Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Top Gun F-15 - CG & Throws?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Top Gun F-15 - CG & Throws?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 12:51 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Gun F-15 - CG & Throws?

I just bought a used Top Gun F-15 and need to know the CG location and the control throws? Can anybody help? Thanks.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:17 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Top Gun F-15 - CG & Throws?

Measure out on each wing leading edge 11 inches, the line that will connect this point on each wing will be the balance point fo rall TGA F-15s. This is consertive and will most likly be a bit nose heavy, But nose heavy is best for first flights.

I use all the up elevator I can get, on high rate. At least 1 inch, with about 35 % expo. Ail depends on if you have the scale wing or the sport wing with the strip ailerons. More travel for the scale version. (They're Smaller) I use 3/4 inch up and down on the scale wing. #/8 would probably ba OK for the sport wings strip ailerons.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:26 AM
maverick

ORIGINAL: Terry Holston

#/8 would probably ba OK for the sport wings strip ailerons.
Thanks Terry. I haven't got it yet but from memory I believe it has strip ailerons, so I guess it is the sport wing. So is that 3/8" for ailerons?
Old 11-21-2003, 08:23 PM
Terry Holston

Yeah, 3/8". Ha Ha That's what I get for not proof reading close enough.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:43 PM
maverick

Any idea how much runway for takeoff this thing will need? I will be flying off a paved runway and it is the byron version with an OS .91 VR-DF and the sport wing.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:33 PM
Terry Holston

Is it one of the new versions IE: Ultra Eagle III with large rectangular engine hatch, panel lines and molded in gun port and stuff. Or one of the older versions with the "Odd" shaped hatch and no molded in details?

The New one is a wee bit heavier,and will take a bit more runway. Either should be up in less than 250 feet from a paved runway. About 350 from grass. Also make sure you have a bit of positive angle of attack. That is: a bit of nose up attitude when the plane is sitting still. Otherwisr you may just have a fast three wheel car. LOL

You want to set the nose gear steering on dual rates and have the low rate set to have no more than 1/8" movement either way off center. Too much nose gear movement will end up with scraped wing tips. Get it on the center line and advance the throttle slowly, giving yourself enough time to stay ahead of the plane.

I also shim the main gearwith washers to give a wider stance. 1/16" washer will add 3/8" on each side, making 3/4" wider gear track. With the F-15 narrow main gear, this helps a bunch!!!

Have fun
Old 11-22-2003, 09:01 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Our TGA/ Byron F-15 got off pavement in about 200 feet in no headwind- We did hold onto her with full throttle then let go

I love that plane-
james
Old 11-23-2003, 10:24 PM
maverick

Well I have 450 feet to play with so I should be OK. Thanks for the tip on the nosewheel steering and AOA. As for which version I am getting, I haven't received it yet, but I think it is the older one without the panel lines. I didn't see any panel lines in the photos I got and the hatch curves in towards the front, so from your description I think it must be the older one.