Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

F-16 engine recommendation

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

F-16 engine recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 04:59 PM
Oosiksmith
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-16 engine recommendation

I've read many forums on which engine should be used to fly the CBM F-16N and they all say the same thing: YS .45RE. No exceptions. Only problem, I contacted YS and they said they no longer produce this engine. Even if you get a good used one, parts may become an issue.

My question is, what other engines have proven successful in this plane? Is there another pumped engine available which could be used and, like the YS .45RE, has a rear exhaust that can be entirely hidden in the fuselage?

I'm not actually building a CBM F-16N but am making an old YA F-16A into a pusher and need a recommendation. My plane has the new YA F-16C custom landing gear and should weigh about the same as the regular set-up. I'm trying to stay away from having to tap an engine and install a Perry (or similar) pump set-up. Thanks.

Tim
Old 11-15-2003, 08:24 PM
iflynething

Default RE: F-16 engine recommendation

Well, if YS doesn't make that model anymore then you should get the O.S. .46 FX if you can. That would be a great match. You should go to Jets since you aren't really using a jet engine. Try, um........I'm thinking Engines, Giant Engines & Fuel Talk. I'm thinking that you should get an anser from there. What the span and the wt. Go there ^ and see what you find out. I'm sure you'll find something. Hope that this helped.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:35 PM
JohnnyA

With respect to iflynething, I think he might have meant OS 46 VX DF or 46 VR DF. The 46FX is a sport engine nowhere near comparable to the YS45RE.
JA
Old 11-16-2003, 12:16 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

It is not that ahrd to find a RE version of the YS-45, try the marketplace and E-Bay...

I have read where someone had success with a Jett-50 (dunno if it was rear exh.) but a pump would be necessary with the F-16N- I am not familiar with the DF conversion you are going to do- Where are the tanks on the Yellow?

I think a K&B 7.5 would probably work well but with anything other than the YS you are on your own!

How much is the F-16 gonna weigh?

Best of luck,
james
Old 11-16-2003, 11:37 AM
Oosiksmith

I am building the plane with a pusher engine, but all the major components will be installed as if it were ducted fan. The pusher engine will be installed on rails attached to the internal bulkheads, which will be easily removed later so I can drop in a fan if I wish. I'm using twin saddle tanks mounted just rear of the cockpit area above the ducting. The major changes I may use are a heavier battery in the nose and possibly mounting all the servos under the cockpit area. I think the plane will come in around 10 pounds. None of the ducting except the intake ducting will be installed in this configuration.