Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Removing Fan from shroud

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Removing Fan from shroud

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 10:06 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing Fan from shroud

MAN, do I have a lot to learn!!

Well, got the fan off thanks to ya'll, however, the OS don't fit the Viojet without some kind of adapter for the rotor. Nothing's easy, eh?

Guess I'll just stick the BVM back in it, and use the OS/Ramtec or Dynamax for my Starfire. Shoot,I really wanted to put a new Viofan/BVM .91 in that one and use the OS's for training with this one (Regal Eagle).

Thanks again guys,

Gary
Old 06-15-2002, 12:47 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Back to the original question

Sometimes the rotor seems frozen to the engine crankshaft. Some techniques to remove:

1. Unbolt the engine from the housing, push the rotor & engine back so the rotor is against the turbine housing. Put the nut back on the crank two or three turns and use as a block to hit with a hammer and piece of wood while holding the shroud. Sometimes even a really hard rap won't do it.

2. Same setup except open vise and set back of turbine housing on vice jaws and let engine hang through the vice jaws. Put a rag or something underneath to catch the engine. Make sure the engine is clear and the rotor is against the turbine housing. Gives better support for tapping on the crankshaft/nut.

3. Either of above except use propane torch to heat up inside of aluminum rotor housing to help break loose the rotor when you tap the crank. Don't melt the blades.

4. Completely disassemble rotor, like you did, and remove the blades. Get a cheap battery post puller, or JMP's puller, and grasp outer edge of aluminum rotor with the blades and set the screw jack on the crank. Tighten but careful not to permanently bend the rotor base. If it won't give, and it sometimes won't, add heat as above. Be patient, the puller and heat will always get it.

5. If you took it apart, get it back together exactly as it was or you have to re-balance the rotor.

6. All of the above methods are NOT good in any way for your engine or fan. JMP recommends a drop of oil between the rotor and adapter to help it come apart, but my experience is the "V" ring is what sticks hard in the rotor.

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2003, 11:23 PM
Rice Rocket Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Fan from shroud

I have been reading all this since I just posted a question about removeing a Ramtec rotor. Finally did it with a 2 legged puller and a hammer. The last guy lost the rotor washer, 2013. Does anyone know where I can get one. I live in the Memphis area. Ken
Old 06-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Aeroloft does Ramtec

http://www.aeroloft.com/start.shtml