Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JPO Position Paper Regarding The New Turbine Regulations

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JPO Position Paper Regarding The New Turbine Regulations

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: JPO Position Paper Regarding The New Turbine Regulations

200 MPH speed limit ???

How can it truely be done??? Gound speed or Indicated air speed or true airspeed ???

My jetcat and Mini hobbies speed limiters both use a pitot tube and static port, neither can compensate for headwind, tailwind or crosswind componet. And then there is calibration and certification of these devices. Who is responsible for that?
Old 01-28-2004, 12:28 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: J_R

2. The argument of “mean time between failure” appears to be a poor use of logic.
My main problem with a required speed limiter is that I don't want any engine system component that was not made by the engine manufacturer to be in the mix. That's just asking for trouble. Ever try to call a tech support line? They always seem to tell you to call the manufacturer of the other component in the system made by someone else....even though the tech support from the other company just told you the same thing.....
Old 01-28-2004, 08:13 AM
RPMTech1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall the proposed rules seem to correct the more erroneous theory present in the current rules but I'm not sure that I agree with the elimination of the ground school requirement as this seems to me to be the primary source of information to those just getting started in turbine powered modeling - at least it was the most informative part of the waiver acquisition process for me. A notarized signature from one of the witnesses is not going to be of much help to anyone.

The non-notarized signatures of two to three witnesses is not acceptable to the AMA? Notarized signatures and multiple witnesses are not even required to get a pilot certificate from the FAA. Who comes up with this nonsense? This is a hobby, is it not? What's next, turbine police?

I also don't follow the logic that says a single turbine installation must be limited to less thrust than a multi-turbine installation, regardless the engine out performance characteristics of a multi-turbine powered model. If I build a multi-turbine model (a 55 pound F-15 or F18 for example) and choose to power it with a single turbine blowing through a bifurcated pipe, why should I be penalized 5 pounds of thrust? I agree with a previous poster that the rule should simply state maximum allowable thrust regardless the number of turbines installed - then design the model for engine out performance accordingly if that is your design goal. And since thrust to weight ratio is being eliminated as inconsequential to limiting speed, FINALLY, why limit maximum allowable thrust to 50 pounds when the maximum allowable weight of a model is 55 pounds? Why any thrust limitation at all since a speed limitation is being specified?

Things that make you go, "hmmm".
Old 01-28-2004, 09:32 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Reid,
What's next? Go to the AMA forum and look at the thread about random drug testing.
Jon
Old 01-28-2004, 09:39 AM
RPMTech1

ORIGINAL: F106A

Hi Reid,
What's next? Go to the AMA forum and look at the thread about random drug testing.
Jon

ARE YOU SERIOUS!?

"His wingman kept requesting permission to fire". "This stuff is gonna get outa hand and somebodies gonna get hurt"!