Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Terror In The Sky

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Terror In The Sky

Old 05-20-2002, 10:51 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default woketman

I see that all of you have taken my coments out of context of my meaning. As for a axe to grind I have none, and for woketman since he and I are long time friends I bet he can see my point since he was my instructor back in 77. So I'll just have to be the bad guy as all of you have put that one me, I was just trying to pass on that we as turbine pilots should be enjoying our hobby not in TERROR while flying. I don't know bout you but I don't want to be at the field with any pilot who is in TERROR while I'm up in the air. Think about the TERROR in that poor guys mind who hit himself and is now gone because of an acciedent over the weekend. I thank god it wasn't one of us and the AMA going nuts about it. The END
Old 05-20-2002, 11:56 PM
A10FLYER

Default Terror In The Sky

The "rush" is what it's all about! I get an adrenaline rush from flying turbines, esepcially on the first flight of an airplane or the season. Yes, it's mixed nervousness and adrenaline but I think it's good to be on your toes just like everyone else has already said. I had my first turbine crash 2 weekends ago due to a failed servo and it's hard to get over but stuff like that happens. I guess that if you don't want the rush and want to make sure nothing happens to your plane, leave the plane at home, fly something else. I love this hobby and everything I've done for the rush is worth it! My advice is to get over the nervousness enjoy the adrenaline and quit adding up the costs of your airplanes!!!

Happy Landings,
Old 05-21-2002, 03:02 AM
14th_Reaper
My Feedback: (-1)

Default my thoughts

I can see and appreciate Ron's point and statement very clearly. If you are ever in over your head in any situation, no matter what the event may be, it tends to increase your level of concentration. If that level of concentration or "terror" makes you uncomfortable then you shouldn't be doing it until you can do so without the terror. As for me, I'd like to have the brain surgeon to be "nervous" but not terrified about what he was doing. Obviously Brian can fly whatever plane he feels comfortable with and if he has a turbine he is much more comfortable than I am at this point. The fact that he was attentive enough to realize the tendencies of the Rafale speaks volumes about his abilities.
Old 05-21-2002, 03:03 AM
14th_Reaper
My Feedback: (-1)

The event that led to poor Mr. Wallace's death should be a wake up call for us all to pay attention to what we are doing as well as what those around us. I think it takes courage for Brian to bring this point to our attention and also for Ron to point out that we have to police our own abilities as R/C pilots. The joy in this hobby for me comes in seeing a pile of sticks flying, and not worrying about whether I am going to hurt someone or destroy their property. We all have a comfort level with what we can do. We need to push this level so that we may continue to grow but not push so hard that it endangers ourselves or those around us.

In no way do I interpret what Ron said to be negative in any light, he just said what needs to be said. If you can't handle or don't think you can handle it, at least have someone along side you that can.

And thanks to Brian for being man enough to say that sometimes he is concerned about his own abilities. I for one would have no problem being at a field where he flys.

Kevin B.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:19 AM
Brian B
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks to all of you who replied to this thread. It is good to know that others feel anxiety when flying jets. It's probably not important at this point, but I think I may not have stated my feelings about flying jets as clearly as I might have. The "terror" only happens once in a great while when I think the end has come for my plane. Like Sunday when my Rafale seemed doomed.

The anxiety and apprehension, though, are always there, and do not arise from a lack of confidence. I never feel that I cannot handle the plane. No, what makes me worry is the fact that I know my plane is at risk, no matter how well I fly. Our jets are expensive and can represent hundreds of hours of work. There is a lot to lose with one of these planes.

However, they are complex beasts. There is a lot that can, and does, go wrong.

I think about Deland, 2001, where BV, the man himself, crashed his F-86 into the unforgiving asphalt due to radio failure.

I think about Florida Jets this year where a lovely Rafale, flown by Larry Kramer (I believe) rolled over on takeoff and smashed into the runway. I heard it was some weird gyro failure.

I think about Top Gun this year, where Terry Nitsch lost his magnificent Rafale to a freak accident.

These pilots are among the best in the business, flying well prepared and maintained planes. And yet disaster struck. If it can happen to them, it can sure happen to me.

Sure, the risk comes with the territory and I accept it. But it does not please me. The bottom line is that the payoff is worth it. The orgasmic thrill that I get from flying these things is worth the shaky hands and occasional moments of stark terror. It is a wonderful hobby that I plan to continue, no matter what, until I can't hold a transmitter anymore.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:46 AM
BASHER
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default keep it up davidr

hey im just a poor painter from pittsburgh, but i love every aspect of flying, even though i wouldnt put that kind of $$ into a model ( cause i dont have it+ my wife would kill me) the feelings you describe are esactly why we fly, its that rush, i get it even from park flyers!!! the day that this goes away will be the day i proabaly stop flying, just got to experiance it yesterday when i took this out for its maiden, yea baby it rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

f/a-18 bug edf 39.05 oz. auw
25in.wingspan 80+ mph
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11803_2002.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	7839  
Old 05-21-2002, 08:49 AM
BASHER
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pic2

/

Name:	11804_2002.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	7840  
Old 05-21-2002, 10:13 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I too feel as many of you do. I get nervous as hell after not flying for a while. But 90% of my nervousness derives from the fact that, when things go horribly awry (and they do), my recovery time is so long. With two babies and tons of overtime at work, my building time has been reduced to nearly zero. That is why I am very interested in the new ARF jets. I also agree with Ron that if you feel the need to use the word terror, jets may not be for you. I think Brian just used too strong a word. The only terror I feel is showing up at home with a $10,000 pile of rubble and the wife understans the $$$ part!
Old 05-21-2002, 08:38 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If its gonna happen, its gonna happen. Do a slow thurough preflight (I made a list for my Bandit), & go for the gusto baby!!!
Heres a theory that makes it easier for me.When I do dirtbike jumps or wheelie a racing bike or even think of the feeling before a fight (not that anyone should be fighting) but thats all high risk nerve recking stuff, atleast with RC your only risking money, 99% of the time you'll just put out the fire & walk away!!
dont think all will relate, but just my 2 cents
Jermaine
Old 05-21-2002, 09:12 PM
six shooter

Default Sky terror continued

If you guys know what good for you, you'll be wearing one of these jewels when you fly.

Name:	11845_831.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	7841  
Old 05-23-2002, 01:48 AM
azblue

Default If you...

I shake a little when i fly a turbine....it's more adrenalin than nerves

Andy
Old 10-17-2002, 11:54 AM
birdseed

Maybe the reason the first poster hasnt crashed is because he still has that healthy sense of fear about him.

Ive heard it said, and i dont entirely believe it, that if youre not crashing ( referring to helis) then youre not pushing yourself. i think if youre not scaring yourself youre unlikely to be advancing ( youre not trying new things)

I had 3 crashes of a 30 size heli in a year and a half and learnt a lot. Since then, ive crashed a 60 once ( aileron servo screw fell out) took me three months to affod to rebuild it and that was 18 months ago. Im only now getting the confidence back to risk the three month down time again by doing the same manoevers i was doing 18 months ago.

( twinjets dont give the same fear, who cares if they crash)
Old 10-17-2002, 04:41 PM
L Turner
My Feedback: (3)

Default Less terror

Hi Brian,

Perhaps less 'terror' and more fun would equate with an aircraft that flies better than a brick, something with a wing loading less than 35 oz/sq ft.

Imagine, something like a turbo-prop Pliatus Porter. The people at Great Northern are on the right track with their FACET design (See the Simjet thread). A kero burning model that could be flown all the time for fun, in addition to a yank & bank scale fighter, Roo or Bobcat.

Looking forward to Arrowhead next spring, should be ready to go with my R500 JHH Cougar.

Larry
Old 10-17-2002, 05:59 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally posted by birdseed
Maybe the reason the first poster hasnt crashed is because he still has that healthy sense of fear about him.

Ive heard it said, and i dont entirely believe it, that if youre not crashing ( referring to helis) then youre not pushing yourself. i think if youre not scaring yourself youre unlikely to be advancing ( youre not trying new things)

I had 3 crashes of a 30 size heli in a year and a half and learnt a lot. Since then, ive crashed a 60 once ( aileron servo screw fell out) took me three months to affod to rebuild it and that was 18 months ago. Im only now getting the confidence back to risk the three month down time again by doing the same manoevers i was doing 18 months ago.

( twinjets dont give the same fear, who cares if they crash)

Mr. Seed (if that is your real name ),

Having flown both helis and turbines, like many here, I can say that there isn't much a comparison in terms of crash damage and the fear it generates in the pilot. I have smashed the $&#*@ out of my Raptor 30 many times (at least 6) and no matter what you do, or how bad it looks, part of a wrecked heli will fly again. In my case, the repair bill for the Raptor has never topped $250. The same can NOT be said for a jet. Many jet crashes result in a TOTAL distruction of the aircraft and ALL its contents (see the crash video in here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...825&forumid=26)

Also, in spite of my being extremely lavish in appointing my Fury Expert 60 with all the bells and whistles, I have less than 1/2 of the $ in it that I have in my Kangaroo.

Both of those factors make a big difference in my perception of how much a risk I am taking when I fly each one.

Bobb
Old 07-27-2009, 10:48 AM
KevinBarr
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Terror In The Sky

Still the best one....
Old 07-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Pete737

Default RE: woketman

My hands don't shake, They never did. I wondered if they would for turbines but they do not. The weird thing is that they get cold, REAL COLD, ICE COLD, Just ask Art Arro . I think my body's way of dealing with this type/level of anxiety is reducing (er completely cutting off) the circulation to my hands..Strange..

Pete
Old 07-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Vettdriver

I love it.
I have been fortunate enough to own a hundred other go fast "toys"

NONE of them are as much fun as my RC Jets. (Most of the others could get me more girls)

However,
When I went to maiden my new F-16 I though I would warm-up with my Falcon 120 conversion.
I had flown this plane a 100 times and except for some troublesome landing gear it was a breeze to fly.

On this particular day it hung up a right main and instead of landing and just scratching up the wingtip again I decided to cycle the gear a couple of times. I was going to MAKE that gear leg come down !!!
The gear issue took me out of my routine and I lost awareness of airspeed. Not knowing if the turbine would spool up before it reached the lake I had to turn back into the pattern, loosing even more altittude, and I flopped it down flat at show center just as she was starting to gain airspeed again. Luckly it was flat and the airframe took the beating.

Did I screw up . . . twice. Once with the airspeed and once with the turn while waiting for the turbine to spool.
Did I know what went wrong, yes.
Did it bum me out and keep me from flying the F-16 that day, YES

That was 5 weeks ago and I finally got around to doing the maiden yesterday.
Totally uneventful. A total rush and she looks killer in the air.
BUT, I was nervous as I could be until it broke free of the ground.
Once in the air, the reflexes take over and you bring it back home.

Once it landed it was High 5's with everyone.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Feels weird to look at a thread, and see a post from the late, great, Rich Fong (six shooter).

Miss that guy... []
Old 07-27-2009, 12:51 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Woketman
The only terror I feel is showing up at home with a $10,000 pile of rubble and the wife understans the $$$ part!
I get the same terror when I show up at home with a $10,000 jet in pristine condition that I couldn't resist buying. "Uh, Sweetie, it's really worth a lot more...honest."
Old 07-27-2009, 01:53 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

"I have never crashed a jet, but have come very close a bunch of times."

Brian,

Once you cross that threshold, (eventually you will, we all have,) you'll find out whether flying these expensive toys is really for you or not. You'll either be so devastated you'll never want to risk experiencing it again, or you'll miss it so much you'll be on the phone ordering something new, sooner than you think. Until that moment, enjoy the ride!

David S
Old 07-27-2009, 02:03 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

Feels weird to look at a thread, and see a post from the late, great, Rich Fong (six shooter).

Miss that guy... []
Gordon, your observation gave us a great perspective: It is better to to live and fly intensely without fear, because everyone have their days counted.

Enrique
Old 07-27-2009, 02:16 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

Miss that guy... []
Was it Rich Fongs jet collection that went up for sale on RCU a couple of years ago? Something like 20 really nice scale jets? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Andy
Old 07-27-2009, 07:11 PM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: Pete737

My hands don't shake, They never did. I wondered if they would for turbines but they do not. The weird thing is that they get cold, REAL COLD, ICE COLD, Just ask Art Arro . I think my body's way of dealing with this type/level of anxiety is reducing (er completely cutting off) the circulation to my hands..Strange..

Pete
TRUE
I'm a witness to your statement... I notice not one shake with your hands while you're flying, but damn.. you could hold a beer mug and frost it after a flight.

At times I shake like I have Parkinsons Disease.[8D]
Old 07-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Pete737

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: Pete737

Pete
TRUE
I'm a witness to your statement... I notice not one shake with your hands while you're flying, but damn.. you could hold a beer mug and frost it after a flight.

At times I shake like I have Parkinsons Disease.[8D]
Yeah Mike, but you would never know you shake by the way you fly..SMOOOTH!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:05 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Even though this thread is more than 7 years old, it's still relevant and even seven years more of flying probably won't change the fact that everyone gets a little nervous flying their jets.
I had the same feeling every time I flew an ultralight but loved every second of it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.