Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New AMA rules.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New AMA rules.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 10:44 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New AMA rules.

ORIGINAL: pilott28
Actually, the rules proposal from the safety committee wasn't asking for the removal of the speed limit, only that speed limiters not be required for all aircraft. By a unanimous vote, including consideration of the data, the EC agreed.
Hi Keith,

I'm slightly confused ... did you really mean "safety committe" above, or "TRC" ? TRC would seem to fit more with the discussion at hand.

According to Gordon Dickens (see post #17 in http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_15...tm.htm#1511300), it would appear that the proposal put forward by the TRC (backed up by the data that the JPO collected) had no speed limit in the rules at all, and that it was the AMA (safety committee) that decided that regardless of any data you had collected, they intended to have a 200 mph speed limit no matter what.

Am I misunderstanding (the other) Gordon's post ?

Gordon
Old 03-24-2004, 11:13 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: pilott28
Actually, the rules proposal from the safety committee wasn't asking for the removal of the speed limit, only that speed limiters not be required for all aircraft. By a unanimous vote, including consideration of the data, the EC agreed.
Hi Keith,

I'm slightly confused ... did you really mean "safety committe" above, or "TRC" ? TRC would seem to fit more with the discussion at hand.

According to Gordon Dickens (see post #17 in http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_15...tm.htm#1511300), it would appear that the proposal put forward by the TRC (backed up by the data that the JPO collected) had no speed limit in the rules at all, and that it was the AMA (safety committee) that decided that regardless of any data you had collected, they intended to have a 200 mph speed limit no matter what.

Am I misunderstanding (the other) Gordon's post ?

Gordon
Either term works. The TRC worked on the rules proposal, although officially, it operated under the auspices of the AMA Safety Committee and the EC looked at it as a Safety Committee report and proposal. This is splitting hairs, though.

The safety committee was not pushing for the abolishment of the speed limit at the February EC meeting. The proposal specified a 200 mph speed limit controlled by the pilot, as opposed to the prior regulation that mandated a speed limiter set to 200 if the T/W ratio was greater than .9 to 1. This was the recommendation of the TRC supported by the JPO (see position paper on the JPO site).

I guess the point of my response was that I was impressed with the EC at the meeting. They listened, asked good questions (most of them) and eventually voted the facts. After reading all the posts here early this year, I was not expecting what I saw. I think it is good news, and that we, as a SIG, raised ourselves in their eyes through the preparation and effort that went into the various presentations. Steve really deserves the lions share of the credit.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:44 PM
turbofan

ORIGINAL: Flanker

(cut)
TODAY is not the time to whine and complain about it! TODAY is the time to enjoy what we DO have! After a couple of years of working under this new agreement, it might be time to re-think the speed issue, the weight issue, the pilot requirements, or limitations on green airplanes.

Peace,

Flanker
AMA will never step back on the speed issue, since it is based on irrationality to begin with. And since the JPO has become an instrument of AMA, today is the time to found a new independent organization of jet pilots which leaves the insurance issue to certain homeowner insurances who cover model airplanes or to UMA (www.unitedmodelers.com), and which instead concentrates itself on the establishment of remote airfields for R/C jets.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:32 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: turbofan
AMA will never step back on the speed issue ...
Never say never. Many problems can be fixed - however, just as the first step in e.g. overcoming alcoholism has to be admitting that the problem actually exists, no solution to the speed limit problem is likely until we (publicly) admit that it is in fact a problem.

Gordon
Old 08-18-2004, 03:44 AM
inpieces
My Feedback: (1)

Possibly some of you veteran Turbine guys could help me out! PLEASE!

I am new to Turbines but experienced in R/C prop planes, rotors, and ducted fans.

I live in Oregon and so far I feel like a rarity in Jets, not to mention Turbines.

Can anyone tell me where to fly a turbine (Paved runway) in Oregon, SW Washington?

Would any of you ,if you are in Oregon, be willing to help me get certified as a turbine pilot???????

I really apprictiate any help any of you can provide.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:10 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

I suggest that you start a new thread and ask the same question. Someone from that area is more likely to see it and open it. Good luck.