Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Indian Fire Pump

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Indian Fire Pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 11:14 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indian Fire Pump

There was a deal on Indian Fire Pumps some time ago. Anyone remember who was offering this and what the cost was? Thanks, Keith.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:43 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Indian Fire Pump

Keith

Go to www.forestry-suppliers.com for the info on the fire cans. There was something on RCU about them but couldn't find it. They were offering a 10% discount to JPO. Not sure what the cost was.

Also, go to bvm.com and click safety issues and there is a link to a couple of sites that sell them.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:50 PM
hornetd

Hi
Lowest price I have found on a new one is one hundred twenty one dollars ($121) from Lab Safety Supply. If anyone knows of a lower cost vedor please speak up!

Tom Horne

ORIGINAL: pilott28

There was a deal on Indian Fire Pumps some time ago. Anyone remember who was offering this and what the cost was? Thanks, Keith.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:57 PM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

harbor freight?
Old 05-25-2011, 02:36 PM
jkeze
My Feedback: (36)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want them to last get the plastic ones that they sell. After about 7 seasons of having the water in them, when I filled them up for this years flying season both of our had leaks in them. Some around the edges and pin holes where they did some welding on them.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought one of those industrial stainless steel cylinder fire extinguishers off eBay for about $35. You service it with an air compressor. I take it to the field with water (about 3.5 gallons worth) and about 120 psi. It's a high volume tank, you need something larger than a small hand held air compressor to fill it with but you might be able to find a deal on eBay. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The Indian Fire Pumps are better though (and more expensive).
Old 05-25-2011, 07:37 PM
hornetd

What are you buying from harbor freight that you think is the equivelant of a DBSmith Indian Pump backpack fire extinguisher?

Tom Horne

ORIGINAL: A10FLYR

harbor freight?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:20 PM
A10FLYR

Who said it was equivelant of the Indian? Who says it isn't good enough for what he wants? The man asked for a better price, not bragging rights! Jeesshh!!!!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:10 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

I got mine a Gempler's. 4 gallon plastic and I think it was around $125. They have several different modelsmetal and plastic, even a backpack bag type model that allows you to store in a smaller space. Best thing about the Indian pump is it has both a high pressure and spray nozzle.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:54 AM
A10FLYR

ORIGINAL: A10FLYR

Who said it was equivelant of the Indian? Who says it isn't good enough for what he wants? The man asked for a better price, not bragging rights! Jeesshh!!!!
I apologise for being too abrupt there. Sorry...
Old 05-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Molar mender

I bought the Harbor Freight 4 gal backpack sprayer about 2-3 years ago and I always carry it with me. I paid $35 for it then but notice it is on sale for $30 at http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ckpack+sprayer
Haven't used it on a jet fire yet but works well when a neighbors campfire got out of hand last year. It is light to carry, has different nozzles to vary your spray pattern and has a large mouth to fill with water quickly. I usually carry it empty and then fill when I am at an event or just going camping. Works for me.

Roy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73676.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	1614787  
Old 05-26-2011, 10:09 AM
hornetd

The only reason that I asked about the Harbor Freight item is that I looked at there fire extinguisher offerings and did not see any that I would think adequate for attacking a going ground cover fire.  The various sprayers usually have too small a flow  to knock down a fire in ground cover fuels.  They will thus give you a false sense of security.  You will not regret having bought the real thing when your attacking a fire in tall grass or brush.  Also you can fit the Indian Cans with a foam nozzle and put a small amount of Class A foam in the water and double it's effectiveness.  That is not an option with a chemical sprayer.

In case anyone is wondering why I'm so insistent on this point it is because I fought wildland fires for six fire seasons.  A fire Season is usually seven to nine months in California were I was serving.  I was stationed for two years at Sunol Forest Fire Station which is near Pleasanton CA.  During those two seasons we fought five fires that were the result of model rocket launches gone bad.  IN at least three of those cases they could have stopped the fires at a few square yards with a backpack pump fire extinguisher such as the DB Smith Indian.  I certainly wasn't trying to put anyone down but rather to warn against using makeshift devices in place of real fire extinguishers.  Considering what is invested in getting permission to use a given sight for model aircraft flights I would think that any flying club might want to spend the one hundred thirty dollars on the real thing.  In case anyone is looking that is the price from Lab Safety Supply for the five gallon plastic version that should last a decade or more.  The pumps are replaceable and field serviceable.  I should point out that my only relationship with any of these is as a customer.  I still manage fire protection issues for three church summer camps.

Tom Horne