NC the availability year round is about 3 out of 5 stations carry it. One day for laughs I counted 37 outlets that carried K-1 Kero. I tried to buy 3 gallons of Jet-a when I bought my first AMT. I was in Military Uniform and 3 of the local airport fuel stations looked at me like I was insane. They must have thought I was up to no good by not having an aircraft next to me. The excuse they used was they could not sell a potential hazard in that small of an increment going into a container other than an A/C. I think it was just laziness.
    The price here by the way is $1.21 for Kero and about $2.35 for Jet A. AMT USA recommends either, but once you use one type stick with it (plus 5% turbine oil of course).
    Ken H
    \"Just go fly something\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jet fuel has tighter specs than kero. Jet A will have a conductivity of 50 or greater and has stabilizers added to the final product. Kerosene is a much more raw form of jet fuel and is a main ingredient in diesel.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"The excuse they used was they could not sell a potential hazard in that small of an increment going into a container other than an A/C. I think it was just laziness. "

KXH121, actually most FBO's (Fixed Base Operators , the guys who sell the fuel at small airports), are restricted to only sell fuel that is going into an airplane, helicopter or jet.
    I had the same problem at my airport, but eventually got to know the airport manager, and brought my F-15 down and showed him why I wanted to buy the fuel. Everyone was interested, and he agreed to sell it to me.
    But they do have the right not to sell it, they could loose their license.
    CZ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jet A

I have been told that the BTU rating is better in Jet-A....In Houston we are fortunate to have several locations to buy Jet-A. Mine is from a small airport in Montgomery.....I bring 15 gallon cans and they too love the model jet I showed them.

Be careful with kero as it is not always as pure as the Jet-A

Kevin
    Kevin Thoele
    Texas Jets Group

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chris and otheres: is there a definite FAA or other regulation that prohibits them from selling to someone other than a guy in a plane? Anyone know for certain? Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Guys!

Thank you guys for all of the input! I think I will go with the Jet-A since it is availible in South Florida. As for this thread I will not be deleting it, as someone else may have the same question!! Thanks Again! Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

woketman,
    I looked it up in the FAR's and came up with nothing specific. The general feeling is that the airport manager selling the fuel has the final say. The FBO's have received all kinds of circular advisories from the FAA and the FBI on what they can and cannot do.
    You can't really blame an airport for not selling fuel if he or she feels threatened by the FBI.
    Personally, I am very fortunate that I can get Jet A, I wouldn't use anything less. I know guys have no choice, and have to use K-1 but I do. I rather use Jet-A, after all, if it's good enough to be burned in a 20 million dollar Biz jet, then it's good enough for me.
    Jet-A is more refined, cleaner, and Prist is already added for keeping the growth of algae down.
    Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The law says

The local guys I was talking about acted as if I was testing them. The fact I was in uniform (U.S. Army Special Forces) may have intimidated them more. I don't know because I never went back. They never stated any FAA, Federal or Local laws to prevent the sale, they just said "nope cant do it". I told them what it was for and they said "A radio controlled what?".........you know the rest.

On another note, If you ever look at a label at a gas staion pump it says "It is illegal to place gasoline in any glass container or other container not otherwise intended for fuel". Not enforced much down here with the lawn mower vs quick stop attendant crowd. Has nothing to do with this subject but people tend to do what they want when they think they can get away with it. I am sure the airport guys had a reason as stated by CZONIO.

The airport that we fly from now is very receptive in selling Jet A because they have come to know us, but the airport is closed on the weekends....our prime flying time. Any Jet A sells has to be done before 4:00 pm on Friday, not so bad but I drive 35 miles to the airport versus passing 50 plus gas stations that sell Kero on the way there. BTW, I won't use the red dyed tax free or whatever stuff, dont know enough about it and I as I said there are alot of stations to choose from.

Bottom line: So far Kero has worked for me and the guy in the enclosed pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10582_2683.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	7234  
    Ken H
    \"Just go fly something\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't think there is a FAA reg specifically stating that you can't PUT jet fuel into anything but an airplane but all the FBO's at SLC International hold to that policy. Pre-9-11 I could buy Jet A from the International airport but since then they have really tighened their belts. They gave me the "it has to go in an airplane" shpeal so I said I'd bring in my Hot Spot and have them fill it 5 times. After that they let me talk to the manager and he let me do it and really thought my planes were cool. Their latest excuse is that there's some haz mat regulation that prevents it.

If you're having trouble getting Jet A from one airport, go to another. Chances are the smaller the airport the more likely you'll be to get what you want. To solve my problem I just drive 15 minuets farther to a smaller airport that sells it to me no questions asked.
    Mark
    a10flyr**the taller**

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jet-A versus kerosene

Jet-A offers absolutely no advantage over kerosene for model jet engines. The best possible fuel you can use is either Parks, Crowne, or Kleanstrip kerosene that comes in five gallon cans and is available through most hardware stores, sometimes by special order. This is the type of fuel that many of us JetCat users run and have great success with.

A major advantage of canned kerosene is much, much lower odor. Spill a drop of Jet-A in your car and it will stink for life. I've been using Kleanstrip kerosene and got some on my shirt the other day. Not only did it not smell that bad, but the odor completely dissipated in about 30 minutes. No residual odor at all! It is almost impossible to get rid of the odor of Jet-A.

The major disadvantage is that canned kerosene is not cheap. Crown or Parks usually goes for 20-25 dollars per five gallon can. Kleanstrip is less expensive, forum members have reported getting it for as little as 13 dollars at Lowe's. Here on the east coast canned kerosene is never stocked by hardware stores, it has to be special ordered, so I wind up paying 19 bucks a can for Kleanstrip special ordered from Ace Hardware.

My JetCat runs just as well if not better on Kleanstrip than the kerosene I was buying from the gas station pump, which was cheaper yet than Jet-A but smelled almost as bad. I've been very happy with the Kleanstrip and plan to continue using it.
    I love the smell of jet fumes in the morning!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with you on the smell, Jet A does stink!
    Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

JET A

Jet A is a higher refined version of kerosene. It has additives to make it more stable(does not freeze as easy) and to help control the formation of bacteria in tanks(prist). As far as being regulated its not. It commonly gets confused with Av Gas that can not be sold to be used on the road because it is not road taxed.

Mitchell

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kleanstrip kero

Dustflyer,

I agree with you 100%, I have used Kleanstrip and Parks Kero from Ace with zero problems. Its got to me a male hormone thing to drive 100miles to an airport and BEG for some "jet-A" when plain ole kero works the same and is user friendly. Whats funny is out here in Phoenix, the hotest place on earth all of the Ace hardware stores have kero on the shelf all year round!!

Vin...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Re: JET A

Originally posted by Mitchell
    Jet A is a higher refined version of kerosene. It has additives to make it more stable(does not freeze as easy) and to help control the formation of bacteria in tanks(prist). As far as being regulated its not. It commonly gets confused with Av Gas that can not be sold to be used on the road because it is not road taxed.

Mitchell
    I used to purchase AvGas for my vehicle on a regular bases. drove it right to the airport.

thats is, until i discovered Toulene
    Please, think of the kittens.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Avgas

So have I. But that does not make it legal. You can ask your boss to pay you in cash so you don't have to pay taxes.

Mitchell

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kleanstrip

Vince,

That really is amazing. Out here, where you freeze your butt off half the time it is nearly impossible to get canned kerosene. No one seems to know why. I found; however, if you are persistent some hardware or even paint stores will get it for you. I'm very happy to have found a source for the Kleanstrip, it really is fantastic stuff. While it may not smell like Jet-A going in, it sure smells the same coming out!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kleanstrip vs. Jet-A

Mitchell,

I am not a chemist but I'm not so sure Jet-A is more highly refined than 1K kero, it may be the other way around.

Keep in mind that canned 1K kerosene is manufactured to be as pure as possible for use indoors in kerosene heaters. It is low-sulfur and low residue, whatever that is supposed to mean. Jet-A just gets blown out the back of a jet engine, and most big jets not only have filtration but fuel heaters as well.

I love to hear from some actual chemists or petroleum engineers on this.

I do remember Tad from Goldenwest as well as some other highly experienced JetCat users (hundreds and hundreds of flights)telling me that Jet-A is not as clean as 1K. Based on my experience so far I would have to agree.

Use Jet-A if it makes you feel better or if it's all you can get, but if you want the cleanest, least offensive and probably best running fuel go for the Kleanstrip, Crown or Parks kero in the five gallon can.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

At least where I get it (Slidell Airport here in Slidell, LA), the Jet A ain't so clean. I end up with all kinds of crap in the bottom of my jugs. It filter the hell out of it so the engine does not see the particulates, but it still is an eye opener!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dirty Jet-A

Woketman,

There you go! Thanks, that's what others have told me.

Try the canned stuff if you can get it. You'll love it!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought 5 gallons of canned from Home Depot, but it was OUTRAGEOUSLY pricey. A local hardware store has a tank that they fill your carry ins out of for about $2.00 a gallon (I pay $1.85 for Jet A). I intend to try that soon. The canned stuff did not smell bad at all, as others have stated.